What's up with the Racial Discomfort on American Idol?

womfalcs3

I felt uncomfortable watching Lil' being judged.

You had Kara say, "This was your week. If you can't do it this week, then..." (It's Mo-town week.)

Then you had somebody say, "You can run for president." Lil responded by yelling,"Obama!"

It wasn't racism. Just uncomfortable moments there.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you mean.

Kara does it with her every week. She says sh*t like "you go girl" and "da bomb", real transparent.

Tonight however, she is right and it is because Lil claims to be an R&B singer...i.e, Motown should have been right in her wheelhouse.

I voted for Obama, but that is a really stupid thing to do...you should never bring politics into the equation on a show like this.

I could've made an educated guess that she voted for Obama...90% of African Americans did. No real need to say it.

I don't think Lil can win based on tonight. She should have been the best.

On a side note, I can't stand it when the Paula and Simon poke at each other like two little kids in the back seat of a station wagon. This is the biggest moment in that kids life and it's disrespectful as ****. I don't care if tell the kid they stink or whatever, but at least give them your full attention.

Lil' was great the first week. So there was no need for Kara to say, "If you can't do it this week..."

Yes, she wasn't great country week or tonight, but it's not the genre. It's the song.

I agree about the Paula/Simon interaction, but I did laugh when she pulled out the coloring books and crayons.

I had to turn down the sound when Meghan sang (It really is very unpleasant to even hear her talk now.). Matt, Adam, and Anoop were the top 3 tonight for me.

I felt uncomfortable watching Lil' being judged.

You had Kara say, "This was your week. If you can't do it this week, then..." (It's Mo-town week.)

Then you had somebody say, "You can run for president." Lil responded by yelling,"Obama!"

It wasn't racism. Just uncomfortable moments there.

yea, I caught that too. It was pretty hilarious.

But not as hilarious as hearing Gothboy talk about respecting the song after he took that dump on the country week. :rolleyes:

Why was he so afraid to turn a Motown song into a travesty?

yea, I caught that too. It was pretty hilarious.

But not as hilarious as hearing Gothboy talk about respecting the song after he took that dump on the country week. :rolleyes:

Why was he so afraid to turn a Motown song into a travesty?

Smokey Robinson was in the audience and assisting them with the songs this week. Johnny Cash not so much last week.

I watched it tonight for the first time in years, i think ive only watched like 4 total, but the talent level sucks. This show needs to be over and done with. This show is ruining music and making a lot of garbage.

I can understand not being an American Idol fan, but this post was pretty ********.

I watched it tonight for the first time in years, i think ive only watched like 4 total, but the talent level sucks. This show needs to be over and done with. This show is ruining music and making a lot of garbage.

I don't like the show either, but it can't be singlehandedly be responsible for ruining music. Also... I wouldn't call these singers talentless. It's just that they're one dimensional. They don't have to play an instrument, they don't have to have any songwriting ability, they don't have to know their way around the studio. They just need a voice. And considering that most pop stars nowadays don't even have that, I wouldn't call American Idol contestants talentless.

The success of whoever wins is dependent on the public. Some Ameircan Idol winners and runner-ups have succeeded, and some winners have failed.

If the person who wins is bad, they will fail on the market.

It's not ruining music. The reasons are much bigger than that.

I know what you mean.

Kara does it with her every week. She says sh*t like "you go girl" and "da bomb", real transparent.

Tonight however, she is right and it is because Lil claims to be an R&B singer...i.e, Motown should have been right in her wheelhouse.

I voted for Obama, but that is a really stupid thing to do...you should never bring politics into the equation on a show like this.

I could've made an educated guess that she voted for Obama...90% of African Americans did. No real need to say it.

I don't think Lil can win based on tonight. She should have been the best.

How is that political? He's the president of the United States of America for christsake!!! Why do people keep acting like each president is just a ruler of a fringe group and not ALL of our leaders? So now bringing up the presidents name in a public setting can be seen as a partisian statement? Sad.....

I don't like the show either, but it can't be singlehandedly be responsible for ruining music. Also... I wouldn't call these singers talentless. It's just that they're one dimensional. They don't have to play an instrument, they don't have to have any songwriting ability, they don't have to know their way around the studio. They just need a voice. And considering that most pop stars nowadays don't even have that, I wouldn't call American Idol contestants talentless.

I blame the consumer. People are idiots, and enjoy listening to stupid music. If I hear the intro to Brittany Spears one more time "There are two kinds of people..." I can never get past that part before I slaughter a defenseless animal. I don't follow American Idol, because I think it unnecessarily puts these entertainers on a pedestal.

How is that political? He's the president of the United States of America for christsake!!! Why do people keep acting like each president is just a ruler of a fringe group and not ALL of our leaders? So now bringing up the presidents name in a public setting can be seen as a partisian statement? Sad.....

Hey pal, I don't think you are wrong...but did you hear the boos in the background when she said that? I did. I just don't think it's smart. If you are trying to win a competition in which all people can vote, you shouldn't yell out "Obama!!!!, yeah!!!!"

Hey pal, I don't think you are wrong...but did you hear the boos in the background when she said that? I did. I just don't think it's smart. If you are trying to win a competition in which all people can vote, you shouldn't yell out "Obama!!!!, yeah!!!!"

I actually didn't see it. But people were booing our president?

'scust

Honestly my opinion is the people that actually take the time and effort to call in and vote for these shows are already douches. But someone that would allow political disagreement to vote for a less talented contestant out of spite would be a super *****.

Do you really not get this? She just alienated herself from the 47% of the population who voted against Obama (no one voted FOR McCain) at least to a point....it may be to a very small degree, but it may sway a vote or two. Our Mom's always told us you don't discuss politics and religion, why did she tell us this? Because those who disagree with you probably will walk away with an harsh attitude and in this case be much less likely to vote for you. She is talented, but this was a boneheaded move all the way around.

I know David Cook (whom I like) won last year, how far do you think he would have gotten had he went around screaming Bush's name on stage?