I've been reading a lot...a WHOLE lot and I think I have come up with a pretty good scenario for our first 3 draft picks. I could always be wrong, so that's why this is a debate.

*** - My thought

A couple of key notes to make:

1.) We barely use the TE position, Mularkey is known for that, but we are clearly looking for a pass catching TE. ***If we're only looking for a pass-catching TE that we can possibly groom to block well, then why use a 1st round pick.***

2.) For the LB position, we know Lofton is our MLB. We have heard the coaches say many, many positive things about Nicholas and from a recent article he will be the WLB and we signed Peterson to a TWO year contract that has a pretty good amount of money attached to it. Peterson can play all 3 positions, so I'm pretty sure that our lb lineup will be Peterson as SLB, Lofton as our MLB, and Nicholas as our WLB or swap Peterson and Nicholas if the article was mistaken. I think we could pick up a WLB or SLB in the draft because both Peterson and Nicholas can interchange positions. ***Obviously we signed Peterson to be a stop gap while we groom our draft pick, so if the lb we pick in the draft is probably going to sit then do we really need to use a 1st round pick***

3.) The CB position is short. At first, I thought we were going to go with what we have, but lately we have been looking at potential prospects. ***I think this is just a smokescreen because how much younger can we get at the CB position.There's not really a need to get another young prospect unless we see something that's too good to pass up, which could very well be the case, but I just don't see it. Although Alphonso Smith really really peaks my interests.***

4.) The DT/DE subject is hard to make sense of. There are so many different scenarios that it is hard to make a choice. I do know we can go into this draft looking for a NT, DE, or UT if need be. We've heard talks of putting JA98 at UT. Just recently Trey Lewis said the coaches don't know if they wan him at UT or NT. If JA98 switches to UT, then Trey will probably stay at NT and we will draft at DE very early. If JA98 stays at DE and Trey goes to UT, then NT is a very early pick. If JA98 stays at DE and Trey stays at NT, then UT or NT becomes a pick but maybe not as early as we think. ***I am very comfortable with Trey given his rookie year and I'm not worried at all about the knee surgeries. I don't think he is injury prone either because this was his first time being hurt since high school, but his factor makes and the coaches idea of JA98's versatility makes this subject very hard to see how the resolution will come about.***

5.) The Safety position is a very tricky position. I really want to believe that Decoud is the answer, but the only people I have heard sing his praises are Coleman and fans. I've seen tape and I like him, but it really only matters if the coaches like him enough to start him. I keep hearing that Dimitroff picked him in the third for a reason, but although the draft last year was one of the best I have ever witnessed, TD could have missed on at least 1 :o or he could just need more years to get better. I'm not sold right now on the coaches liking Decoud. The coaches have stepped up and said something about Nicholas, Chevis, and Trey, but I don't recall anything being said about Decoud from them. ***I think this makes Safety a top priority in the draft. If anybody has any article or video where the coaches of singing Decoud's praises then please let me know. I remember one poster mad ea good point in thet we picked safety in the 3rd round last year, so safety will probably be a 1st or 2nd rounder UNLESS we pick SS***

Disclaimer: We know that we love versatility and that is making this draft much more comfortable for the FO..explained furthur down below. Also this is JMO, so I welcome disagreements, but would also like reasons other than "I want". As you can see I'm not picking specific players although I could name my favorites. Lastly, we will not fix every hole in this draft, some things will be left out to complete during FA or next year's draft.

In all, the positions we pick and where are going to be mainly based off of who is available, naturally, but as far as our draft board is concerned:

1.) FS/SS ***We can get either because Coleman can play both positions***

2.) NT/DE ***This could be #1 based on the scenarios stated above***

3.) TE ***I've heard TD mention Chase Coffman's name before (3rd round could be the time to get a TE)***

4.) SLB/WLB ***This is down on the list because I think we will be drafting one to groom and not to start based on what I said above***

5.) CB ***This could move way up our board based on the BPA option. Might be a player that we absolutely love and can't pass on***

6.) UT ***Based on the scenarios above I think this could happen, but it's very unlikely***

I'm sorry this is so long, but please let me know what you think. I've been reading everything and looking into the words said through interviews all through FA and even the collee and pro seasons. This is what I think is the best scenario for our team.

I've been reading a lot...a WHOLE lot and I think I have come up with a pretty good scenario for our first 3 draft picks. I could always be wrong, so that's why this is a debate.

*** - My thought

A couple of key notes to make:

1.) We barely use the TE position, Mularkey is known for that, but we are clearly looking for a pass catching TE. ***If we're only looking for a pass-catching TE that we can possibly groom to block well, then why use a 1st round pick.***

2.) For the LB position, we know Lofton is our MLB. We have heard the coaches say many, many positive things about Nicholas and from a recent article he will be the WLB and we signed Peterson to a TWO year contract that has a pretty good amount of money attached to it. Peterson can play all 3 positions, so I'm pretty sure that our lb lineup will be Peterson as SLB, Lofton as our MLB, and Nicholas as our WLB or swap Peterson and Nicholas if the article was mistaken. I think we could pick up a WLB or SLB in the draft because both Peterson and Nicholas can interchange positions. ***Obviously we signed Peterson to be a stop gap while we groom our draft pick, so if the lb we pick in the draft is probably going to sit then do we really need to use a 1st round pick***

3.) The CB position is short. At first, I thought we were going to go with what we have, but lately we have been looking at potential prospects. ***I think this is just a smokescreen because how much younger can we get at the CB position.There's not really a need to get another young prospect unless we see something that's too good to pass up, which could very well be the case, but I just don't see it. Although Alphonso Smith really really peaks my interests.***

4.) The DT/DE subject is hard to make sense of. There are so many different scenarios that it is hard to make a choice. I do know we can go into this draft looking for a NT, DE, or UT if need be. We've heard talks of putting JA98 at UT. Just recently Trey Lewis said the coaches don't know if they wan him at UT or NT. If JA98 switches to UT, then Trey will probably stay at NT and we will draft at DE very early. If JA98 stays at DE and Trey goes to UT, then NT is a very early pick. If JA98 stays at DE and Trey stays at NT, then UT or NT becomes a pick but maybe not as early as we think. ***I am very comfortable with Trey given his rookie year and I'm not worried at all about the knee surgeries. I don't think he is injury prone either because this was his first time being hurt since high school, but his factor makes and the coaches idea of JA98's versatility makes this subject very hard to see how the resolution will come about.***

5.) The Safety position is a very tricky position. I really want to believe that Decoud is the answer, but the only people I have heard sing his praises are Coleman and fans. I've seen tape and I like him, but it really only matters if the coaches like him enough to start him. I keep hearing that Dimitroff picked him in the third for a reason, but although the draft last year was one of the best I have ever witnessed, TD could have missed on at least 1 :o or he could just need more years to get better. I'm not sold right now on the coaches liking Decoud. The coaches have stepped up and said something about Nicholas, Chevis, and Trey, but I don't recall anything being said about Decoud from them. ***I think this makes Safety a top priority in the draft. If anybody has any article or video where the coaches of singing Decoud's praises then please let me know. I remember one poster mad ea good point in thet we picked safety in the 3rd round last year, so safety will probably be a 1st or 2nd rounder UNLESS we pick SS***

Disclaimer: We know that we love versatility and that is making this draft much more comfortable for the FO..explained furthur down below. Also this is JMO, so I welcome disagreements, but would also like reasons other than "I want". As you can see I'm not picking specific players although I could name my favorites. Lastly, we will not fix every hole in this draft, some things will be left out to complete during FA or next year's draft.

In all, the positions we pick and where are going to be mainly based off of who is available, naturally, but as far as our draft board is concerned:

1.) FS/SS ***We can get either because Coleman can play both positions***

2.) NT/DE ***This could be #1 based on the scenarios stated above***

3.) TE ***I've heard TD mention Chase Coffman's name before (3rd round could be the time to get a TE)***

4.) SLB/WLB ***This is down on the list because I think we will be drafting one to groom and not to start based on what I said above***

5.) CB ***This could move way up our board based on the BPA option. Might be a player that we absolutely love and can't pass on***

6.) UT ***Based on the scenarios above I think this could happen, but it's very unlikely***

I'm sorry this is so long, but please let me know what you think. I've been reading everything and looking into the words said through interviews all through FA and even the collee and pro seasons. This is what I think is the best scenario for our team.

Even though we didn't use a tight end much last year, It doesn't mean we won't This year. As good as Ryan was, he only had a limited amount of plays considering it was his first year. More plays will be added. After all we almost signed Smith, so there must be interest in a tight end. That being said, I doubt that we will draft one in the first round.

Your right about one thing, only Mike and company knows the actual progress of our players which makes it difficult to know exactly who we need.

Great Post Jay,

At Safety, I do not like the phrase on Coleman at either position.

My thinking is that we would do better with a player that will allow for Coleman to

be at his Best Position, and see if we can become more Mainstream.

I am not fond of developmental guys at any Linebacker position.

Any decent linebacker should be a Mauler from the get go. A Lofton if you will.

Did you see J Mikes Draft ver 4?

Gawd I hated it in a good way. It just made too much SENSE !

Cheers

1. We barely used the TE position because it was primarily manned by Justin Peele. TE is a position of strength and depth in the draft

2. The OLB group has talent and value where we are drafting at #24

3. With Hutchins replacing Foxworth on the roster, we have the same # of CB's as last season, just not quite as much talent. Not a priority, but CB is always a position that needs an influx of talent

4. We have spent picks and money at DE. Now lets optimize that value by getting some pass rush from the interior lineman and OLB spots

5. Even if Decoud can compete for a job, we still need more talent at FS/SS. Jamal Fudge won't cut it

1. We barely used the TE position because it was primarily manned by Justin Peele. TE is a position of strength and depth in the draft

2. The OLB group has talent and value where we are drafting at #24

3. With Hutchins replacing Foxworth on the roster, we have the same # of CB's as last season, just not quite as much talent. Not a priority, but CB is always a position that needs an influx of talent

4. We have spent picks and money at DE. Now lets optimize that value by getting some pass rush from the interior lineman and OLB spots

5. Even if Decoud can compete for a job, we still need more talent at FS/SS. Jamal Fudge won't cut it

The only problem with the money that was spent at DE was not a pick by our current FO, and DAvis was a must sign. JA98 is proving to be a run-stopping DE, that was drafted to rush the passer, so we spent the money but not getting the value. We need a pass rusher opposite of JA55 and to eventually replace JA55.

Looking at this draft, I see a couple of positions that have value in the 4th/5th/6th round areas. Those positions are DE & TE, to a lesser extent OLB. Those are 3 positions that should be on our upgrade list in the draft, but outside of OLB, the other two could definitely wait until the later time because of the depth already there. So I think we'll draft both a DE & TE, but I wouldn't expect one before round 4, unless someone we really like fell in round 3.

JMO on 2 guys you mentioned. Nicholas & DeCoud, I'm not looking back at the articles so I may get this wrong, but I think Coach Smith said that they would be given 1st shots at the starting spots. I don't think he said either would be our starter opening day. I think that leaves both positions open for TC battles. Like you, I'm not convinced with DeCoud, or Coleman @ SS for that matter. I think we're going to have to draft a safety early this year. I also think corner is a position in need of upgrade. There is talent there, but some of that talent just doesn't fit the scheme we run. Houston is very much a liability in zone coverage. Hutchins is a 3rd corner at best (same thing I said last year), so I think we're going to have a lot of troubles in our secondary this upcoming season.

Looking at this draft, I see a couple of positions that have value in the 4th/5th/6th round areas. Those positions are DE & TE, to a lesser extent OLB. Those are 3 positions that should be on our upgrade list in the draft, but outside of OLB, the other two could definitely wait until the later time because of the depth already there. So I think we'll draft both a DE & TE, but I wouldn't expect one before round 4, unless someone we really like fell in round 3.

JMO on 2 guys you mentioned. Nicholas & DeCoud, I'm not looking back at the articles so I may get this wrong, but I think Coach Smith said that they would be given 1st shots at the starting spots. I don't think he said either would be our starter opening day. I think that leaves both positions open for TC battles. Like you, I'm not convinced with DeCoud, or Coleman @ SS for that matter. I think we're going to have to draft a safety early this year. I also think corner is a position in need of upgrade. There is talent there, but some of that talent just doesn't fit the scheme we run. Houston is very much a liability in zone coverage. Hutchins is a 3rd corner at best (same thing I said last year), so I think we're going to have a lot of troubles in our secondary this upcoming season.

Well at least we agree that LB may not be taken until the later rounds.

The only problem with the money that was spent at DE was not a pick by our current FO, and DAvis was a must sign. JA98 is proving to be a run-stopping DE, that was drafted to rush the passer, so we spent the money but not getting the value. We need a pass rusher opposite of JA55 and to eventually replace JA55.

You're right, there is a need for a better pass rush, but with JA98 and JA55 as the 2 highest paid defensive players(is C Davis 3rd?) the money spent at that position is draining resources away from other spots. JA98 has potential and we seem to be committed to him for another year, so let's add a DT that can collapse the pocket and a OLB that can rush the passer and see what that does for our DE production

You're right, there is a need for a better pass rush, but with JA98 and JA55 as the 2 highest paid defensive players(is C Davis 3rd?) the money spent at that position is draining resources away from other spots. JA98 has potential and we seem to be committed to him for another year, so let's add a DT that can collapse the pocket and a OLB that can rush the passer and see what that does for our DE production

It is not like we are the Panthers struggling for cap space. We have the resources to spend on a DE, at least it will be good value if they can get 5-7 sack just coming in on pass situations. A LB may not start at 24, same thing goes for saftey, even OT, so where is the value they when it comes to spending money.

If this thread is about logic and who is most likely to be picked at #24, I would have to say outside linebacker. Unless a player unexpectedly falls to us (like Oher or one of the top CB's - Davis, Jenkins), it appears the best value will be OLB. Doesn't look like a nose tackle or safety worth the 1st rd. pick will be there. I elaborated on the DE position in another post (in terms of need), so I'm not going to discuss that here.

You can talk about Nicholas or Wire all you want, but we lost both OLB's and have a second year man in the middle, and to push all your chips in on these two guys is risky at best. I do like the signing of Peterson since he provides insurance behind Lofton and should contend for an outside spot.

If this thread is about logic and who is most likely to be picked at #24, I would have to say outside linebacker. Unless a player unexpectedly falls to us (like Oher or one of the top CB's - Davis, Jenkins), it appears the best value will be OLB. Doesn't look like a nose tackle or safety worth the 1st rd. pick will be there. I elaborated on the DE position in another post (in terms of need), so I'm not going to discuss that here.

You can talk about Nicholas or Wire all you want, but we lost both OLB's and have a second year man in the middle, and to push all your chips in on these two guys is risky at best. I do like the signing of Peterson since he provides insurance behind Lofton and should contend for an outside spot.

so if we signed Peterson then we are looking for a player to step into the other OLB spot, which i think that Nicholas can win. I really dont see the value at OLB especially if they have to sit, because Peterson, Lofton, Nicholas are starting. I really believe we will see our LB drafted later in the draft, especially since there is alot of talent at LB.

Sorry I disagree with the opinion about CB's. I feel like we're very thin there. May be even younger by going 1st with CB but if TD's man is there I think we will and should draft CB 1st.

we are not thin at CB we have 5 CB on the roster right now and they are all young developing talent why add more young developing talent. If anything i can see a vet being brought in to the mix, but i doubt that too. The only reason why i see us taking a CB high is if the FO feels like they can find a better fit than Houston in our scheme.

It is not like we are the Panthers struggling for cap space. We have the resources to spend on a DE, at least it will be good value if they can get 5-7 sack just coming in on pass situations. A LB may not start at 24, same thing goes for saftey, even OT, so where is the value they when it comes to spending money.

We have the cap space, but other needs as well. We are probably spending 15% of our salary cap at DE, which is an important position, but I can't see management pumping more into that spot.

We have the cap space, but other needs as well. We are probably spending 15% of our salary cap at DE, which is an important position, but I can't see management pumping more into that spot.

I hope they do, you said we like it is your money too :P :lol: . I understand and the reason the FO is having pump more money into the DE position is because JA98 is not going to be a pass rusher IMO, i think he will be a run-stopping DE/ UT.

So I'll do this following your formula.

#1: Louis Delmas or Pierra Jerry if its DT.

#2: Ron Brace or Patrick Chung (if he is there, if not, Rashad Johnson would be a good pick.)

#3: Chase Coffman or Asher Allen if the coaches really like him this weekend.

#4: Zack Follett or Dannell Ellerbe.

#5: Captain Munnerlyn if we don't go for Asher.

#6: Alex Boone or Andrew Gardner if Alex is gone.

Well, ya'll let me know what you think about this.

we are not thin at CB we have 5 CB on the roster right now and they are all young developing talent why add more young developing talent. If anything i can see a vet being brought in to the mix, but i doubt that too. The only reason why i see us taking a CB high is if the FO feels like they can find a better fit than Houston in our scheme.

And who was our other CB last year ( Foxworth gone ). Our coachs had not much confidence in these other CB's; that is my point we can't leave that wide open like it was with Grimes early last year.

And who was our other CB last year ( Foxworth gone ). Our coachs had not much confidence in these other CB's; that is my point we can't leave that wide open like it was with Grimes early last year.

Houston - Starter

Jackson - will be the other starter IMO

Hutchins - Compete with Grimes for Nickel/Dime

Grimes - competing for Nicke/Dime

David Irons - Competing for Dime

We signed a few small time FA this offseason but probably camp bodies, but you never know.

Houston - Starter

Jackson - will be the other starter IMO

Hutchins - Compete with Grimes for Nickel/Dime

Grimes - competing for Nicke/Dime

David Irons - Competing for Dime

We signed a few small time FA this offseason but probably camp bodies, but you never know.

Yeah I'm intrigued by Jackson Too but he has marginal speed for Cb position and even if he can start there it leaves us thin. We only go CB if one of the elite is still on the board but imo it is a need.

Yeah I'm intrigued by Jackson Too but he has marginal speed for Cb position and even if he can start there it leaves us thin. We only go CB if one of the elite is still on the board but imo it is a need.

How does it leave us thin if Jackson is the starter. Dont discount Grimes at the nickel back and TD signed Hutchins and he was having a good camp before he got injured, he was actually going to be the starter. Dont worry Jackson will be just fine, especially with the scheme we run.