Simple Solution To Fix The Economy

How Would You Fix The Economy?

Posted March 19th, 2009 by Fountainhead

This is an article from the St. Petersburg Times Newspaper on Sunday

Dear Mr. President,

Patriotic retirement:

There's about 40 million people over age 50 in the work force ... pay them $1 million a piece severance with the following stipulations:

1 They leave their jobs. Forty million job openings ... unemployment fixed.

2 They buy brand new American cars. Forty million cars ordered ... Auto Industry fixed.

3 They either buy a new house or pay off their mortgage ... Housing Crisis fixed.

Can't get any easier than that!

Every household in the U.S. should call the Whitehouse and demand this be done!

Dear Mr. President,

Patriotic retirement:

There's about 40 million people over age 50 in the work force ... pay them $1 million a piece severance with the following stipulations:

2 They buy brand new American cars. Forty million cars ordered ... Auto Industry fixed.

3 They either buy a new house or pay off their mortgage ... Housing Crisis fixed.

Is this $1M tax free? How do you stop people from reentering the work place? $1M may not be enough of an incentive for some to stop working, in particular those in upper level management positions. It's a nice idea, but it reeks of coming from someone of a young demographic.

Dear Mr. President,

Patriotic retirement:

let me guess.. you're over 50. :rolleyes:

How about had the gov simply gave the trillions they have doled out to "save" companies and institutions to private oitizens?

That would have **** sure fixed a lot of problems.

so why should workers over the age of fifty get something for nothing? Why not just use the bailout money to bailout private citizens and give everyone something for nothing?

PP, are you okay? You seem more offended than usual today.

I didn't say I agree with this article. i just found it interesting and suitable for discussion.

My ideas was a bit different.

It would be partly green energy partly WW II era wag-the-dog consumer buying.

Basically we would create a card, like a Kroger's plus/ Sam's type card, where every household eligible for one per.

The card would give you free purchases of things like energy efficient lightbulbs, window sealant (households lose alot of energy that way) and other purchasable commodities that overall minimize people's energy footprint, and tend to be made in America, oil changes, tire replacement and other car maintenance (helps save energy) and other such goods and services.

It would be scaled so that people who can afford to buy these things outright like upper-middle class folks, would receive discounts on it, while people who are below the poverty line and such, would get it free outright, with a limit on the number their household can get free, and maybe after a certain quota they would simply receive discounts on the rest.

It would basically be trying to get people back used to going out and shopping in stores, with free/discounted goods, and also be items that collectively would have a positive impact on the nation's energy consumption and could help out some businesses like auto shops and domestic goods manufacturers.

It would hinge on a huge advertising blitz to make people aware of the program, but also to encourage people to be more conscious of ways they can save money on energy, while aiding the recovery of our economy.

Part two would be that the U.S. would make a deal with certain stable banks, that they guarantee small loans to people who had overall good credit in their lives, but maybe made a bad home decision and messed up their whole rating. I think the housing market collapse did some of it's worse damage by having normally reliable people with good-credit, turn into people who aren't trusted with any credit. The goal would be that people would earn the trust of banks by paying back small, low interest loans, and would work themselves up to be eligible for larger, riskier loans, which the government would back less and less, until people would be back to having a decent credit rating and earning full bank trust.

It would attempt to weed out people who have bad habits such as not paying things back on time, while rewarding those who show themselves trustworthy. The loans that are used for small businesses and such would primarily be geared towards low-risk or high-need ventures, like a local grocery mart, or an auto-repair shop.

The idea isn't finished, and it would be fairly expensive, but I think overall it would do a better job to alleviate the fear of buying than some of the other things that have been tried. Because sending people a stimulus check and saying please buy something, doesn't work as well as saying, free stuff that can help you save money. Alot of people save the money from the stimulus anyway.

Do you think these two things could help?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

3rd grade math.

You should go on "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?". Oh wait.

It wouldn't be a big deal if you hadn't tried to correct somebody else (who was already correct) by being wrong at such a simple operation.

I'd kill it since I'd actually be mentally fresh for it and actually have a decent night's sleep in a plush hotel. :D

From the "Cap" expert. :lol:

Not 40 PEOPLE over 50...40 MILLION people.

I kid, because I care.

You kid because you had the rare opportunity to catch me on a rare bad day... :P

Dear Mr. President,

Patriotic retirement:

40 million living on $50K/year for the rest of their lives??

How many of that 40M over 50 are already working for the government?

Until there is greater revenue coming into the government, they will be slashing jobs. The majority of unemployment is coming from slashes in the finance sector, with another good portion slated as early 2009 cuts at the government level.

As for the cars, I WANT OPTIONS DANG-IT! The people saying alternative vehicles aren't cost effective are out of their minds bat-chit.

Actually I'm STUNNED at the ads I'm seeing in the flyers where AUTO PRICES haven't really fallen to a "cheap" level yet. I would holdout on ANY new car purchase because I know as a consumer I've got those ******** by the balls now. I would never buy an American auto unless by some tragedy I was unable to afford ANY personal transport.

I'm curious to see how this issue is affecting Atlanta's push for increased rail transit along the beltline.

Personally I hope the accounting rules in this country are changed to reflect a true realization of assets. The old "Hey man, I'm good for it" philosophy is getting waaaaaaay old when the future is merely implied.