NFL owners OK change to draft order in 2010

John Clayton of ESPN reports the NFL owners concluded their annual meeting Wednesday by voting to alter the draft order of pick Nos. 21 through 30 based on the teams' performance in the playoffs.

Under the new draft order, which will take effect in 2010, the order of teams not in the playoffs is still based on record -- i.e., the team with the worst record will receive the No. 1 draft pick.

For the rest, there will be a reseeding based on how far the teams go in the playoffs. For example, the losers of the wild-card games will be seeded 21st through 24th based on their records.

The losers in the divisional rounds will be seeded 25th through 28th. Teams eliminated in the conference championship games will be seeded 29th and 30th.

The Super Bowl loser will be seeded 31st. The Super Bowl winner will receive the final pick in the draft.

The NFL finally plans to sort out this anomaly. Am I the only one who thinks it's unfair that for example the Chargers (8-8 in the regular season, but division winners) who went as far as the Divisional Round of the playoffs pick at 16 & the Patriots who missed the playoffs, but went 11-5 pick at 23.

Teams like SD and Arizona who only got into the playoffs only because their division SUCKED will have only have a more difficult time building to an actual competitive level. Plus, we would pick 23rd instead of 24th because San Diego actually won a playoff game. It also allows teams who have great seasons but because they play in such difficult divisions a better chance t building faster. for example, we went 11-5...it was almost good enough to get the bye, we could be picking 28th....but since we were in the NFC south, didn't win the division AND lost in the first round, we pick 24th (or 23rd under this system). I'm not 100% sure if I'm in favor of it or not, but I think I'm leaning towards its a good thing

I think the reseeding should not be in the draft, but the playoffs themselves. No way should Pittsburgh get 8-8 SD while the conference champ Titans get stuck with the Ravens

I agree, the whole seeing is ridiculous. Last years, the Colts should have been the home team to the Chargers. They had what? 4 more wins than the Chargers and had to play on the road just because they play in a tougher division.

Do like the basketball tournament. Seeds based on record(not division winners). Wildcard weekend: #3 vs #6, #4 vs #5. Next weekend the #1 plays the lowest seeded(whether it's #4, #5, or #6), and the #2 plays the #3 or #4.

Teams like SD and Arizona who only got into the playoffs only because their division SUCKED will have only have a more difficult time building to an actual competitive level. Plus, we would pick 23rd instead of 24th because San Diego actually won a playoff game. It also allows teams who have great seasons but because they play in such difficult divisions a better chance t building faster. for example, we went 11-5...it was almost good enough to get the bye, we could be picking 28th....but since we were in the NFC south, didn't win the division AND lost in the first round, we pick 24th (or 23rd under this system). I'm not 100% sure if I'm in favor of it or not, but I think I'm leaning towards its a good thing

if arizona only made it to the playoffs because their division sucked then how did they make it to the super bowl? :huh:

I think the reseeding should not be in the draft, but the playoffs themselves. No way should Pittsburgh get 8-8 SD while the conference champ Titans get stuck with the Ravens

I think Playoff seeding should be based completely off the W-L record. I dont think simply winning your Division should entitle a team to host a home Playoff game. The Playoffs last year were ridiculous. The Falcons should have played Arizona in the Dome.

I think Playoff seeding should be based completely off the W-L record. I dont think simply winning your Division should entitle a team to host a home Playoff game. The Playoffs last year were ridiculous. The Falcons should have played Arizona in the Dome.

heck man, atleast the better record team in the wild card gets home-field advantage at the least.

I agree with you 100% the whole winning a Division lets you get in to playoffs is a joke and last year proved it. But then to add insult to injury both Arizona and SD pick before us in Draft what a joke.

I agree with you 100% the whole winning a Division lets you get in to playoffs is a joke and last year proved it. But then to add insult to injury both Arizona and SD pick before us in Draft what a joke.

Arizona picks at 31 because they contested the Superbowl, but yes San Diego do pick at 16. They beat Indy in the playoffs, but because Indy's record in the regular season was 12-4 they pick 27th. I can't believe it's taken the league so long to rectify this.

lol...yeah, Arizona is just barely getting to that "competitve" level