What Do You Think About The Proposed Sites

Falcons Looking for New

Stadium Sites

Last Edited: Tuesday, 31 Mar 2009, 1:13 PM EDT

Created On: Tuesday, 31 Mar 2009, 9:50 AM EDT

Buck Lanford

- FOX 5 Sports has learned that the Falcons are actively pursuing potential sites around the Atlanta downtown area for a new football stadium.

Five locations that Falcon officials are considering: Fort McPherson in southwest Atlanta, the closed Doravile GM plant, Honor Farm, Bellwood Quarry and a current waste management facility in Forest Park, conveniently located near Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.

Falcons owner Arthur Blank wants a new football stadium when the teams lease expires, but that date is a moving target tied to the paying off of bonds issued to fund the Georgia Dome.

Blank says his number one goal is to build a new stadium downtown and he is optimistic that something can be worked out with the Georgia World Congress Center Authority. But in the meantime the Falcons are looking around.

The Falcons are locked into the dome until the bonds are paid off, currently near $100 million dollars. Original estimates had these bonds being retired by 2015.

But they are tied to the hotel-motel tax and with the slowing economy, it now looks to be somewhere between 2016 and 2018.

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/Falco...um_Sites_033009

GM Plant. The thought of having anywhere near to the amount of space Arizona's new University of Phoenix Stadium has makes me think parking prices will plummet if nothing else; although, I could be wrong. Either way it would be nice to go to/leave a game without all of the congestion and road closings/re-routing after games.

GM Plant. The thought of having anywhere near to the amount of space Arizona's new University of Phoenix Stadium has makes me think parking prices will plummet if nothing else; although, I could be wrong. Either way it would be nice to go to/leave a game without all of the congestion and road closings/re-routing after games.

Maybe the parking revenue would somewhat offset the increase in ticket prices. I would rather give $20 a home game to the Falcons than to an automated parking meter that has nothing for security and last night's party puke is still hanging around.

Maybe the parking revenue would somewhat offset the increase in ticket prices. I would rather give $20 a home game to the Falcons than to an automated parking meter that has nothing for security and last night's party puke is still hanging around.

Yeah I'm assuming they'll have a nice huge fence surrounding everything. I haven't seen much about Arizona's stadium except a huge parking lot surrounding it and then nothing else, but they may trick out the parking lot in every possible way (i.e. - guards, stadium lighting, security cameras) just to make parking as expensive or more than before.

Either way it doesn't matter. It's still the Atlanta Falcons. I wonder if all the urban sprawl is the reason for a lot of teams making these kind of moves. New England - Foxborough, Dallas - Irvine, San Fran was considering it. New York is getting a new stadium I just don't know where it is.

Yeah I'm assuming they'll have a nice huge fence surrounding everything. I haven't seen much about Arizona's stadium except a huge parking lot surrounding it and then nothing else, but they may trick out the parking lot in every possible way (i.e. - guards, stadium lighting, security cameras) just to make parking as expensive or more than before.

Either way it doesn't matter. It's still the Atlanta Falcons. I wonder if all the urban sprawl is the reason for a lot of teams making these kind of moves. New England - Foxborough, Dallas - Irvine, San Fran was considering it. New York is getting a new stadium I just don't know where it is.

The Giants stadium is still in East Rutherford, NJ. I drove by it once and traffic was at a stand still for 2 hours. I think having close and multiple highway access would be a good change to weaving through Atlanta for 5 to 10 blocks. I looked at U of Phoenix stadium and it has a 25 acre parking lot and 10 acres is grass dedicated to tailgating. The GM plant has 165 acres. I think the trick is finding enough businesses willing to lease or purchase portions of the plant since it is quite enormous.

This is funny because I actually thought of the Ft. Mac site as a possible choice for the stadium for a research project. If there wasn't one downtown I feel Ft. Mac is the best alternative. If a big event comes to the stadium (Super Bowl, SEC championship, ACC basketball tourney) I feel the the out of towners waat to stay in downtown and see what Atlanta has to offer and I doubt they want to commute 45 mins to the new stadium (this is via Marta) Meanwhile, Ft. Mac is more like 10 mins and people can stay in hotels downtown and by the airport and still have a short commute to the stadium. Keep in mind that Ft mac is over 400 acres and has plenty of opportunity for other mixed uses. Any input would be appreciated. I thought of making a thread about this (dedicated to my research project) but didn't feel it was appropiate. Now that the news actually mentioned my idea as a realistic choice I might as well take advantage.

The GM Plant is a nightmare waiting to happen. Here are my reasons why Doraville will be a bad choice...

- Traffic would be a nightmare. Traffic is bad on that side of town 7 days a week, most people would have to travel trough downtown or drive around I-285. Major bottleneck

- Hotel space is limited for Falcon Fans coming from out of town. No major Resturants or good eateries not to mention no nightlife activities.

- The city of Atlanta will give the Falcons a major TAX break to reamain in Fulton County and close to downtown.

- There isn't a good transportaion system in Gwinett to support the fans.... If they do build the staduim at the GM plant they must plan on having a huge parking lot.... Monday night game would be impossible....

It's weird that the majority of the Fans that complain about the location of the dome, live in Gwinett county. We can't help that you moved out to the country now you want major companies and events to cater to your area.

The GM Plant is a nightmare waiting to happen. Here are my reasons why Doraville will be a bad choice...

- Traffic would be a nightmare. Traffic is bad on that side of town 7 days a week, most people would have to travel trough downtown or drive around I-285. Major bottleneck

- Hotel space is limited for Falcon Fans coming from out of town. No major Resturants or good eateries not to mention no nightlife activities.

- The city of Atlanta will give the Falcons a major TAX break to reamain in Fulton County and close to downtown.

- There isn't a good transportaion system in Gwinett to support the fans.... If they do build the staduim at the GM plant they must plan on having a huge parking lot.... Monday night game would be impossible....

It's weird that the majority of the Fans that complain about the location of the dome, live in Gwinett county. We can't help that you moved out to the country now you want major companies and events to cater to your area.

I guess it depends on your version of traffic is bad on that side of town 7 days a week. Try only at rush hour 5 days a week. Traffic is always much worse the closer inside 285. There is a whole string of restaurants, hotels, etc in the general area but the point is the plant is 165 acres. Do you know how big that is? All of the parking for U of Phoenix stadium is 25 acres. Obviously with 165 acres the idea would be to build up attractions around the stadium much like they are doing around the Gwinnet Braves. By the way this is not in Gwinnett it is Dekalb and MARTA goes right to the plant so that will take care of those not wishing to drive through Atlanta. It is closer and more convenient to most of North Metro not just Gwinnett. As for bottlenecking 285, 85, 400 as well as multiple side roads are available. Most of the traffic currently bottle necks downtown because it takes 5 to 10 blocks on 2 lane roads inside the city. Right across 285 is Buford Highway another major street surface that actually has more than two lanes. I never once complained about where I live. With more and more minor league sports coming to the area at a fraction of the cost. Why would I? I don't mind driving downtown 10 times a year. I have been doing it for nearly 4 decades. I think the problem is those who got used to it being close or those on the other side of the city.

One more note, Gwinnett landwise is 4 times as large as the City of Atlanta and yet Atlanta has more than twice as many people in it. With so many directions to go people from Gwinnett, believe it or not won't necessarily go to downtown Atlanta on the weekends whereas if you are already in Atlanta then the only way to go is out from the center.

If and when they build a new stadium expect ticket prices to go through the roof.

And this will become extremely political because of the income the area around the stadium would generate.

Not to worry.

At the current rate of our collapsing economy, there probably won't be an NFL by the time the current Dome deal is up. LOL :o

Falcons Looking for New

Stadium Sites

Last Edited: Tuesday, 31 Mar 2009, 1:13 PM EDT

Created On: Tuesday, 31 Mar 2009, 9:50 AM EDT

Buck Lanford

- FOX 5 Sports has learned that the Falcons are actively pursuing potential sites around the Atlanta downtown area for a new football stadium.

Five locations that Falcon officials are considering: Fort McPherson in southwest Atlanta, the closed Doravile GM plant, Honor Farm, Bellwood Quarry and a current waste management facility in Forest Park, conveniently located near Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.

Falcons owner Arthur Blank wants a new football stadium when the teams lease expires, but that date is a moving target tied to the paying off of bonds issued to fund the Georgia Dome.

Blank says his number one goal is to build a new stadium downtown and he is optimistic that something can be worked out with the Georgia World Congress Center Authority. But in the meantime the Falcons are looking around.

The Falcons are locked into the dome until the bonds are paid off, currently near $100 million dollars. Original estimates had these bonds being retired by 2015.

But they are tied to the hotel-motel tax and with the slowing economy, it now looks to be somewhere between 2016 and 2018.

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/Falco...um_Sites_033009

I like downtown or the Ft Mac site. Anything close to the southside is good for me. I'm in Clayton County down by the racetrack.

Traffic is bad there, but same as downtown. It's nothing Sunday's

Hotels and restaurants will come if we build a new stadium. Plus, it's all of 15 minutes from downtown

Atlanta doesn't have any money. They don't even have money for cops :lol:

I know MARTA goes to Doraville. Don't know where that actually ends up, but we would have enough time to extend it out

I don't live in Gwinett, but I'm tired of bad parking, long walks, awful traffic, crackheads. Some of that would improve on the move. But it doesn't matter to me. I leave town before the next Falcons game (but I plan to rock the red and black jersey to St. Louis in preseason).