I Can Get Behind Owebama On This One

The Obama administration is preparing to send federal agents to the south-west border as reinforcements in the fight against Mexican drug cartels, even as officials consider taking money from one immigration enforcement programme and using it to fight cartel-related crime.

The deployments are part of Barack Obama's first moves to boost federal security on the US side of the border.

Immigration officials are considering asking Congress for approval to shift tens of millions of dollars from enforcing workplace immigration laws to the anti-cartel efforts along the south-west border, according to a person familiar with the discussions who spoke on condition of anonymity because officials have not made the request yet to Congress.

Such a request could face stiff resistance from lawmakers who want to see that money spent investigating employers who knowingly hire illegal immigrants.

Sean Smith, a spokesman for the department of homeland security, denied such a request would be made and said it was never under consideration.

One official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said homeland security officials have been discussing for the past week different ways to respond to growing violence along the border. The idea of shifting money from enforcement of workplace immigration laws came out of those talks.

Another official familiar with the plans said the immigration and customs enforcement agency, known as Ice, will be shifting more than 90 officers to the border. The official requested anonymity because the plan has not yet been announced.

Separately, the bureau of alcohol, tobacco, firearms and explosives is hiring 37 people to target gunrunners operating along the border.

The additional immigration agents could double the size of an ongoing ICE task force that has been working with other federal agencies to fight the criminal organizations contributing to the border violence.

The ATF is hiring agents and support personnel to boost anti-gunrunning teams in McAllen, Texas; El Centro, California; and Las Cruces, New Mexico. ATF will also add attaches to US consulates in Juárez and Tijuana. Some of the reinforcement costs will be covered with economic recovery money recently approved by Congress.

The US-Mexico border has been a different problem for Obama than it was for his predecessor, George W Bush. While Bush sent national guard troops to stem the flow of illegal immigrants, Obama's first moves are designed more to keep violence from spilling across the border.

Obama plans to go to Mexico next month to meet president Felipe Calderón to discuss how the two countries can work together to fight the drug-related violence.

Mexican officials say the violence spawned by warring drug cartels killed 6,290 people last year and more than 1,000 so far this year, mostly south of the border.

Over the weekend, hundreds of Mexican army troops arrived in Juárez, a border city across the Rio Grande from El Paso, Texas. Police in Juárez have been swamped by drug violence. The move brought the number of soldiers patrolling the city to around 7,000.

Warring drug cartels are blamed for more than 560 kidnappings in Phoenix, Arizona in 2007 and the first half of 2008, as well as killings in Atlanta, Georgia; Birmingham, Alabama; and Vancouver, British Columbia in Canada.

Now, lets send some soldiers to stop the Illegal's from entering our country!

You've missed the articles where they are asking for asylum now??? I say you are 12 to 20 million too late!!! Sorry, that is how I'm set up!!

The Obama administration is preparing to send federal agents to the south-west border as reinforcements in the fight against Mexican drug cartels, even as officials consider taking money from one immigration enforcement programme and using it to fight cartel-related crime.

The deployments are part of Barack Obama's first moves to boost federal security on the US side of the border.

Immigration officials are considering asking Congress for approval to shift tens of millions of dollars from enforcing workplace immigration laws to the anti-cartel efforts along the south-west border, according to a person familiar with the discussions who spoke on condition of anonymity because officials have not made the request yet to Congress.

Such a request could face stiff resistance from lawmakers who want to see that money spent investigating employers who knowingly hire illegal immigrants.

Sean Smith, a spokesman for the department of homeland security, denied such a request would be made and said it was never under consideration.

One official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said homeland security officials have been discussing for the past week different ways to respond to growing violence along the border. The idea of shifting money from enforcement of workplace immigration laws came out of those talks.

Another official familiar with the plans said the immigration and customs enforcement agency, known as Ice, will be shifting more than 90 officers to the border. The official requested anonymity because the plan has not yet been announced.

Separately, the bureau of alcohol, tobacco, firearms and explosives is hiring 37 people to target gunrunners operating along the border.

The additional immigration agents could double the size of an ongoing ICE task force that has been working with other federal agencies to fight the criminal organizations contributing to the border violence.

The ATF is hiring agents and support personnel to boost anti-gunrunning teams in McAllen, Texas; El Centro, California; and Las Cruces, New Mexico. ATF will also add attaches to US consulates in Juárez and Tijuana. Some of the reinforcement costs will be covered with economic recovery money recently approved by Congress.

The US-Mexico border has been a different problem for Obama than it was for his predecessor, George W Bush. While Bush sent national guard troops to stem the flow of illegal immigrants, Obama's first moves are designed more to keep violence from spilling across the border.

Obama plans to go to Mexico next month to meet president Felipe Calderón to discuss how the two countries can work together to fight the drug-related violence.

Mexican officials say the violence spawned by warring drug cartels killed 6,290 people last year and more than 1,000 so far this year, mostly south of the border.

Over the weekend, hundreds of Mexican army troops arrived in Juárez, a border city across the Rio Grande from El Paso, Texas. Police in Juárez have been swamped by drug violence. The move brought the number of soldiers patrolling the city to around 7,000.

Warring drug cartels are blamed for more than 560 kidnappings in Phoenix, Arizona in 2007 and the first half of 2008, as well as killings in Atlanta, Georgia; Birmingham, Alabama; and Vancouver, British Columbia in Canada.

Now, lets send some soldiers to stop the Illegal's from entering our country!

You've missed the articles where they are asking for asylum now??? I say you are 12 to 20 million too late!!! Sorry, that is how I'm set up!!

Yeah, this is the part that bothers me. .Liberals will try to use this to stop work place enforcement.

BnB, I meant PEOPLE, not dollars!!! :lol::lol:

Yeah, this is the part that bothers me. .Liberals will try to use this to stop work place enforcement.

Ha Ha you said OWEBama in your thread title, that's some funny stuff you made his name sound like OWE, cause you think he spends alot !!! Wow man that is some serious with you have there.

Observation: You're not very good at posting in politics related threads.

So Obama, like his predecessor George W. Picklespank, just has no interest in enforcing our existing immigration laws, which, if we'd done at some point over the past bazillion years, would've gone a long way toward preventing this entire border mess.

CHANGE YOU CAN BELIEVE IN! !

I'm all for keeping ILLEGALS illegal! The point I was making (was) that if you thought it was bad before, the Mexican dope man is about to make it worse!!!

You've gotta stop the bleeding somewhere, this could be a start. As far as amnesty, are you talking about granting amnesty, or giving illegals a 10yr.path to citizinship?

Observation: You're not very good at posting in politics related threads.

So what actually happens in a political thread here? Let's see one side posts some crap about the other side, the other side posts some crap to refute the crap that was posted. The poster of the original crap and his buddies tries to refute the crap that the other side posted to refute the original crap. Then this process continues until both sides start going in circles. The next day one side posts another crap thread and the cycle repeats itself pretty much for eternity.

Yep awesome production there, lot's gets accomplished and issues are resolved!!!!

So what actually happens in a political thread here? Let's see one side posts some crap about the other side, the other side posts some crap to refute the crap that was posted. The poster of the original crap and his buddies tries to refute the crap that the other side posted to refute the original crap. Then this process continues until both sides start going in circles. The next day one side posts another crap thread and the cycle repeats itself pretty much for eternity.

Yep awesome production there, lot's gets accomplished and issues are resolved!!!!

Flame On!!!!

I'm all for keeping ILLEGALS illegal! The point I was making was that if you thought it was bad before, the Mexican dope man is about to make it worse!!!

I agree with you about keeping Illegals illegal, but what do you do about the millions of illegal's children born on this side of the border? The Mexican dope man making it worse? Good flush the roaches out of the walls, lets see what they got!

To answer your question, but as for the children of illegals born here, they suffer the same fate as somone doing a long term bid in prison here OR they can go home with their parents! Let me say this much, I don't hate anyone, but I have seen these people pimp the system and I am tired of it!!! We can't afford ILLEGAL aliens!!

I agree with you about keeping Illegals illegal, but what do you do about the millions of illegal's children born on this side of the border? The Mexican dope man making it worse? Good flush the roaches out of the walls, lets see what they got!

To answer your question, but as for the children of illegals born here, they suffer the same fate as somone doing a long term bid in prison here OR they can go home with their parents! Let me say this much, I don't hate anyone, but I have seen these people pimp the system and I am tired of it!!! We can't afford ILLEGAL aliens!!

I agree with you about Illegals pimping the system, and our tax dollars are paying for it, but if you deny a child born in this country their citizenship, your not just bending the Constitution, you've just broke it!