American Idol: The Top 10

Ton80Kid

Did anyone catch the Tonight Show earlier this week? Monday night, I believe it was...Simon, Randy, and Ryan from the Idol were there...and Simon dropped his bold prediction that the finale this season would come down to Adam vs Danny. He also stated that Lil would round out the top 3. So...let's just say that I wasn't "stoked" heading into last night's performances...especially when I remembered just how mediocre they had been the week before. Happily though, after a "positive" mentoring session with Smokey Robinson (I swear, he's incapable of saying a bad thing about anyone...he's like Paula...only with actual talent), and a quick tour through history of the original Motown recording studios in Detroit, I began looking forward to performances last night...and, as far as the performances went, I was in for a shock or two as the night progressed. Some were quite pleasent surprises...others, not so much...but off we go.

Not sure I can say any of these 5 had the BEST performance of the night, because IMO, all 5 of them were simply outstaanding...Adam, Matt, Allison, Kris, and Anoop. You could break 'em down and re-arrange them any way that you want to, from 1-5, and it wouldn't matter. Adam probably slides into the top spot simply because of his 180degree turnaround from last week...he went from garbage to great. His conservative approach, appearence wise, combined with his toned down vocal performance of "Tracks of My Tears" by the Miracles, was truly moment worthy. Matt Giraud opened the show with an unbelievable rendition of Marvin Gaye's, "Let's Get It On"...and I believe he proved once again, that this is not a 3 horse race to the finish line, but instead, is a very wide open competition. Anoop's straight ahead interpretation of Smokey's "Ooo Baby Baby" was a nice continuation on the momentum he began building back up, last week, with "Always on My Mind", and he delivered a very good vocal performance. Kris brought his guitar back out, and performed "How Sweet it is" (which has been performed several noteworthy singers including Marvin Gaye and James Stewart), and his Dave Matthews type stylings put a very unique spin on this classic. Allison closed out the show with an amazing version of the Temptations', "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone" that absolutely proved emphatically that she is hands down, the best female contestant left in this competition.

In between these great performances, we had 2 of Simon's preordained front-runners deliver rather weak, mediocre at best performances...Danny and Lil. Danny Gokey's performance of "Get Ready" while crowd pleasing and reminiscent of Taylor Hick's run a few years ago, wasn't very inspired or unique. In fact, it wasn't very good... I found it funny that he completely ignored Smokey's advice, even though he was nodding and praising it during the video package of the mentoring session. Lil Rounds, after a mediocre week during their country show, should've come out this week and absolutely stepped on the gas for Motown. She's an R&B diva in the making, and this really should've been her week to come out and shine...unfortunately, her rendition of "Heatwave" by Martha and the Vandellas, was far from scorching. It wasn't as bad as past Idol performers have dudded with that particular song, Kimberly Locke or Jennifer Hudson, but it wasn't very good either. I doubt she'll be in the bottom 3, but it wouldn't surprise if she somehow found herself there after 2 back to back weeks of non-spectacular performances...especially considering she's a lock to make the final 3...according to Simon. :P

That just leaves us with the 3 worst performances of the night...and it's a clumsy footrace for the bottom. Megan was once again, joyless with her rendition of Stevie Wonder's, "For Once In My Life"...and after the last 3 weeks, I'm still trying to figure out how in Odin's blue fuzzy **** she's still here. Again, it's got to be the power of the breasteseses, because it for **** sure ain't her singing talent that's keeping her in place. She sucks...ur...or blows...then again, maybe that's why she's still here. :blink: Scott, who isn't one of the strongest singers in this competition, has still been able to deliver some interesting performances. His story makes him intriguing, and his personality makes him very likeable, but unfortunately, after last night's butchering of "You Can't Hurry Love", I'd be lying if I didn't say that I think Scott has a strong chance of going home this week...again, it still comes down to America's vote, and stranger things have happened on this show, but his performance was bad...very bad. Then again, we still have our loveable Texas roughneck, Michael Sarver, who, like Megan, stunk for the 3rd straight week. Incidentally, his continued stay on the show might also be owed to the power of the boob...or in his case, moobs. Regardless, Sarver's weak run at "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" was lame...weak...kareoke-ish...and flat out sorry, and could be bad enough to send him packing.

So...that's how I see it for this week...the bottom 3 SHOULD be, Scott, Megan, and Michael, with either Megan or Michael getting the hook..however, since this is Idol, and you just never know who's going to vote and who's not...anything's possible... :ph34r:

In a perfect world I still see the top four as Danny, Adam, Matt, and Allison. Lil is good, but I have heard her a million times before. Megan or Michael should definitely be put out of their misery tonight.

Both of those need to go. Immediately. I think Alexis would have done great on Motown week, but it is what it is.

My top 3 performances were:

1. Adam

2. Matt

3. Allison

My guess for the bottom 3 is:

1. Michael

2. Megan

3. Lil

I think Scott is the weakest singer left in the competition, but he hasn't been in the bottom 3 yet, and those performances were about the same.

I actually think Megan has a good voice and her originality is off the charts. Plus, she is smokin' hot (even with the tattoos) :D

Apparently song choice isn't her forte, and it's going to be hard for her to execute a song that doesn't fit that retro-blues style.

Adam continues to suck for me. I just don't understand the love fest for this creepy dude(ette?). Megan was actually decent last night to me, but got blasted by the same judges who said she did great in previous weeks when she was awful. Michael shouldn't have made the top 13. I think he'll finally go tonight. The rest of them were really good.

edit: I forgot about Scott. Why is he here again?

Adam continues to suck for me. I just don't understand the love fest for this creepy dude(ette?). Megan was actually decent last night to me, but got blasted by the same judges who said she did great in previous weeks when she was awful. Michael shouldn't have made the top 13. I think he'll finally go tonight. The rest of them were really good.

edit: I forgot about Scott. Why is he here again?

Megan is just someone I don't get...she's got a quirky voice, but thus far, she's been less than mediocre...she should've never been around longer than Alexis... :wacko:

Vocally, that was her best performance so far. Which leads me to wonder how the heck she even made it to Hollywood. Alexis was far better, as was the chick that sang the Alicia Keys song. The judges have thrown me on some of the odd choices they made for their final 13.

Vocally, that was her best performance so far. Which leads me to wonder how the heck she even made it to Hollywood. Alexis was far better, as was the chick that sang the Alicia Keys song. The judges have thrown me on some of the odd choices they made for their final 13.

me too...i thought Ju'not was worthy of a shot for a wildcard, and i still believe that Danny Gokey's best friend was actually better than Gokey himself, but he didn't the same sympathetic backstory... :(

Sorry I still don't know the names but there are at least 5 potential superstars and two other good singers:

Elvis - smoked everybody last night. Dude has the most star appeal. By far

Danny - got some pipes. Gotta work on song selection and stage precense

16 year old - should win the competition. Breaks out a can of whoop as on a weekly basis. Consistent and confident

Guitar Man - better than piano man. Could be a good Mayer/Taylor type artist

Piano Man - good voice but like Danny better work on his stage precense

Tattoo Girl - yall just can't see it. This girl is different. Potential meter is on high. Right songs and producers and she's outta here

The Girl They Cut Last week - they cut Dolly Pardon and kept Taylor Hicks. Stupid. Where was the judges' save?

Anoop - nice studio voice but needs a Clay Aiken image overhaul. Grow hair long, get an ear ring and take off the engineer clothes

Little Rounds - slowly choking. Best singer on the roster though. Song selection and image problems will kill her. Call me girl

Cowboy - needs to go home

Blind Guy - nice story but needs to go. Gotta step it up to the Stevie, Ray, Orbison and Feleciano

Stevie Wonder. My favorite artist of all time. Nobody can do what he did. Nobody. He is a music god sent to us from another planet.

All the Grammys, all the hits, all the album cuts that were better than the hits. Wrote everything. Some of the hardest music to play. Played all the keys. Played all the drums. Can rip a harmonica. Always good live. And is blind. Try that.

I had the pleasure to meet him years ago at his friend's house he stays with when he comes to ATL. We talked for a while. He is so nice. He sung the melody (no words) for a new song he was working on at the time and asked me how I liked it. I was blown away. It ended up being Overjoyed about five years later. Probably my favorite music moment ever and I have a lot.

Stevie Wonder. My favorite artist of all time. Nobody can do what he did.

All the Grammys, all the hits, all the album cuts that were better than the hits. Wrote everything. Some of the hardest music to play. Played all the keys. Played all the drums. Can rip a harmonica. And is blind. Try that.

I had the pleasure to meet him at his friend's house he stays with when he comes to ATL. We talked for a while. He is so nice. He sung the melody (no words) for a new song he was working on and asked me how I liked it. I was blown away. It ended up being Overjoyed about five years later. Probably my favorite music moment and I have a lot.

He was incredible. Loved the performance.

Tattoo Girl - yall just can't see it. This girl is different. Potential meter is on high. Right songs and producers and she's outta here

I agree with you here. She was pretty bad this week, but she is a record executive's dream: attractive, good voice, very original, and personable.

Honestly, it is so played out and the talent level is so low now it really needs to just stop. I still like listening to Simon though

]This coming from someone who apparently doesn't watch the show. This season has the best depth of talent since the show started.

All those 14 year voters need to get their **** together. Matt 2nd to last in votes?

Exactly...I was fuming over the bottom 3...Matt in the bottom 3, and Joyless sittin' her goofy *** on the couch knowing that she just got lucky... I know some say she's got mad potential, but as a buddy of mine once told me..."Potential is that little French word for you ain't done it yet..." thus far, Megan Joyless has been a joke with nice breasteses...she's not unique in that regard...there's hundreds upon hundreds of mediocre gals with nice racks that have gone on to do a not a **** thing in the music industry...bleh...happy to see Michael get the boot tonight instead of Matt, but still mad that Matt was ever there to begin with... :ph34r: