Attempted to bridge network connections

I found instructions on how to do this on the internet, but after I did it, I could no longer get online. When trying to open my Firefox browser, it said that the website could not be found or something similar to that. After that, I thought maybe it was my firewall. I went into the exceptions and added everything, and it still would not work.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I had to run system restore to get back online.

what set up are you using?

I have a D-Link wireless router, with my laptop, PS3 and Wii all connected wireless...

They all work fine, but when I bridged my connection to use my laptops wireless card as an adapter for the 360, I couldn't get my web browser to work and connect to the internet. Under network connections, it said everything was connected, so I don't know???

I think it's unfortunate that I have to purchase a wireless adapter for the 360, when I didn't have to for the Wii or PS3. I've heard that they are about $100, but I'll buy one if I have to. I had just heard that there was a way around it...

let me make sure I understand what you are trying to do....

you have a DSL modem connected to a wireless router. your PC has a wireless card in it. you want to connect the 360 to the pc via an ethernet cable to get the 360 online... is that correct?

Yeah, I initially had to connect the 360 and PC with an Ethernet cable...

I think I may have found a way to fix the problem that I had.

Thanks for your help. I'll be back if I can't get it figured out :P

Yeah, I initially had to connect the 360 and PC with an Ethernet cable...

I think I may have found a way to fix the problem that I had.

Thanks for your help. I'll be back if I can't get it figured out :P

no prob, i think i found a good tutorial for you too, let me know if you need it.

but yea, there is no reason to buy the ms wireless adapter. even if you need one, there are cheaper brands.

no prob, i think i found a good tutorial for you too, let me know if you need it.

but yea, there is no reason to buy the ms wireless adapter. even if you need one, there are cheaper brands.

It appears that when I bridged all of my wireless connections, that it caused my internet connection via ethernet to stop working. I found something stating that I need to right click on my ethernet icon on my task bar and repair the connection. The problem is that I don't see anything about the ethernet on my taskbar? I don't see an icon under my control panel either?

Please post your tutorial, it may be better than what I have found so far

LOL This is why I studied law instead of computers etc... :P

This tutorial is from xbox support:

Xbox support site - Windows ICS Connection

read that page and figure out if it appropriate for what you are doing. figure out which scenario you have (1 or 2) and then select the appropriate scenario from the pull down box where it says "Pick a connection" underneath the Windows ICS Connection title. if you have any problems, post and i'll see if i can help further.

I know this works fine b/c i set my friends xbox up to do this and he has no problems connecting to live. Good luck and if you get on let me know what games you have and we'll have to play sometime.

so i am assuming then that your internet connection is working fine to your pc, right?

Yes, it is after I ran system restore. I keep my laptop connected to the internet via an ethernet cable , but it is also has a wireless connection at the same time. After I bridged the connections, the connection to the internet via ethernet quit working...

This tutorial is from xbox support:

Xbox support site - Windows ICS Connection

read that page and figure out if it appropriate for what you are doing. figure out which scenario you have (1 or 2) and then select the appropriate scenario from the pull down box where it says "Pick a connection" underneath the Windows ICS Connection title. if you have any problems, post and i'll see if i can help further.

I know this works fine b/c i set my friends xbox up to do this and he has no problems connecting to live. Good luck and if you get on let me know what games you have and we'll have to play sometime.

Thanks Joremari, I'll check it out

HnF

another thing is, i don't remember if the instructions mention this or not, your PC will have to be turned on anytime you want to use this type of connection. don't know if that will be an issue or not, but I thought i should mention it.

That makes sense.

I actually found a step by step video on Youtube, and everything seems to be working right now. For the first time ever, I am on XBox Live. It's downloading much needed updates, since it was purchased in September 2007 and has never been connected to the internet.

I appreciate all of your help Joremari. I hope that after all this time, I still have the 1 month free membership to XBox Live Gold.

and that is the main reason why no one needs to buy microsofts wireless adapter. i got one similar to that at wal mart for either 25 or 30 dollars. don't use it anymore, but when i did it worked perfectly.

I think that's what I am going to end up doing. I don't like having to plug the 360 into my laptop, to connect the 360 to the internet. Also, I think my wireless card is not working properly...

I think that's what I am going to end up doing. I don't like having to plug the 360 into my laptop, to connect the 360 to the internet. Also, I think my wireless card is not working properly...

yep, look around. you may want to check on google before you buy one to make sure it works, but you really don't need the 100 dollar one from ms.