What's Wrong With This Picture?

Mrs._Obama-1.jpg

First Lady Michelle Obama showed up Thursday as a surprise and welcome volunteer at Miriam's Kitchen, a soup kitchen for homeless poor people not far from the White House.

She brought with her some food donated by White House staff. The first lady served up mushroom risotto and broccoli to a long line of homeless men and women during part of her lunch hour and in these photos poses for a picture by one homeless diner obviously excited to be in the first lady's presence.

It doesn't detract from the first lady's generous gesture or the real needs she seeks to highlight to ask two bothersome journalistic questions about these news photos:

1) If this unidentified meal recipient is too poor to buy his own food, how does he afford a cell phone?

2) And if he is homeless, where do they send the cell phone bills?

Mrs._Obama-1.jpg

First Lady Michelle Obama showed up Thursday as a surprise and welcome volunteer at Miriam's Kitchen, a soup kitchen for homeless poor people not far from the White House.

She brought with her some food donated by White House staff. The first lady served up mushroom risotto and broccoli to a long line of homeless men and women during part of her lunch hour and in these photos poses for a picture by one homeless diner obviously excited to be in the first lady's presence.

It doesn't detract from the first lady's generous gesture or the real needs she seeks to highlight to ask two bothersome journalistic questions about these news photos:

1) If this unidentified meal recipient is too poor to buy his own food, how does he afford a cell phone?

It could be a pay as you go "tracfone"

Are you republicans that out of touch with people? :huh:

Just because that guy's poor doesn't mean he's homeless, and even if he's homeless, that doesn't mean he has no job.

Let's at least TRY not to always assume everything is so black-and-white.

Yeah, I guess you're right. Homeless people need camera tracfones so they can email pictures to their homeless friends. And you're telling me Repubs are out of touch with reality! :lol:

I bet anybody would have took a picture of the first lady right in front of them...and im sure all his friends are not homeless

I understand that it's a shelter for poor and homeless people.

Cell phones are a dime a dozen though. If the guy were wearing a Rolex and taking her photo with a $30,000 Hasselblad camera, you might be onto something.

But even so....what difference does it make if the guy has no home or money but owns a cell phone? I don't get the outrage.

I understand that it's a shelter for poor and homeless people.

Cell phones are a dime a dozen though. If the guy were wearing a Rolex and taking her photo with a $30,000 Hasselblad camera, you might be onto something.

But even so....what difference does it make if the guy has no home or money but owns a cell phone? I don't get the outrage.

I didn't think it was presented in an outrageous manner.

Mrs._Obama-1.jpg

Is it just me or does she look like the grinch in this photo? grinch.jpg

Yeah, I guess you're right. Homeless people need camera tracfones so they can email pictures to their homeless friends. And you're telling me Repubs are out of touch with reality! :lol:

So being "homeless" means they shouldn't have or can't afford any other worldy possessions? After all, according to George Carlin, you need a place to put all of you stuff, right?

(we've got some geniuses on this board... :rolleyes:)

So being "homeless" means they shouldn't have or can't afford any other worldy possessions? After all, according to George Carlin, you need a place to put all of you stuff, right?

(we've got some geniuses on this board... :rolleyes:)

I've never been homeless but I would think being homeless is about choices and priorities. Do I wan't to eat or do I want to talk on the phone? Real homeless people have very few possessions.

I've never been homeless but I would think being homeless is about choices and priorities. Do I wan't to eat or do I want to talk on the phone? Real homeless people have very few possessions.

I've seen some real homeless people dragging around 2 buggies overflowing with possessions. That's more possessions than a very few.

I've seen some real homeless people dragging around 2 buggies overflowing with possessions. That's more possessions than a very few.

I've done my fair share of volunteer work at homeless shelters. What you've described is not the norm. Life on the streets for homeless is about stealing and being stolen from. .. and of course panhandling

But they do have possessions nevertheless. Believe it or not, there are varying stages of homelessness. Just because they don't fall under what your interpretation of being homeless is. They still have enough money to buy food and clothing, just not enough to buy a house. You're sounding as if all cellphones are subject to being expensive with expensive contracts. They're easy to obtain and come in handy if that person needs a phone (for job callbacks) you know, since they don't have a permanent address.

But they do have possessions nevertheless. Believe it or not, there are varying stages of homelessness. Just because they don't fall under what your interpretation of being homeless is. They still have enough money to buy food and clothing, just not enough to buy a house. You're sounding as if all cellphones are subject to being expensive with expensive contracts. They're easy to obtain and come in handy if that person needs a phone (for job callbacks) you know, since they don't have a permanent address.

Good points, Static.

But let me add ... some people are homeless because they want to be. They don't want jobs. Others are homeless due to bad circumstances and they are trying to better themselves. Most of my volunteer work has been with those who want to be homeless and could care less.