Good read on Stephen Nicholas -- suited for WLB

gazoo

Linebacker Stephen Nicholas' day-by-day approach is contagious.

Talk to him for just a few minutes about his career and you walk away getting a lasting taste of his humility and focus.

Even in times of great opportunity he keeps eyes focused on his next task. In this case, it's heading to the weight room for another offseason workout.

The opportunity on the table is a chance to compete for a starting job on the Falcons defense.

Michael Boley and Keith Brooking departed via free agency, leaving the team in need of two outside linebackers.

Coaches have spent two years tinkering with ways to get Nicholas on the field.

Is this the chance?

Atlanta signed veteran linebacker Mike Peterson and re-signed Coy Wire at the start of free agency so there are options. But, entering his third year, Nicholas may be the best fit for the weak side post vacated by Brooking.

But you wouldn't know that from talking to him.

"What's next for me? The only thing I can control is right now," Nicholas said when asked about the chance to compete for a starting spot. "It's kind of hard to talk about what's next. You've got a lot of stuff in front of you. I guess I'll be ready to answer that next year but, at this point, I need to focus on the upcoming season and try to be better than I was last year."

The South Florida product took on a starting post in his rookie training camp as weak side linebacker as Demorrio Williams recovered for an injury. He faced the learning curve head on, understanding his college numbers (326 tackles, two interceptions and 20 sacks) wouldn't hold up in the NFL game. The linebacker took on a reserve role in the regular season, playing in 13 games and registering 37 tackles.

In 2008, Nicholas was a special teams standout. He finished third on the team with 12 special-teams stops. He got on the field mostly in passing situations and got his first career sack in Week 17 against the Rams.

Will Nicholas get looks as a starter like he did in 2007? Too early to tell if history will repeat itself but he's certainly thankful for his opportunities and doing whatever it takes to secure a meaningful job with his team.

"My goal is to go out and help the team the best I can," he said. "That's always been my goal and I'll stick to that. The best way I can help this team and compete is what I try to do."

(from jmikes log)

wire is servicable, and for some reason was the coaches choice over nicholas last year. i like nicholas on ST's. i wonder what is keeping him from starting?

well the original post is talking about nicholas playing wlb and boley played slb last year, so I'm thinking that's why Wire replaced Boley instead of Nicholas.

It's the same thing with Milloy being out against the Rams last year and Fudge coming in instead of Decoud. That's because Decoud is a FS. They both would have been out of position. JMO.

I'm pretty sure they want the lb corps to be slb - Peterson...mlb - Lofton...wlb - Nicholas, but I could be wrong.

I think Wire brings more emotional intensity to the LB core than anyone else we have. Yes at 218 he is a little undersized, but not for WLB; conversely, Nicholas seems a little big for WLB at 238, but I'm sure that Sam or Mike weight will not hinder him in coverage. South Florida has def. been sending good NFL talent for a few years, and given 3 years to lift, study, and learn, this just may be Nicholas' break out year.

Given that Nicholas seems like at lock at WLB and Peterson likewise with SLM, if we get a LB in the draft (even 1st round), do we let them sit this year?

And Lofton will not move from our MLB spot. MLB is the QB of the D and IMO that should not be tampered with. Peterson was good at MLB in Jacksonville, but I think he'll lean on his skill set that he brought with him to Jax from the Colts, which is playing SLB. And I can't see a reason why they wouldn't let Lofton have the headset (green dot) next year.

And Lofton will not move from our MLB spot. MLB is the QB of the D and IMO that should not be tampered with. Peterson was good at MLB in Jacksonville, but I think he'll lean on his skill set that he brought with him to Jax from the Colts, which is playing SLB. And I can't see a reason why they wouldn't let Lofton have the headset (green dot) next year.

Did anybody say we should move Lofton or were you just making a statement? Because I agree Lofton shouldn't move. Also Peterson played WLB with the Colts, but I think he could play all 3 positions. When he first came I thought Peterson would play WLB and Nicholas would play SLB, but it seems like the FO is tired of being old at WLB so they switched their positions...lol! (according the original post). At this point Nicholas might be faster than Peterson, so that may be why they are making the switch. IDK. We have always wanted interchangeable LB to give us more freedom in the draft and FA and it's working out so far. Think about it

We could get a SLB or WLB in the draft, because the guys we have can switch it up, even Lofton could play SLB if we needed him to

We could draft SS or FS because Coleman has played both positions before and pretty good as well

We could even draft a UT or a NT this year as well, beacuse Trey Lewis could play both positions (there was an article about this). Although I much rather draft NT.

I think we're going into this draft really comfortable and more comfortable then some of us might think.

Given that Nicholas seems like at lock at WLB and Peterson likewise with SLM, if we get a LB in the draft (even 1st round), do we let them sit this year?

I would let the boys compete and may the best man win. Competition is a good thing.

Good f***ing grief people! Are you kidding me? We go from "Nicholas will have a chance to compete for the starters job," to "Nicholas will probably start," to now "Nicholas seems like a LOCK at WLB?"

Are you people that stupid? Coach Smith says Nicholas will "have a chance to compete for the starters job," and now without saying anything or seeing anything on the field, practice or ANYTHING, you've gone to saying he "seems like a lock."

This whole place has gone mad.

Good f***ing grief people! Are you kidding me? We go from "Nicholas will have a chance to compete for the starters job," to "Nicholas will probably start," to now "Nicholas seems like a LOCK at WLB?"

Are you people that stupid? Coach Smith says Nicholas will "have a chance to compete for the starters job," and now without saying anything or seeing anything on the field, practice or ANYTHING, you've gone to saying he "seems like a lock."

here you go my friend, this may help you out

chill_pill.jpg

You are so misguided. He seems like a lock at WLB right now because, given what we currently have, he is the best fit at that spot for now. And without saying anything or seeing it on the field, practice or ANYTHING, it is the most logical line-up for starters without any additions from the draft.

Good f**ing grief dude!