My thoughts on the draft

rhourk

I believe that if the season started today, we have starters at every position on D. We may not all like them, and they may be young in some cases. They are our starters though. We still have needs, but they are upgrade needs, not giant holes. I believe we will get the best player available to fill a need, meaning we won't draft a MLB or a RE, but anything else will be fair game. This draft is deep deep deep in first round LB talent. There will be a run at OT that will push every other position down. A great, day one impact LB will fall to us at 24, and I think we will get him. This will be the model going forward. Have a consistent team, and draft teh best player available to improve it. Winners, not rock-stars. That's just my thoughts.

Having said that, the FO will probably go get Pettigrew, lol. I could live with that though.

I would be shocked, nay, outraged if we drafted Pettigrew.

But you're thinking is right on this, imo. When you look at pretty much every mock that takes into account BPA and team needs, you notice that there is elite LB talent that will likely fall to us at 24, while there really doesn't exist the same kind of talent at other positions in the late 1st round. The best OT's and DT's will be off the board, as well as the only 2 elite CB's, and there are no elite safeties. OLB is a position of need for us, and it looks like all of the linebackers aside from Curry will fall to the lower 1/4 of the draft. The only other position I think could be drafted there is DT, but none of the DT's on the board will be on the level of the linebackers that are there. I think we go LB with our 1st pick.

I think the only way we'd take Pettigrew is if all our potential 1st round targets are off the board, which is unlikely. An OLB will probably be the best value pick at 24 with the likes of Clay Matthews possibly being there. However alot of the OLB prospects are tweeners and more suited to a 3-4 defence, which reduces the no of possible players with a first round grade. I don't want us to draft Laurinaitis, he wouldn't fit as an outside backer in our system & ther's no way we should move Lofton to acommodate anyone.