Alanta Falcons want a top pass rushing DE/OLB with the 24th pick

atljbo

Link

The Falcons are hoping that one of the top edge rushers in the DE-OLB category falls their way in the draft’s first round, but if one does not, sources say Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff would feel very comfortable trading down from their current position with the 24th overall pick. Word is the Falcons are very high on Western Michigan S Louis Delmas, but they don’t believe he’s a first-round-caliber player. Trading down into the early part of the second round could allow them to nab Delmas and an OLB-DE hybrid with the second-rounder they already have, fulfilling two needs early in the draft

Sources say the Falcons are not planning on using a high draft choice on a cornerback to replace ex-starter Domonique Foxworth, who joined the Ravens in free agency. We hear there will be a competition to fill the void between Von Hutchins, who missed all of last season after suffering a preseason foot injury, and second-year player Chevis Jackson, a third-round pick in 2008. Brent Grimes also will get a shot to compete for the job, but he’s considered more of a long shot.

Link

Delmas Pro Football Weekly is reporting that in their Whispers section that the Falcons are high on Western Michigan safety Louis Delmas. It was reported this past week by Scout.com that Delmas is scheduled for a visit with the team on April 10.

Per PFW's report, the Falcons are hopeful that one of the top pass rushers in the draft fall to them with the No. 24 overall pick in the first round. And while they like Delmas as a prospect, they don't necessarily feel he merits a first round pick, making it possible they could trade down from their pick in order to take him.

Delmas is considered undersized by NFL safety standards at 5'11" 202 pounds, but is noted for his on-field intelligence and ballhawking abilities. He was a four-year starter at Western Michigan, culminating in a senior year where he led the team with 111 tackles and 4 interceptions, also adding 7 passes defended and 4 tackles for loss.

He is rated as the top safety in the draft by NFL.com's Mike Mayock and Draft Countdown's Scott Wright. ESPN's Mel Kiper rates him as the second best safety.

PFW also reports that the Falcons aren't expected to use a high pick on the cornerback position, due to confidence in Chevis Jackson and/or Von Hutchins to fill the void left by departing free agent cornerback Domonique Foxworth in the starting lineup. Brent Grimes, who started 6 games last year before Foxworth took over, will also be involved in the competition.

I heard that the Falcons asked for Michael Johnson to do LB drills at his proday and he looked impressive.... The Falcons will have a private workout Michael Johnson ..Teams feel like Michael Johnson can play DE/3-4 LB/SLB (aka a Terrell Suggs/Shawne Merriman type player)... I believe the guys we are aiming for is Clay Matthew, Brian Cushing and Michael Johnson.......I'm hearing that the Texans are in love with Clay Matthews, so duds not making it to us.

If Johnson, Matthews, and Cushing is gone, i can see us aimimg for Larry English or Lawrence Sidbury with the 55th pick.

I feel like this also proves that we will play some 3-4 also...... So the bringing Rey Maualuga make since.(just incase he slide and none of our guys is on the board).... The Signing of Mike Peterson make since also since he can play MLB with Curtis Lofton in a 3-4...... We will be a 4-3 team but i think Coach Smith will throw in some 3-4 since this Defense is becoming hhis D with His guys.

Guys like Asher Allen and Bradley Fletcher are 3rd and 4th round picks

trade down or not, just draft Louis Delmas!!!!

and Sidbury in the 2nd please B)

How do you feel now that the FO is supporting my argument that Delmas is not a 1st round caliber pick? Kind of proves my point, wouldn't you say?

How do you feel now that the FO is supporting my argument that Delmas is not a 1st round caliber pick? Kind of proves my point, wouldn't you say?

YOu got him back huh D^3 :ph34r: , i said the same thing, but i am not going to say anything. :P

You and Gdawg are hilarious :lol:

That sounds legit. Many here, myself included, and of course D^3 lol, feel that Delmas isn't worth a 1st and this kinda proves it. It doesn't sound far fetched and i really like the idea of implementing some 3-4 packages. The Lions are doing this as well and i think it will be successful.

That sounds legit. Many here, myself included, and of course D^3 lol, feel that Delmas isn't worth a 1st and this kinda proves it. It doesn't sound far fetched and i really like the idea of implementing some 3-4 packages. The Lions are doing this as well and i think it will be successful.

I would be thrilled if we can get English and Delmas by trading down and picking up an additional second, even if we trade down i still dont think that we will be able to get both of those players unless we can trade back up.

The rams might be a good trading partner for there 2nd if Hood is still on the board they may trade back to get him.

it does say they are VERY interested in Delmas, and would like to trade down to the EARLY 2nd to hopefully pick him up. Doesn't necessarily prove anything. If they are interested enough to get him in the early 2nd round, and they like him as the number 1 safety, it isn't far fetched to believe if the right trade didn't come around, they would still very much consider getting him in the first. Yeah that extra pick would be nice, and I'm sure the FO is exploring all possibilities.

Good try D3, but if this proves anything, it is Delmas is the highest rated safety on the Falcons' board, and that an edge rusher has higher priority over linebacker. I hope you get over your attachment to JL, because it aint happening...

it does say they are VERY interested in Delmas, and would like to trade down to the EARLY 2nd to hopefully pick him up. Doesn't necessarily prove anything. If they are interested enough to get him in the early 2nd round, and they like him as the number 1 safety, it isn't far fetched to believe if the right trade didn't come around, they would still very much consider getting him in the first. Yeah that extra pick would be nice, and I'm sure the FO is exploring all possibilities.

Good try D3, but if this proves anything, it is Delmas is the highest rated safety on the Falcons' board, and that an edge rusher has higher priority over linebacker. I hope you get over your attachment to JL, because it aint happening...

Denial isn't a river in Egypt.

Yall are a trip man, Funny though what you said about JL :lol:

Well they should not have a problem there. If there is anything that is a strength in this draft it is pass rushers. The key is to find a guy that can do that and provide help against the run. In the case of the LBs coverage ability will come into play also No more one trick ponys versatility is key.

Ok you have to be realistic for a moment if there is a pass rusher that also player the run decent he would be a 1st round pick. This draft is not deep with quality pass rusher. There are alot of developmental prospects but we have one in Beirmann we dont need another one. WE need a quality pass rusher that can step in and have a impact, the cream of the crop will be available through the 2nd round, unless Sidbury falls but i dont think he will fall to our 3rd pick. WE dont need a him to be a Run stopper his first year, we just need him to get after the QB.

You still my boy Polar Bear Jones :D

I'd love to trade back and snag an extra pick and Sidbury in the 2nd, but we can't forget there are still alot of people in the 1st who we have a good shot at getting. One person who i hope is there and if he is im sure we will get is Robert Ayers. He won't go in the top 10 and after that im not sure if he will or not. The only DE that will prob go in the 1st is Orakpo. Then there is Everette Brown and Aaron Maybin who will probably be picked before Ayers. I think we have a legitimate shot at getting him especially if there is a run on OT's. I'd be happy as $hiat if we got him.