First 360 Motion Controller Unveiled

IMG_0878780_screen.jpg

Motion-based control is coming to the Xbox 360. We initially thought Microsoft would be the first to the table but PDP beat them to the punch. The Gametrak Freedom from PDP will offer wireless motion-based controls using Microsoft's proprietary wireless protocol. The Gametrak uses a 3D ultrasonic transducer and a three axis accelerometer to detect motion. You'll also find a trigger on the under side, as well as the 360's familiar four button configuration and a D-pad.

Unlike Nintendo's solution, which uses one point of detection, the Gametrak uses two sensor bars that sit on opposite sides of the TV. Up to four wireless Gametrak's will work with the sensors. PDP claims that the added sensor in conjunction with the Gametrak's motion sensing technologies give the Gametrak accuracy to within 2mm of movement. Additionally the company states that Because the Gametrak detects motion in the x, y, and z planes it's capable of considerably more than the Wii Remote or the PS3's Sixaxis.

We got to briefly try out the Gametrak Freedom with Squeeballs, a game that PDP will bundle with the controller. Squeeballs is basically a variety/party game like Warioware, with elements of Cooking Mama thrown in for good measure. The controller certainly felt accurate, and we didn't find it overly sensitive. Moving laterally while rotating the controller to twist onscreen objects actually worked without a super jittery feel. PDP says we should expect the controller out in the fall bundled with Squeeballs for about $70 to $75.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't see Microsoft ripping off the ps3 controller now do you?

I'm talking in the sense of new ideas. When one company adds a new feature, the other company will run with it as well. Online gaming is a good example. Also Apple had the IPOD and then Microsoft came out with the ZUNE. Like I said It's nothing new to rip off other peoples ideas.

I'm talking in the sense of new ideas. When one company adds a new feature, the other company will run with it as well. Online gaming is a good example. Also Apple had the IPOD and then Microsoft came out with the ZUNE. Like I said It's nothing new to rip off other peoples ideas.

and apple bit off of creative zen so whatever..... B)

Hah PS controllers = simple, exactly what it needs to be.

so PS controllers >>>>> rest

360 controller has the exact same buttons only in better positions. The two triggers >>>>>>>>>>>>> L2 and R2 and the offset sticks with more distance between them >>>>>>>>>>>>>> the parallel sticks close together. Unless you have baby hands.

retarted

Irony for the win. :lol:

PS3 controller and the Xbox 360 controller has the exact same lay-out. The Xbox 360 controller simply conforms to your hand more so all the buttons/analog sticks are more easily used. The Xbox 360 madcatz design was voted the best controller for gaming a while back, I will find a link l8r.

You don't see Microsoft ripping off the ps3 controller now do you?

Why in God's name would they want to do such a thing. The idea is to improve, not get worse... Speaking of ripping off, how is that whole Playstation Li... I mean Network going...

Hah PS controllers = simple, exactly what it needs to be.

so PS controllers >>>>> rest

I like the PlayStation controller better. I like the fact that it is rechargeable, without having battery packs. It's just my own personal preference, because I am more used to it...

I don't think that one is legitimately better than the other though. The layout of buttons and shape is essentially the same, and the 360 controller is just bigger and heavier...