Postmaster General John Potter warns that the Postal Service could run out of money this year.

Statick

Cash-Strapped Postal Service Seeks Help in Cutting Costs

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Postmaster General John Potter says that without help, the U.S. Postal Service will run out of money this year.

Potter told a House subcommittee Wednesday the lingering question is: Which bills will get paid and which will not.

He said he will make sure that salaries are paid, but also said other bills might have to wait. Potter is seeking permission to reduce mail delivery to five days a week and wants to reduce other costs.

He said the post office is "facing losses of historic proportion. Our situation is critical."

The post office was $2.8 billion in the red last year and is facing even larger losses this year due to the sharp decline in mail volume in the weak economy.

With as much money as they make us spend on friggin' postage stamps and delivery, this is surprising. <_<

I wouldn't be against the notion of them delivering only three days a week. However, I would love for them to open up more than one $%@# service window instead of making people wait in line for half an hour or more. :angry:

It's a government run entity which means it already has or is doomed to...

Of course. Because the government can only be used for destruction and eeeeeeviiiiil.....

muahhahhhhhahha...

But seriously this is more bad news..Another entity that is almost too big to fail, but has obviously been poorly managed. The sad truth is most corporations in this country (private and gov.) have been survivng paycheck to paycheck just like the average American household.

Of course. Because the government can only be used for destruction and eeeeeeviiiiil.....

muahhahhhhhahha...

But seriously this is more bad news..Another entity that is almost too big to fail, but has obviously been poorly managed. The sad truth is most corporations in this country (private and gov.) have been survivng paycheck to paycheck just like the average American household.

It's not that the government is evil (yes, I know you were joking) but they don't have a great track record for running things efficiently or well. Social Security is a prime example.

I'd rather see the postal service privatized. We are already partially there with Fed Ex and UPS. Whatever they do, it's not going to effect me much and eventually, it may go the way of the dinosaurs with the advancing of online statements and payments. I can't remember the last time I wrote a letter...

It's not that the government is evil (yes, I know you were joking) but they don't have a great track record for running things efficiently or well. Social Security is a prime example.

I'd rather see the postal service privatized. We are already partially there with Fed Ex and UPS. Whatever they do, it's not going to effect me much and eventually, it may go the way of the dinosaurs with the advancing of online statements and payments. I can't remember the last time I wrote a letter...

I agree seeing the postal service privatized is actually a pretty good idea worth discussion. I actually think it would create more jobs (advertising revenue alone would create an entire industry).

The postal service needs to fail. I left my cell phone at my parents house about months back. It was mailed to me, and insured for $100.00. When it arrived, the package had been slit open with a knife and my phone removed. I brought the envelope to the post office asking that they check for my phone, as it may have fallen out. The woman at the counter told me that the theft of electronics was a problem at the post office and that is what most likely happened. Six weeks later I received a letter from the USPS denying my insurance claim (100 bucks on a 400 dollar blackberry) because the package was delivered. IT WAS CUT OPEN BY A POST OFFICE EMPLOYEE!!!!!!!

This is not the first time something like that happened to my family either. That organization needs to fail. A private company would never get away with that.

The postal service needs to fail. I left my cell phone at my parents house about months back. It was mailed to me, and insured for $100.00. When it arrived, the package had been slit open with a knife and my phone removed. I brought the envelope to the post office asking that they check for my phone, as it may have fallen out. The woman at the counter told me that the theft of electronics was a problem at the post office and that is what most likely happened. Six weeks later I received a letter from the USPS denying my insurance claim (100 bucks on a 400 dollar blackberry) because the package was delivered. IT WAS CUT OPEN BY A POST OFFICE EMPLOYEE!!!!!!!

This is not the first time something like that happened to my family either. That organization needs to fail. A private company would never get away with that.

Doesn't the USPS had a contract with Fex Ex or UPS for assistance with parcel deliveries? Or does that only apply during the holidays?

Doesn't the USPS had a contract with Fex Ex or UPS for assistance with parcel deliveries? Or does that only apply during the holidays?

I don't know about that. I do know that I had them trace the package's path, and it was never out of the care of the USPS from the time it was dropped off in my hometown, until the time it was put in the locked mailbox at my condo complex. It was never subcontracted out.

I think it is probably time for them to eliminate Saturday delivery. Reality is a lot of people use electronic bill pay with banks and you can't pay bills on Saturday or Sunday you can put it in the cue to be paid, but nothing happens. I might leave post offices open to be able to sell stamps and collect packages, but no postal carriers delivering mail on Saturday. If people want Saturday delivery they could always use fed ex or UPS. This would save a lot of money and allow them to eliminate a lot of people and overtime.