a question of leadership..

lots of folks think we're cloning the patriots, but like bellichick runs new england, maybe smith did a majority of thos offseason picks last year..i wouldn't get a guy that my head coach wouldn't coach. My question is simple, who has more influence...mike or td?

their magic was their harmony and teamwork

Mike and Thomas are pretty much on the same page 100% of the time, but TD technically makes the final calls on the players.

actually this is pretty much true. From what I"VE BEEN READING these two are pretty much on the same page with each other when it comes to players. It makes sense if you think about it. As a GM you want to get players that fit your coaches scheme. What is the best way to do this? Work with you head coach as closely as possible when it comes to picking up players. Im sure they don't agree all the time who does?? But for the most part they do.

In interviews they have both stated that they pretty much see eye to eye, but since the question iswho has more influence:

You gotta break it down:

Smitty probably has more influence with the coaches he has brought in that he knows very well; as well, as porbably most veteran players and definitely the defense.

TD has ALL of the influence in the FO and i would argue has equal or more influence with the younger guys, especially rookies, because he is taking the team inn that direction.

Either way their influences are probably overlapping on most all areas especially since they both have only done everything right. (except the time out before the 2 minute mark in the Philly game...Smitty!! JK)

They share the same philosophy & from what you hear in the media, they are as close as any GM / coach partnership in the league when it comes to evaluating players.

Ultimately however, it's TD's call. You either have the situation (as it is in Atlanta) where the GM is in place & hires his choice of coach, or where the owner gives control to the coach & the GM is more of a role player as in New England or with Mangini in Cleveland.

Do you honestly believe that if Smitty had the ultimate say on player personnel, we wouldn't have taken Dorsey last year?

The question of leadership and influence is relative to who you are asking about. Who has more pull with the players on the team, obviously Smith. What makes us so great though is that both guys work together and participate in each other's respective job. TD hired Smith because they had many of the same ideals as to how you build a team, and in player evaluation.

Who makes the final calls on Draft Day? TD, but I can almost guarantee you that both of them want the player. You aren't going to see one side or the other going rogue on each other. You will not see TD drafting a player only for Smith to be morose about having him on the team.

TD is GM, Smith is Coach, and both work together very well.

really what does it matter? Its a little bit of a reach to me either way. More influence, who makes the decisions, etc.. They work together to come up with the best options for the system. Point blank. If you really WANNA SEPERATE THEM one is a head coach on is a GM. One was hired to coach, the other was hired to work the draft, free agency,etc.

lots of folks think we're cloning the patriots, but like bellichick runs new england, maybe smith did a majority of thos offseason picks last year..i wouldn't get a guy that my head coach wouldn't coach. My question is simple, who has more influence...mike or td?

It has been stated numerous times both work in tandem but TD has final say.

A great leader is someone that can and will listen to those around them.

At the end of the day it is TD final decision.

BUT he won't do anything that is gonna go completely against what Smith is needing.

TD has said many times Smith's willingness to be part of the scouting and draft process was a factor in being selected.

In an interview process different members of a hiring team approach from different angles. Smitty and his coaching staff probably spend most of their time evaluating on the field performance while TD evaluates their characters, work ethics, and such to see if they will stay out of trouble and fit into the organization. Then it is all about risk vs reward and since TD is ultimately responsible for getting return on investment he makes the final call.

If you have a contentious relationship between the two it is murder to the team. HCs will purposely push a draft choice to bust to make a GM look bad. That is part of why Favre was traded away.