UGA offers Mike Anderson Head Coaching Job

SacFalcFan

Supposedly Memphis has matched UK's offer to John Calipari.... which could delay coach Cal's decision. That could play into our favor, as Memphis would not be able to move on another coach until Cal makes his decision.

Either way I'm excited Evans is truly swinging for the fences on this one.

Supposedly Memphis has matched UK's offer to John Calipari.... which could delay coach Cal's decision. That could play into our favor, as Memphis would not be able to move on another coach until Cal makes his decision.

Either way I'm excited Evans is truly swinging for the fences on this one.

there is a plane leaving missouri today and arriving that should include mike anderson.. about 2:30pm

also read this.. regarding calipari.

No idea on specifics, but more and more outlets seem to be reporting what I heard last night.....the Memphis boosters, Fred Smith (FedEx CEO), McCLendon (southeast's biggest cotton ginner), all got together with Cal last night and offered some sort of "lifetime deal" that would set Cal up to retire with Memphis and have an incredible retirement package if he stays....all those guys are very good friends with him as well, so it was probably a very persuasive presentation, and it sounds as though it's actually a bigger financial package annually, and long term than what UK is offering......the longer this drags on, you gotta think the more likely it is that he'll stay in Memphis..........very interesting to follow...

...Gettin' that kind of love in Memphis has to make this a very tough move. That doesn't even include the likelihood of him cutting down the nets at UM in the next few years.

What he means by lifetime deal is one that would beat UK's in terms of time and money, pretty much allow him to stay as long as possible, and have retirement pot sweeteners. That would help us with Anderson New update: 11:42 Cal situation. He goes to the same doughnut shop every day in Memphis, and meet some buddies. Apparently he told them this... "Things will be OK here...Taking the job is the easy part of the decision. Leaving here is the hard part." He said that he is going to drive around Memphis today and weigh his options. We will have confirmation on him one way or the other. I expect that we will have to wait on Anderson's decision until after this plays out. Side note, Arizona came in with a blank check approach to find out what it would take to get Cal and he said that he wouldn't go there.

I really dont think he'll stay at Mizzou where its UGA, Memphis or maybe even Kentucky I think he'll go for the money and being closer to home

memphis is not involved yet.. the earlier report was bogus.. no contact has been made or asked for by memphis for mike anderson.. the sooner this ends the better for uga.

Blurb from Andy Katz's column on espn.com:

• If Anderson doesn't take an expected offer from Georgia, the Bulldogs are expected to turn to Miami's Frank Haith with an outside shot that Clemson's Oliver Purnell could be in the fray.

Thoughts on these guys if we can't get Anderson?

Blurb from Andy Katz's column on espn.com:

• If Anderson doesn't take an expected offer from Georgia, the Bulldogs are expected to turn to Miami's Frank Haith with an outside shot that Clemson's Oliver Purnell could be in the fray.

Thoughts on these guys if we can't get Anderson?

I don't like Frank Haith at all. And Oliver Purnell is a pretty popular, well-known coach, but I don't like his game-plans. He did a poor job this season at making half-time adjustments IMO and his teams tend to turn the ball over quite a bit.

Id go after Travis Ford or Scott Drew before I went after Haith

Travis Ford is a great coach. I also like Scott Drew. To start with, he's a very good recruiter. People will look at his career coaching record and wonder about him, but that's only because he took over a Baylor program that was a complete mess at the time (after Dave Bliss left). I've watched plenty of Baylor games, and Drew always has his guys playing hard and going after every loose ball. He also draws up some very intricate out-of-bounds plays.

If it came down to Haith, Purnell, or Drew, UGA better get Drew. You know what you're getting with Haith and Purnell....average coaches who aren't going to take the UGA program to the next level. Although Drew would be a little riskier, it would be for the better. He would bring top talent to UGA and I think he could be successful.