House G.O.P. Members Present New Republican Budget Plan

logic

Originally Posted by Politico

House Minority Whip Eric Cantor (R-Va.) and Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wisc.) objected to an abbreviated alternative budget "blueprint" released today -- but were told by House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) they needed to back the plan, according to several Republican sources.

The argument, which reflects a growing rift in GOP leadership, underscores the trouble the minority party has in mounting unified opposition to President Obama's $3.7 trillion FY2010 budget proposal.

Ryan, ranking Republican on the budget committee, planned to introduce a detailed substitute amendment for the Democrats' spending plan next Tuesday or Wednesday -- and still intends to do so.

But he and Cantor were reportedly told by Boehner and Republican Conference Chairman Mike Pence (R-Ind.) they needed to move more quickly to counter Democrats' charge they were becoming the "Party of No," according to House GOP staffers.

The 19-page document, prepared by Pence's office, was distributed two days after President Obama criticized Republicans for trashing his detail-crammed 142-page budget outline without producing a credible alternative.

“In his egocentric rush to get on camera, Mike Pence threw the rest of the Conference under the bus, specifically Paul Ryan, whose staff has been working night and day for weeks to develop a substantive budget plan," said a GOP aide heavily involved in budget strategy.

"I hope his camera time was gratifying enough to justify erasing the weeks of hard work by dozens of Republicans to put forth serious ideas," the person added.

Democrats have been blasting away at the plan all day, gleefully pointing its lack of specific numbers -- except for a proposal to cut the tax rate on people earning $100,000 from over 20 percent to 10 percent.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennt....html#comments

I mean seriously? smh

It is becoming more and more clear every week that I will not voting for a single incumbent for the next few elections. Congress as a whole needs to be wiped clean.

I agree with a lot of those seats on the Dem side also. Maxine Waters, Barney Frank it's been real but please move on and lets get some new blood in there...

I don't know what was more hilarious:

McCain speaking at the biker rally

McCain speaking in front of the ugly green background to a room of people

McCain suspending his campaign

McCain wandering around the stage at the last debate

Palin's interview with Katie Couric

Palin's interview with Charlie Gipson

Palin interviewing in front of Mel the Turkey Merker

or this rolling out of the GOP budget alternative

Are the Farrelly brothers running the GOP??

Just another example as to why the GOP sustained massive losses in 2006 and 2008. If they don't get their sh%t together, 2010 is going to be another *** whipping.

not so fast there. if the economy hasn't fully recovered by may 2010 then republicans will win large number of house seats & probably a small number of senate seats. they don't need a policy agenda & the whole "party of no" label won't mean a thing if democrats in charge don't show economic gains.

i remember this same claim being made against democrats in 2006 when republicans were saying "where's their plan for iraq? they don't have one & they can't win w/o a policy agenda". they campaigned as "not bush" & that was enough. republicans will do the same if the economy hasn't shown progress.

not so fast there. if the economy hasn't fully recovered by may 2010 then republicans will win large number of house seats & probably a small number of senate seats. they don't need a policy agenda & the whole "party of no" label won't mean a thing if democrats in charge don't show economic gains.

i remember this same claim being made against democrats in 2006 when republicans were saying "where's their plan for iraq? they don't have one & they can't win w/o a policy agenda". they campaigned as "not bush" & that was enough. republicans will do the same if the economy hasn't shown progress.

You are correct in that the economy will drive the 2010 elections (specifically in the House). The Senate, however is a different story. Most political pundits have the following Senate races as tossups:

Colorado

Florida

Kentucky

Louisiana

Missouri

New Hampshire

Ohio

Of those listed above, only one (Colorado) is currently in Democratic hands.

You are correct in that the economy will drive the 2010 elections (specifically in the House). The Senate, however is a different story. Most political pundits have the following Senate races as tossups:

Colorado

Florida

Kentucky

Louisiana

Missouri

New Hampshire

Ohio

Of those listed above, only one (Colorado) is currently in Democratic hands.

one thing that 2006 & 2008 taught us is that tossups today become close elections tomorrow. the types of elections that tighten up during the final months aren't random, either. they favor the out party when the in-party isn't popular. safe republican seats became close elections the last two cycles. if the economy doesn't get better then democrats' approvals start plummeting, which makes many of their "safe" seats competitive.

remember that republicans lost 40% of their senate incumbents in 2006 & about the same in 2008. open seats favor democrats right now, which will reduce number of seats reps can pick up. but it doesn't mean reps can't pick up a few seats if the political winds turn their way.

I totally agree with Mizzu on this one. The Republicans look dead right now, but so did the Democrats about 6 years ago. If this economy doesn't recover, there will be movement back toward the republicans, even without a unified message. They will campaign on the idea that we're not Obama and we're not the democratic congress that hasn't been able to pull you out this mess. And it will work.

I totally agree with Mizzu on this one. The Republicans look dead right now, but so did the Democrats about 6 years ago. If this economy doesn't recover, there will be movement back toward the republicans, even without a unified message. They will campaign on the idea that we're not Obama and we're not the democratic congress that hasn't been able to pull you out this mess. And it will work.

Pretty much. Politics has become less about what you have done and more about what you didn't do. The only thing that will hurt the G.O.P. in the future is if the minority groups in this country grow at a faster rate and if the youth vote continues to grow.