Expert Safety Will Spend Time with Falcons

atljbo

Link

Expert Safety Will Spend Time with Falcons Premium Story

(Ric Francis/AP)

By Doug Farrar

FalconInsider.com

Date: Mar 27, 2009

With the draft just one month away, the Falcons are like every other NFL team -- lining up visits and workouts for college players. We've been reporting most of these names, and we have another one -- perhaps the best draft-eligible strong safety on the list.

340x.jpg

It shows a picture of 6'1 220lbs SS Chip Vaughn..... The Falcons showed interest in Chip Vaughn during the senior bowl (interviewed him)....... What impress me about Chip Vaughn is that he had 22 pass deflections in college.

Projection: 3rd round pick

Chip Vaughn combine numbers

Height: 6013

Weight: 221

40 Yrd Dash: 4.42

20 Yrd Dash: 2.56

10 Yrd Dash: 1.48

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 21

Vertical Jump: 37

Broad Jump: 10'05"

20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.12

3-Cone Drill: 7.03

Chip Vaughn NFL Draft Interview

DraftSeason: What is your current height, weight and 40 time?

Chip: 6'2, 220, TBA...

DraftSeason: How do you feel you rank amongst the other top safeties in the nation like the Tayors Mays, William Moore, what do you have that they don't?

Chip: I feel that I am one of the top DB's. I feel that my strongest attribute is that I am a corner that can play safety. All of those guys are great in what they do. It is a very strong DB class from top to bottom this year.

DraftSeason: Who has been the best wide receiver you have had a chance to play against?

Chip: Calvin Johnson

DraftSeason: What is your number 1 goal when it comes to this years 2009 NFL Draft?

Chip: My goal is to show all 32 teams that I am a well rounded player and that should get me drafted as high as I possibly can.

DraftSeason: What do you feel is your most underrated skill at the safety position?

Chip: That I am a true student of the game.

DraftSeason: Let me pick your brain quick, is fellow teammate Aaron Curry the real deal? Do you think he is worthy of a top 5 pick in the upcoming NFL Draft?

Chip: Aaron Curry is a beast! He is the best linebacker in the country and definitely worthy of a Top 5 selection.

DraftSeason: What has been the greatest moment of your college career?

Chip: Graduating from Wake Forest with 2 Bachelor degrees and winning the 2006 ACC Championship.

DraftSeason: Finally, which current NFL quarterback are you chomping at the bit to have the chance to pick off?

Chip: I think it is the other way around. Veteran quarterbacks are chomping at the bit to pick apart a rookie corner.

Seems like a pretty solid pick...and he ran a 4.4? :blink: That clip does no justice to his speed ability...

If he's still around the 2nd or 3rd round, we should definately get him...that will give us an opportunity to grab a stud DT and LB first.

Yeah..... he didn't get any hype with Aaron Curry and Alphonso taking it up!

Haven't looked at him alot, but I'm kinda liking what I see so far.

I love CB's who are 6 ft. and up, so I would deff like to give him a look that way.

And TD's mantra on defense seem's to be versatility, so a safety/CB hybrid is right up our alley.

I've been keeping my eye on Decoud, and like him so far, so I don't think we need to draft a safety as much as other people do, but if we could get this guy to drop down a few pounds, and get EVEN FASTER, he might be a steal for us as a CB.

And for those who say we don't need fast CB's since we run a Cover 2, I say, you can't play zone every play, especially when your pass rush is one person, because you will be eaten alive.

Man that golden number 9 jersey reminds me of Delmas. But chip Vaughn is pretty good. He would be a pretty good pick up in the 3rd. He would actually be a great fit for us because he actually plays the SS position.

He will be average at best in coverage, and probably more of a liability.

And thats fine....few safeties in the NFL are actually worth a **** in coverage anyways.

Safeties are generally expected to play in coverage, and be able to assist in run support. Generally, a safety is good in coverage.