Tommy Hanson sent to AAA

young mr. grace

Braves sending Hanson to minors

Top pitching prospect wil start year in AAA Gwinnett; Reyes too

By DAVID O'BRIEN

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Lake Buena Vista, Fla. — Top pitching prospect Tommy Hanson and left-hander Jo-Jo Reyes will be optioned to Class AAA Gwinnett in the latest round of Braves roster cuts, which also includes 19-year-old hitting prospects Jason Heyward and Freddie Freeman.

Catcher Clint Sammons was another among the eight told Thursday that they were being sent to the minors, along with three others that weren’t known yet. The moves weren’t expected to be announced until later Thursday.

“Both Jo-Jo and Tommy Hanson have had tremendous springs,” said manager Bobby Cox, adding that the moves were made because the Braves are “running out of innings” in big-league camp, and Reyes and Hanson need regular work in minor league spring games to prepare for the season.

Cox said either pitcher could be recalled immediately if anything happened to one of the pitchers projected to make the Braves’ roster, including starters Derek Lowe, Javier Vazquez, Jair Jurrjens, Kenshin Kawakami and Tom Glavine, who is returning from shoulder and elbow surgeries.

Hanson, 22, was 1-0 with a 2.45 ERA in four Grapefruit League games, allowing 14 hits and six walks with 14 strikeouts in 14 2/3 innings. Reyes was 2-0 with a 2.08 ERA in four games, with nine hits and three walks allowed in 13 innings.

Heyward, an outfielder from Henry County High School, and Freeman, a first baseman, are both expected to start the season at high-Class A Myrtle Beach after starring at Class A Rome in 2008. Both have been impressive all spring, ranking among the Braves’ leading hitters in Grapefruit games.

Heyward hit .308 (12-for-39) with two home runs, three RBIs and 10 strikeouts in a team-high 23 games before Thursday, and Freeman hit .237 (9-for-38) with a homer and eight RBIs in 19 games.

Both players were kept in camp to play in Thursday’s game against the Blue Jays.

After getting burned in the Smoltz and Jurrjens trades you would think Detroit would have nothing to do with the Braves. Opps, I forgot we gave up Zach Minor for 2 months worth of Kyle Farnsworth. I guess were even then.

Even? Miner for 2 months of Farnsworth isnt a bad deal, Miner is a borderline Major Leaguer.

If you guys take Willis off our hands I'll call it even though, you don't even have to give anything back. :D

Even? Miner for 2 months of Farnsworth isnt a bad deal, Miner is a borderline Major Leaguer.

If you guys take Willis off our hands I'll call it even though, you don't even have to give anything back. :D

Willis was a decent hitter with the Marlins. Maybe he can pull a Rick Ankiel and switch to another position. Or just use him as a DH.

How is Mike Hessman doing? I hated to see the Braves give up on him because he's so big and strong. I guess he still hasn't learned to hit the curve ball.

Willis was a decent hitter with the Marlins. Maybe he can pull a Rick Ankiel and switch to another position. Or just use him as a DH.

How is Mike Hessman doing? I hated to see the Braves give up on him because he's so big and strong. I guess he still hasn't learned to hit the curve ball.

Hessman had a rough spring. He hit .214. Jeff Larish will be in the bigs long before Hessman makes it.