ZIGGY IS THE REAL DEAL

Phil22

I think we have other more immediate needs, but I wouldn't mind Ziggy at all. We need someone to spell Babs and supply a constant pass rush

Spell Babs? How about start next to babs which Ziggy would do easily. The guy is 6-3 305+ and a perfect fit for the NT spot in the cover-2. Grady Jackson was a horrible fit for us as much as i love the guy but we do not need someone like him in this scheme. We need a quicker DT who can still stop the run.

Spell Babs? How about start next to babs which Ziggy would do easily. The guy is 6-3 305+ and a perfect fit for the NT spot in the cover-2. Grady Jackson was a horrible fit for us as much as i love the guy but we do not need someone like him in this scheme. We need a quicker DT who can still stop the run.

this topic has been in like 5 threads, but I think Ziggy's skill set as being an explosive pass rusher, would be best utilized as a UT in a 4-3 scheme. If you ask him to play NT, he will be capable, but why would you want to ask a guy to play in a spot that would not maximize his potential? A NT is a guy that controls two gaps and holds strong against the run. Why would you ask that of a talented pass rusher? It just doesn't make sense. The Falcons can easily find a big NT for a much cheaper price to clog space, and then can set Ziggy up in a position where he can isolate on the guard and get at the passer. I don't think, unless you have an absolute stud on your hands, you draft a NT in round one, and I definetely don't think you should draft a UT in round one, pay him round one money, and then stick him at NT where most of his value gets taken away...

this topic has been in like 5 threads, but I think Ziggy's skill set as being an explosive pass rusher, would be best utilized as a UT in a 4-3 scheme. If you ask him to play NT, he will be capable, but why would you want to ask a guy to play in a spot that would not maximize his potential? A NT is a guy that controls two gaps and holds strong against the run. Why would you ask that of a talented pass rusher? It just doesn't make sense. The Falcons can easily find a big NT for a much cheaper price to clog space, and then can set Ziggy up in a position where he can isolate on the guard and get at the passer. I don't think, unless you have an absolute stud on your hands, you draft a NT in round one, and I definetely don't think you should draft a UT in round one, pay him round one money, and then stick him at NT where most of his value gets taken away...

The same reason all the good NT's can do it. Haynesworth has a outstanding pass rush as does Henderson and many other good NT's. Why would you ever want a 1 trick pony at that position when you can have a 3 down player that can do it all. The only time a NT should a gap guy that just holds people is in a 3-4 scheme in my opinion. In the 4-3 it works much better when both of your DT's can not only stop the run but also get great pressure. The vikings and Jaguars worked this to perfection which is why their lines were some of the best in the business.

The same reason all the good NT's can do it. Haynesworth has a outstanding pass rush as does Henderson and many other good NT's. Why would you ever want a 1 trick pony at that position when you can have a 3 down player that can do it all. The only time a NT should a gap guy that just holds people is in a 3-4 scheme in my opinion. In the 4-3 it works much better when both of your DT's can not only stop the run but also get great pressure. The vikings and Jaguars worked this to perfection which is why their lines were some of the best in the business.

you may be right, I def think Hood presents some good versatility as NT in pass situations. I'm just not so sure about how he'll handle consistent double teams. I'm a lot more sure of what we're getting with him isolating on one guard though...

you may be right, I def think Hood presents some good versatility as NT in pass situations. I'm just not so sure about how he'll handle consistent double teams. I'm a lot more sure of what we're getting with him isolating on one guard though...

Hey it might not be ziggy thats your man for the job :) I personally like Moala better than ziggy for our NT spot. Ziggy just isn't a bad choice if he is whats left to choose from and i wouldn't complain about him. I just really prefer a full NT with all the tools to do everything. Ron Brace is the one guy i can't stand for our scheme as he will be a liability like Grady was if they decide to call a pass play on a running down. What we should be doing is getting outstanding strong line backers that are sure tacklers. Brooking always pissed me off saying he needs a big butt in front of him to be good. As long as you got good very aware lb's who know how to tackle well and can shed blocks well then your set in our scheme.

without a reliable DT our whole defense will suffer .... im not saying he has to be selected at 24 but def in the first 3 rounds we need to go Dtakle

We can get a good Cover 2 type DT in the 2nd round, no need to waste a first rounder on a DT, also Lewis is coming back and if the falcons draft a DE, Anderson would share more time at the DT spot.