My case For William Moore.

hakim24

2007: Played more of a FS role and was out in zone coverage due to having "pig" Brown as more of a "in the box" type Safety. He was labeled as a Ball Hawking Safety and would have been a top 15 pick in the 2008 Draft.

2008: Pig Brown graduates and Moore has to take over his role as an "in the box" safety. He received another Label as a premier Run stuffing type Safety that could convert to LB.

This is the difference and what has him pushing almost into the 3rd round. If anything, this shows how versatile he really is. In two years, in two TOTALLY DIFFERENT roles, he has excelled in whatever has been asked of him to do.

I see him as a Troy Polamalu Type Safety. One who can play either in the box or out in coverage and excel. He has gotten over the injuries, and Got back down to his 2007 weight.

He is going to be a steal in the 2nd round. Mark My words. I am REALLY hoping we get him.

I don't like his coverage instincts in zone coverage....

I wouldn't mind him too much with our late 2nd, but I'd be a little upset if we tried trading up to get him...

Personally I'd rather have cover first safeties like Rashad Johnson over these bigger in the box safeties like Moore and Chung...

I think that is who we get in the 2nd, I really think we are targeting a Safety in the second, depending on who is still on the board.

I have always been a Moore fan and initially to be honest I wouldn't even mind him in the 1st. There are players that I'd rather have there but if we picked him I wouldn't be upset. I think he's one of those players whose stock has unfairly diminshed because he has been in the limelight too long. I think he is currently the best of all the college safeties, and also has the most upside of all the college safeties.

The only thing that is debatable for me is whether he is good value.

As much as I like him Rashad Johnson in the 2nd is to me just better value than William Moore in the 1st. Something else affecting his value is that if the coaching staff feel DeCoud is up to the starting job (which I feel is very possible), then this pick could be put to far better use.

I don't like his coverage instincts in zone coverage....

I wouldn't mind him too much with our late 2nd, but I'd be a little upset if we tried trading up to get him...

Personally I'd rather have cover first safeties like Rashad Johnson over these bigger in the box safeties like Moore and Chung...

But yet, in 2007, when he had many more opportunities, he came up with 8 Ints.

You already know that I would take him over Delmas, Johnson, or Chung any day because he has the most upside.

But think about this, if we drafted a Safety like Johnson or Delmas, we would have 3 "natural" FS's. What if, in one game, we are getting trampled in the run game? Who is going to step up into the box and help stuff the run?

We wouldn't have many options because stepping up in the box goes against guys like Johnson's and Delmas' Strengths.

If we had Moore, he could step up with no problem. He showed he can do it when he was asked..... for the MAJORITY of the time.

When he was asked to cover the MAJORITY of the time, he came up with 8 ints. He has Rare talent and can excel in whatever we ask him to.

I would like to see us starting with DeCoud and Coleman at S and then we replace Coleman next year with one of Ss in a strong S class in the 2010 draft

How do you know Eric Berry is coming out? What about Morgan Burnett? you can't say Next year's Draft will be better until you KNOW who has declared and who hasn't taken a step back that year.

Anything can happen. That is why you do not put much stock into "next year".

The FO is obviously targeting a Safety. Either DeCoud or Coleman is not in the long-term plans.

I have always been a Moore fan and initially to be honest I wouldn't even mind him in the 1st. There are players that I'd rather have there but if we picked him I wouldn't be upset. I think he's one of those players whose stock has unfairly diminshed because he has been in the limelight too long. I think he is currently the best of all the college safeties, and also has the most upside of all the college safeties.

The only thing that is debatable for me is whether he is good value.

As much as I like him Rashad Johnson in the 2nd is to me just better value than William Moore in the 1st. Something else affecting his value is that if the coaching staff feel DeCoud is up to the starting job (which I feel is very possible), then this pick could be put to far better use.

You do not want 3 "natural" FS's on your roster. Johnson will not be able to step up in the box and help in the run game. Coleman might be able to, but that is going away from his strengths.

I want Moore because he can do whatever we need and ask him to do.

How do you know Eric Berry is coming out? What about Morgan Burnett? you can't say Next year's Draft will be better until you KNOW who has declared and who hasn't taken a step back that year.

Anything can happen. That is why you do not put much stock into "next year".

The FO is obviously targeting a Safety. Either DeCoud or Coleman is not in the long-term plans.

Coleman i think that he already said it, i still think that our starting Safties will be Decoud at FS and Coleman at SS

You do not want 3 "natural" FS's on your roster. Johnson will not be able to step up in the box and help in the run game. Coleman might be able to, but that is going away from his strengths.

I want Moore because he can do whatever we need and ask him to do.

I don't particularly think in our scheme we have to have strict SS and FS but I do see your point...we could do with a bit of a bruiser at S and that's definitely Moore.

Ultimately like I said I would love to have him, and wouldn't be unhappy with him in the 1st.

Coleman i think that he already said it, i still think that our starting Safties will be Decoud at FS and Coleman at SS

But Why is TD talking to Delmas, Johnson, and Moore? They all will take a 2nd rounder or more.

My guess is that Coleman will become good depth or we will use him as trade bait in the future. I honestly do not feel he is in the "long-term" plans. I know he had a good year, but for some reason, I just don't think he is the long-term answer.

from what i've read, i'm afraid he's too stupid to play safety for us. poor instincts is what i see in every single write up. i dont care a lt about 40 time. the reason i loved lofton last year was exceptional instincts. that is wh laurinaitis is my 1st rd pick this year.

So you are telling me that he totally lost his ability from 2007 to 2008? HIS ROLE COMPLETELY CHANGED!!!!!!!! I don't mean to sound rude and I respect your views, but you have to understand the circumstances.

Going for 85% out in coverage...... 8 ints

To

85% in the box...... labeled as a premier run stuffer.

But Why is TD talking to Delmas, Johnson, and Moore? They all will take a 2nd rounder or more.

My guess is that Coleman will become good depth or we will use him as trade bait in the future. I honestly do not feel he is in the "long-term" plans. I know he had a good year, but for some reason, I just don't think he is the long-term answer.

I believe you. I would love us to get Moore in the second at SS. I do think that he may play behind Coleman at SS, and eventually take over for him in 2010 or 2011. I just dont think that we will take a safety at 24 when we have Decoud and Coleman. I would love to see Decoud and Moore back there in 2010.

from what i've read, i'm afraid he's too stupid to play safety for us. poor instincts is what i see in every single write up. i dont care a lt about 40 time. the reason i loved lofton last year was exceptional instincts. that is wh laurinaitis is my 1st rd pick this year.

I dont know where you are getting your information from but I would love to read it regarding Moore. Everything that i have found doesn't support your claim about his poor instincts, but you may have more access to better information ,if so please provide it to me. I do agree with Hakim that he has the most upside and is one of the better Ballhawking safties in this draft besides Rashad Johnson.

Positives: Well-built athlete with a prototypical blend of size, speed and instincts. … Fast and agile enough to be a true centerfielder in coverage, as well as possessing the explosiveness to be an intimidating hitter over the middle. … Reliable open-field tackler -- has rare body control to break down in space and make the reliable tackle. … Reads the quarterback's eyes and can close on the ball. … Led the Big 12 and broke the school single-season record with eight interceptions in 2007. … Has a history of turning INTs into TDs, with four of his 11 career picks returned for scores. … Showed his toughness by playing through a torn labrum for much of the 2007 season. … Experienced at both safety positions. … Dynamic athlete who should improve as he gains more experience.

Negatives: Flashes explosiveness as a hitter, but is too inconsistent in this area. … Leads with his shoulder to create the sensational hit, but doesn't wrap up effectively. … Too often resorts to shoestring tackles that were effective at the college level, but could be high-stepped through by better athletes. … Dynamic athlete whose aggression and inexperience can get him in trouble while in coverage. … Willing to gamble and can be beaten over the top with an effective double-move. … Was not the same player in 2008 that flashed in 2007, prompting some concerns that he could be a bit of a one-year wonder. … Sat out spring drills recovering from surgery to repair a torn labrum.

Strengths: Terrific size and bulk with sub 4.5 speed ... Great instincts to diagnose the play ... Comfortable in run support and does not hesitate to lay the wood ... Adept to creating turnovers (10 interceptions, 4 forced fumbles in past three seasons) ... Playmaker who is always around the football ... Versatility to play strong or free safety, but is more well suited to be in the box ... Natural ability to blitz and get in the opponents backfield ... Outstanding leader.

Weaknesses: Does he have the recovery speed to play free safety? ... Somewhat disappointing senior campaign after a phenomenal junior season ... Needs to refine backpedal in coverage ... Sometimes plays out of control.

Summary: Moore provides some versatility, but I believe he will make his mark in the NFL as a strong safety ... He is a great playmaker

Okay, so we'd draft him to play FS? I don't get it.

We are supposedly a Cover 2 team that wants to rely on the Front Seven to stop the run. That is why some feel we can have two FS's back there.

The problem is that if we can't stop the run on a certain Sunday, we won't have a S on our roster who feels comfortable playing in the box and helping in run support.

We Draft him as that "versatile" player that can help us in both Facets of being a Safety.

Can someone explain to me why his stock dropped so much during the seinor bowl week then??

I didn't watch the Senior Bowl week, but I do know he was in a lot of Man Coverage and was still playing at about 230 lbs.

Think about this. He was a 1st rounder and his stock was on a steady decline. Not to make excuses for him, but he had a bunch of pressure to come out and prove his worth. He was at a LBer weight and had a little trouble in Man.

He has lost the extra weight and overall, I think he is MUCH better when he is playing back in Zone.... which is what he will be playing in our scheme.