Some Crows Disrespected Me Today

womfalcs3

There were three crows trying to eat some food in a bag that was in the middle of the street. Cars kept coming and going though, so they had to constantly fly down from the tree and back.

So I crossed the street, slightly increasing my risk for death due to my position compared to the sidewalk, I took the bag, and dropped it on the grass to the side.

What do they do?

They sit in the tree for a minute, and then fly off to another tree in the distance.

Not even a thank you. <_<

They could've eaten some of it in appreciation.

I was eating at Pat's in Philly one day when a friend threw a french fry into the street. What happened next ruined my lunch.

A pigeon landed on the tasty morsel and was prompty ran over by a car. I'm talking blood and guts everywhere! There was an 18 inch trail of red. Then about 7 or 8 pigeons started eating the roadkill pigeon. Freakin canibals is what I'm talking about!

Womfalc, you did a good thing today no matter how little it was appreciated. Stand tall.

Should have eaten at Gino's instead!!!

I was eating at Pat's in Philly one day when a friend threw a french fry into the street. What happened next ruined my lunch.

A pigeon landed on the tasty morsel and was prompty ran over by a car. I'm talking blood and guts everywhere! There was an 18 inch trail of red. Then about 7 or 8 pigeons started eating the roadkill pigeon. Freakin canibals is what I'm talking about!

Womfalc, you did a good thing today no matter how little it was appreciated. Stand tall.

Crows rock.

Statistics:

Average Lifespan in the wild: 14-24 years

Diet: Anything!

Speed: 30-60 mph

Social life: Monogamous, both sexes raise young

Gregarious, adaptable, and extremely intelligent, crows can be found anywhere, especially around humans and their trash. Though often associated with death in European cultures, many indigenous North American cultures regard crows as benevolent tricksters.

Random Fun Facts

During the Black Plague, doctors would wear crow-shaped masks as they made their rounds. The large “beaks” held perfume to mask the stench.

The size of a crow's brain relative to its total mass is more similar to that of mammals, including primates, than that of other birds. Furthermore, crows have pronounced forebrains, the part responsible for learning and memory.

Crows can count to 6.

Black feathers are stronger than lighter ones.

Crows “allopreen” (pick bugs off their mates) just like primates.

Many 1-2 year-old crows stay at home to help raise their siblings

Crows spread crushed ants over their bodies as an insecticide (and possibly as an intoxicant – party on!!)

Mythology

Odin, the chief god in the Norse pantheon, has two ravens, Hugin (Thought) and Munin (Memory), who fly around the world and report news back to him each night.

The Inuit people have a tale of how Crow brought daylight to their world, similar to the Tlingit legend starring Raven.

Other Myths and Legends about crows

Misconceptions

“As the crow flies” means “in a straight line;” however, crows tend to meander as much as the rest of us.

Heckle & Jeckle are actually magpies.

The name of the “Crow” tribe of Native Americans (the Absaroka or Apsáalooke tribe) is a misnomer. Their sister tribe, the Hidatsa, called them the “people of the large-beaked bird,” which early explorers mistranslated as “people of the crow.” Eagles and buffalo play much larger roles in Absaroka legends than crows do.

There were three crows trying to eat some food in a bag that was in the middle of the street. Cars kept coming and going though, so they had to constantly fly down from the tree and back.

So I crossed the street, slightly increasing my risk for death due to my position compared to the sidewalk, I took the bag, and dropped it on the grass to the side.

What do they do?

They sit in the tree for a minute, and then fly off to another tree in the distance.

Not even a thank you. <_<

They could've eaten some of it in appreciation.

They probably heard what you said about the owls.