Kiper braggin' on Matt Ryan over Jake Long....

g-dawg

I thought this was pretty cool......and Kiper is actually right about this one - and Stafford should be the pick...

Kiper: "You sign the guy you believe is the best player in this draft or fits a position of need as a quarterback... The quarterback reigns supreme, pal. That's who's gonna be hoisting that Super Bowl trophy, the big-time quarterback, not the offensive tackle. So, to me, hey, Matt Ryan was pretty good. Jake Long was pretty good. I'd rather have Matt Ryan. So, I'd rather take Matthew Stafford, develop him, coach him, which all those 20 assistants are paid to do, especially those quarterback coaches and coordinators and get the most out of him by Year 2.

Kiper crushing McShay on whether Stafford should be #1 overall to Detroit

I thought this was pretty cool......and Kiper is actually right about this one - and Stafford should be the pick...

Kiper: "You sign the guy you believe is the best player in this draft or fits a position of need as a quarterback... The quarterback reigns supreme, pal. That's who's gonna be hoisting that Super Bowl trophy, the big-time quarterback, not the offensive tackle. So, to me, hey, Matt Ryan was pretty good. Jake Long was pretty good. I'd rather have Matt Ryan. So, I'd rather take Matthew Stafford, develop him, coach him, which all those 20 assistants are paid to do, especially those quarterback coaches and coordinators and get the most out of him by Year 2.

Stafford #1 to Detroit? Should he be the pick?

Agreed unless you knowa better qb will be out next year and want to wait.  Course that means suck this year to be up in the draft high enough to get the pick then.

it took Drew Brees a few years to develop - I remember after two years the Chargers thought Brees was a bust and then he just exploded......it took Jay Cutler a few years to develop - Carson Palmer sat a year.......

Like Kiper says in the video - QBs are not "finished products" coming out of college - they have to learn and develop - that is why you pay the QB coach and offensive coordinator and the 20 other assistant coaches.

What Matt Ryan accomplished in his rookie season was unheard of.

agreed.......what Matty Ice did his rookie year was impressive and I do not expect too many other rookie QBs to be able to duplicate. Arguably, Ryan has had the best rookie season in the NFL - only one that compares is Marino's.

However, the challenge for Matt Ryan now is to be more of an absolute weapon. 16 TDs and 11 picks is great for a rookie. However, next year 16/11 is not gonna get it. I expect Matt Ryan to be closer to 25TDs / 12 INTs and 4,000 yards.......very do-able. We cannot expect Michael Turner to run for 1,700 yards every year....

I've been on Kiper's side in this one since it poped up a few weeks ago. But in this segment , Kiper was right but I didn't like how he wouldn't even let McShay talk , I'd say he will get some flack from his boss on that one, but the bottom line is If Detroit has been put in a position that they have to take Stafford , the fans should be very thankful , because Detroit should not ever consider drafting anyone else , MS will be a great QB , and they can get 2 starting OT with the 20th and the 33rd picks.

This is a case where Kiper is right but he handled it wrong in completely taking over the whole discussion and butting in on McShay and wouldn't even let him finish. I didn't care for that at all , I like how McShay handles himself when debating much more than Kiper .

I've been on Kiper's side in this one since it poped up a few weeks ago. But in this segment , Kiper was right but I didn't like how he wouldn't even let McShay talk , I'd say he will get some flack from his boss on that one, but the bottom line is If Detroit has been put in a position that they have to take Stafford , the fans should be very thankful , because Detroit should not ever consider drafting anyone else , MS will be a great QB , and they can get 2 starting OT with the 20th and the 33rd picks.

This is a case where Kiper is right but he handled it wrong in completely taking over the whole discussion and butting in on McShay and wouldn't even let him finish. I didn't care for that at all , I like how McShay handles himself when debating much more than Kiper .

agreed.........Kiper was correct in his analysis but I think he had too many cups of coffee that morning. He acted like an arsshole. I think Kiper probably resents having to share the spotlight with Todd McShay right now. In fairness to Kiper, he is a large reason that the NFL Draft has turned into a major event - regardless of what you think of Kiper (and I probably disagree with him more than I agree) - Mel Kiper deserves a lot of credit for his hyping the draft into a major event.

agreed.........Kiper was correct in his analysis but I think he had too many cups of coffee that morning. He acted like an arsshole. I think Kiper probably resents having to share the spotlight with Todd McShay right now. In fairness to Kiper, he is a large reason that the NFL Draft has turned into a major event - regardless of what you think of Kiper (and I probably disagree with him more than I agree) - Mel Kiper deserves a lot of credit for his hyping the draft into a major event.

Ahhhh!! I think you may be on to something , I've noticed that in the last few years, with Mayock taking lead position and so many sites on the draft , I'm sure that has gotten into his pocket book. B)