Larry English, DE, NIU

A-TowN.-

Larry English, DE, NIU  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Would you take him with the first pick?

• Yes
    • No

no i would not be upset. id love to get english at #24 or maybe slide down a bit and pick him. i would love to pick him up. hes one of my favorite prospects in the draft.

-Mr. Offseason

I changed the poll question ha. It was typed awkwardly ha.

But I agree, I think he could really turn out to be a very good player in this league. He plays with so much energy.

If we ran a lot of 3-4 looks then I would be very happy with him.

But I don't think he will ever develop physically enough to hold up against the run as a 4-3 End (even after a couple of years in the weight room).

I see him as a pure situational pass rusher, and I don't think that's worth a 1st round pick - a second maybe, but he'll be gone by then.

The value is him going to a 3-4 teams as a rush OLB.

Larry English doesn't fit the scheme as we see it but the FO wants the top DE-OLB pass rusher available so I would like the pick if he was still there.

How do you figure that Larry English doesnt fit the scheme, so are you saying that Abe doesnt fit our scheme either.

How do you figure that Larry English doesnt fit the scheme, so are you saying that Abe doesnt fit our scheme either.

No :lol: I'm saying that English is seen to probably transition to OLB once in the NFL in which case he appears to be best suited for a 3-4 team which is why "we" as in some people on this message board have said he would not fit our scheme but it looks like the FO wants a DE or OLB who can rush the QB so I would be happy with picking him if he is available.

No :lol: I'm saying that English is seen to probably transition to OLB once in the NFL in which case he appears to be best suited for a 3-4 team which is why "we" as in some people on this message board have said he would not fit our scheme but it looks like the FO wants a DE or OLB who can rush the QB so I would be happy with picking him if he is available.

Oh, because i see him as a RDE, coming in on passing downs in his first year, until he learns the scheme and gets his experience in the NFL and shows that he can play the run. He can eventually replace ABe or play for ABe if he gets hurt. He can also play OLB if we do some 3-4 sets. My bad Sir. :D

For those who dont see him as a DE then there is only a 5 pound difference between English and Abe, and I am pretty sure that Abe wasnt 260 coming out of college.

Oh, because i see him as a RDE, coming in on passing downs in his first year, until he learns the scheme and gets his experience in the NFL and shows that he can play the run. He can eventually replace ABe or play for ABe if he gets hurt. He can also play OLB if we do some 3-4 sets. My bad Sir. :D

For those who dont see him as a DE then there is only a 5 pound difference between English and Abe, and I am pretty sure that Abe wasnt 260 coming out of college.

No problem :D. I could see him playing DE since he is so similar to Abe in body type.

Can anyone educate me on English? I know Mr. O likes him so thats got me intrigued. I don't know much about him even though i agree that we need a pass rusher. I just don't see how this guy went from a 3-4th round pick to mid-1st. I also know he is more of a tweener LB/DE that would best be suited in the 3-4, right?

Can anyone educate me on English? I know Mr. O likes him so thats got me intrigued. I don't know much about him even though i agree that we need a pass rusher. I just don't see how this guy went from a 3-4th round pick to mid-1st. I also know he is more of a tweener LB/DE that would best be suited in the 3-4, right?

He is purely a RDE, he reminds me alot of Abe. He has the ability to speed rush the QB, the power to bull rush, and the pass rush moves to get the QB. If he did get drafted to a 3-4 he would be like Lamar Woodly (Thanks to Pit &Atlanta for the player comparison). He is listed at 255, I think that he can play at 26O and still maintain his quickness. He has a non-stop motor, which helps alot regarding getting to the QB. YOu can check out plenty of YouTube clips on him, sorry i dont have any links cant access youtube at work. He could have an immediate impact on passing downs, and would play OLB in some 3-4 sets. He would be groomed to be Abe replacement at RDE, he wouldn't be a great fit as an Everydown DE on the Left side.

He is purely a RDE, he reminds me alot of Abe. He has the ability to speed rush the QB, the power to bull rush, and the pass rush moves to get the QB. If he did get drafted to a 3-4 he would be like Lamar Woodly (Thanks to Pit &Atlanta for the player comparison). He is listed at 255, I think that he can play at 26O and still maintain his quickness. He has a non-stop motor, which helps alot regarding getting to the QB. YOu can check out plenty of YouTube clips on him, sorry i dont have any links cant access youtube at work. He could have an immediate impact on passing downs, and would play OLB in some 3-4 sets. He would be groomed to be Abe replacement at RDE, he wouldn't be a great fit as an Everydown DE on the Left side.

Thanks man. I'll look up some videos.

I'd be very happy w/ English. He has been more consistent pass rusher in college & is not the NFL project that MJ is for example.

& English was a four starter

I agree that English would be a good pickup, but you cant always go with the safe pick, especially when it comes to getting a quality pass rusher. We have been struck with the JA98 syndrome, we are scared to take risks, as longs as they are calculated which is what TD is doing we can take some risks.

I agree that English would be a good pickup, but you cant always go with the safe pick, especially when it comes to getting a quality pass rusher. We have been struck with the JA98 syndrome, we are scared to take risks, as longs as they are calculated which is what TD is doing we can take some risks.

Hey, as I've said I trust TD & whoever he picks will be fine w/ me.

English has done more (as in produced more sacks) for a longer period of time - I believe English has more upside than MJ

English>>MJ - I'm not saying I'm right it's jmho

& both are prbly a liability vs the run, which if we don't stop first it won't really matter how good our pass rush is.

I've been watching more and more on English. How could you not want this person on your team? He will make some NFL team very, very happy, and hopefully we are that team. In three years, he has 46. 5 TFL, 30 sacks, 8 FF. That's impressive and it shows consistency every year. Solid player. Since I don't know how to upload the videos I have, I'll let ya see some youtube :P