The reason why Laurent will be the starter

hakim24

Think about this:

In 2007, our WR corps was GREAT.... I think it was even better than what it was in 2008...... with QB's like Leftwich, Joey, and Redman.

Roddy had a BIG year this year, but I really feel as though Laurent opened up more opportunities for him . He only had about 100 yards more in 2008 and I know it sounds kind of weird, but I think we could get more out of him. I believe a combo of Matt Ryan, Roddy, and Laurent would be even more productive than our group this year, which is hard to believe.

Laurent can stretch the field and take some double teams away from Roddy. Jenkins is an above-average possession receiver, who is better suited for short and mid passes. I think teams understood that, focused in on Roddy, and Ryan threw more picks because of forced balls.

If Laurent is in there, those defenses won't be able to key on those short routes. Teams would have a VERY tough time putting 8 in the box because you have 2 deep threats in Roddy and Laurent on the outside. That would allow Turner to get more opportunities.

I see Jenkins as one of those reliable players that TD covets. He is versatile enough to play the slot and the outside. I think, by mid-season, he will be in a role similar to Finneran with more involvement. I see him lining up at multiple spots and rotating a bunch between the slot and outside WR. Laurent and Roddy will be the main guys on the outside, but I see Jenkins still heavily involved to earn that contract of his.

Think of what Laurent and Roddy did with those TERRIBLE QB's in 07...... now think what they can do with Matt Ryan. :o

Think about this:

In 2007, our WR corps was GREAT.... I think it was even better than what it was in 2008...... with QB's like Leftwich, Joey, and Redman.

Roddy had a BIG year this year, but I really feel as though Laurent opened up more opportunities for him . He only had about 100 yards more in 2008 and I know it sounds kind of weird, but I think we could get more out of him. I believe a combo of Matt Ryan, Roddy, and Laurent would be even more productive than our group this year, which is hard to believe.

Laurent can stretch the field and take some double teams away from Roddy. Jenkins is an above-average possession receiver, who is better suited for short and mid passes. I think teams understood that, focused in on Roddy, and Ryan threw more picks because of forced balls.

If Laurent is in there, those defenses won't be able to key on those short routes. Teams would have a VERY tough time putting 8 in the box because you have 2 deep threats in Roddy and Laurent on the outside. That would allow Turner to get more opportunities.

I see Jenkins as one of those reliable players that TD covets. He is versatile enough to play the slot and the outside. I think, by mid-season, he will be in a role similar to Finneran with more involvement. I see him lining up at multiple spots and rotating a bunch between the slot and outside WR. Laurent and Roddy will be the main guys on the outside, but I see Jenkins still heavily involved to earn that contract of his.

Think of what Laurent and Roddy did with those TERRIBLE QB's in 07...... now think what they can do with Matt Ryan. :o

Our recivers should really be a great strength for us this year ...... cant wait to see our 5 wide package

Laurent Robinson will probably not be starting by midseason next year. Granted he is more athletic than Jenkins, that does not neccesarily mean he is a better receiver. Jenkins runs good routes, has decent hands and most importantly for him is he is an awesome downfield blocker. Laurent Robinson won't be taking any double teams away from Roddy. He is not that good of a WR yet. I hope you are not expecting to see Fitzgerald and Boldin numbers with White and our No.2 WR. Cause that won't happen.

Another thing you don't want to mess with is QB to WR chemistry. Matt Ryan has had a full year to build chemistry with White and Jenkins. That and the fact that he is a much better blocker means he is going to be hard to bench. I agree that our WR core will be better next year, but i dont expect them to put up huge numbers like the Cardinals. We are a run first team.

We got White putting up top 5 numbers for WRs. Turner puttin up top 5 numbers for RBs. Our number 2 WR should probably be around the 700 yd range. Thats what i think atleast.

Laurent Robinson will probably not be starting by midseason next year. Granted he is more athletic than Jenkins, that does not neccesarily mean he is a better receiver. Jenkins runs good routes, has decent hands and most importantly for him is he is an awesome downfield blocker. Laurent Robinson won't be taking any double teams away from Roddy. He is not that good of a WR yet. I hope you are not expecting to see Fitzgerald and Boldin numbers with White and our No.2 WR. Cause that won't happen.

Another thing you don't want to mess with is QB to WR chemistry. Matt Ryan has had a full year to build chemistry with White and Jenkins. That and the fact that he is a much better blocker means he is going to be hard to bench. I agree that our WR core will be better next year, but i dont expect them to put up huge numbers like the Cardinals. We are a run first team.

We got White putting up top 5 numbers for WRs. Turner puttin up top 5 numbers for RBs. Our number 2 WR should probably be around the 700 yd range. Thats what i think atleast.

Robinson runs better routes, has MUCH better hands, and is MUCH faster, with the ability to break away. He is just better catching the ball than Jenkins. I agree that Jenkins out does him in blocking, but a WR's main job is to catch the football and make plays. They aren't TE's. Most of the time, they aren't even involved in run plays. An occasional long run, but other than that, they are not very involved.

I'm not saying that Laurent will immediately take away double teams, but he can be a HUGE factor as a deep threat. Most teams played us by doubling or zoning off Roddy with a Corner and a safety. The other Safety would usually be in the box to help stop our run. Jenkins was usually one-on-one against mainly every team with no safety help.

If Laurent is in there, his deep threat ability can force teams to either stop doubling Roddy or take that other Safety out of the box against us. Jenkins never really forced a team to pay attention to him. He is solid, but in 5 years, he hasn't managed a 100 yard game yet. I know he is improving, but he just isn't a threat that will make teams start respecting him enough to pay more attention to him.

Laurent can keep those safeties honest and just his ability to do that could open up even more opportunities for our offense.

And I don't expect us to be a run first team for very long. The NFL is a business and Arthur Blank and the Falcons want to make Matt Ryan into a big star..... Tom Brady-Like star. Don't expect Ryan to have stats like 9 of 14 for 183 yards and 1 TD for much longer. Maybe one more year of protection, but trust me, the guys upstairs are trying to create a superstar that they can sell to more than just Atlanta fans. It's all about the Money. Just winning doesn't do it all. Ryan is going to be slinging it MUCH more in the coming years.... mark my words.

Unless something clicks for him, Robinson will not become the starter next year. yes he flashes those moment sof brilliance and can make some great catches... but at this point in time (and over the next season IMO) Jenkins is the just better football player.

I disagree that Robinson runs betetr routes and has better hands. Sure he's more athletic and therefore can get breaks more easily, but he did make a lot of drops also 2 years ago.

Perhaps 2 seasons in the future he might become a starter, but I don't see it happenning next season,

Robinson runs better routes, has MUCH better hands, and is MUCH faster, with the ability to break away. He is just better catching the ball than Jenkins. I agree that Jenkins out does him in blocking, but a WR's main job is to catch the football and make plays. They aren't TE's. Most of the time, they aren't even involved in run plays. An occasional long run, but other than that, they are not very involved.

I'm not saying that Laurent will immediately take away double teams, but he can be a HUGE factor as a deep threat. Most teams played us by doubling or zoning off Roddy with a Corner and a safety. The other Safety would usually be in the box to help stop our run. Jenkins was usually one-on-one against mainly every team with no safety help.

If Laurent is in there, his deep threat ability can force teams to either stop doubling Roddy or take that other Safety out of the box against us. Jenkins never really forced a team to pay attention to him. He is solid, but in 5 years, he hasn't managed a 100 yard game yet. I know he is improving, but he just isn't a threat that will make teams start respecting him enough to pay more attention to him.

Laurent can keep those safeties honest and just his ability to do that could open up even more opportunities for our offense.

And I don't expect us to be a run first team for very long. The NFL is a business and Arthur Blank and the Falcons want to make Matt Ryan into a big star..... Tom Brady-Like star. Don't expect Ryan to have stats like 9 of 14 for 183 yards and 1 TD for much longer. Maybe one more year of protection, but trust me, the guys upstairs are trying to create a superstar that they can sell to more than just Atlanta fans. It's all about the Money. Just winning doesn't do it all. Ryan is going to be slinging it MUCH more in the coming years.... mark my words.

Wrs are very involved in running plays. Just because Laurent is fast does not mean he will be keeping safeties honest and dominate 1 v 1's all the time. You are talking about potential. Yes he has potential to be a better no.2 WR than Jenkins is, but right now he is not. I don't expect him to jump to the No.2 spot by mid season. I don't expect him to do it at all this season, but who knows with injuries and what not.

I know the NFL is a business but your crazy if you think that we are going to call our plays based on making money. Out of all the superbowls and games that the Patriots have won. Brady has only had one or two seasons where he had amazing qb numbers. I guarantee our FO is not trying to make him out to be some pass heavy qb. They are focused on winning championships, not the image of our qb. Now if the NFL changes into a pass happy league which it might with all the short passes then i can see us maybe not being so run heavy, but it will not be because we want our QB to have a new image. Winning does do it all.

ben roethlisberger...not exactly a gunslinger in terms of top 3 qb numbers, that is the kind of passing yardage we can expect from Matty in the next few years...but he will be better than ben.

As for Laurent, the beauty of Jenks is that he is a great blocker, and great in the slot, so if Laurent finally stops getting injured, the three receiver set becomes more obvious, and very dangerous. 4 and 5 sets become pretty much best in the league when you throw in Finn and HD... Laurent is a massive potential guy, I hope he stops getting injured. It is also common knowledge that WRs run better routes with age, so he has time.

And to say WRs dont have important blocking roles is just plain dumb... when you have a good blocking WR, you know about it.