hi everyone

falcmom

Hey everyone. I am new to these boards, and really new to falcons football. Im writing because my son, who is 10, is now a die hard falcons fan. His father really got him interested in the falcons last season. He doesn't get to see his father much, we are divorced and his dad is in the army and will be in Iraq through most of this upcoming season. I have no idea how football works. I know there is offense and defense and a quarterback, that's about it. He loves the falcons so much now, i was hoping atlanta falcons had something on here for kids, but there's not. And reading through some of these post, and how rude people can get, i don't think i will set him up an account to learn on here. Does anyone know of a good website i can learn more about the falcons, and the actual positions in football so i can join this new love of his and help him out in learning his new love? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Marie

Hey everyone. I am new to these boards, and really new to falcons football. Im writing because my son, who is 10, is now a die hard falcons fan. His father really got him interested in the falcons last season. He doesn't get to see his father much, we are divorced and his dad is in the army and will be in Iraq through most of this upcoming season. I have no idea how football works. I know there is offense and defense and a quarterback, that's about it. He loves the falcons so much now, i was hoping atlanta falcons had something on here for kids, but there's not. And reading through some of these post, and how rude people can get, i don't think i will set him up an account to learn on here. Does anyone know of a good website i can learn more about the falcons, and the actual positions in football so i can join this new love of his and help him out in learning his new love? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Marie

The internet is a crude place in general..Wish I can lead you down the right path but online is not the answer to the sitatuion anywhere you look or anywhere there will be rude people..Best bet is try FOOTBALL FUTURES or grab a book like football for dummies and follow along.

If your hot Im willing to help you out with a tutor lesson

Marie

Marie, welcome :D

I'm glad you're preparing the next generation to take over.

There is a Falcon Football 101 class toward the end of summer, I believe.

A lot of women participate in that--they actually get to do some drills, I think.

Anyway, check the Falcon's homepage periodically for info.

PS: Glad his dad and he will be able to bond over football

The internet is a crude place in general..Wish I can lead you down the right path but online is not the answer to the sitatuion anywhere you look or anywhere there will be rude people..Best bet is try FOOTBALL FUTURES or grab a book like football for dummies and follow along.

If your hot Im willing to help you out with a tutor lesson

:lol: :lol: You just couldn't be good, could you?

Marie

yea sorry this place does get really bad, and would not recommend it to someone his age. I can not really think of anything on the web, but him playing madden will help a lot.

Watch the games with him. Let him invite some friends over, set them up with some wings, pizza, etc. Make it fun. Without a father figure you have to encourage him as a father would or at least do the best you can which means you will have to go out of your comfort zone. He needs also to be around men (grandfather, etc) because only a man can teach a boy to become a man. Thats why society is so screwed up because we have women trying to teach boys to become men and they can't. Another point, this is primarily an adult message board, no place for a 10 year old, in fact he should not be on any internet message boards at all.

Marie

Unfortunately this is probably not a good forum for his age due to some of the teenagers and 20 somethings who forget that people of all ages and backgrounds read this. I went on kids google and found this maybe it will work. http://www.nflrush.com/fancentral/fieldguide/?p=528

Marie

Congrats, it's always good to hear about a new Falcons fan joining the group. I wish your kid's dad the best, and hope he comes home soon and in good health. On to your questions.

No, there isn't really much specifically for kids on the Atlanta Falcons website. The Falcons and it's players occasionally host events for kids. The organization is very outgoing and I am sure that if you keep checking around on the website, you will find something happening that is for the kids.

Concerning the forum. You were smart. My advice is to keep your kid as far away from the forums as possible. While good talk can be occasionally found, there is all sorts of garbage that can quickly get out of hand here. Last year, fans of another team we were playing spent an entire week creating multiple accounts to fill up the messageboard with out right lude and disgusting messages and links to "adults only" websites.

Learning about football. The entire topic is pretty expansive, but I put a few links to various websites that cover the sport pretty well below...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Football

http://football.about.com/cs/football101/a...football101.htm

http://www.chicksguidetofootball.com/pages/1/

Below are links to a few books on football you might want to buy if you are interested.

http://www.yes4.com/

http://www.dummies.com/store/product/Footb...0470125365.html

Below are some links you probably want to save/favorite. Includes official website for the NFL and the Atlanta Falcons, as well as a link to the sportsecyclopedia's page on the Atlanta Falcons.

http://www.nfl.com

http://www.atlantafalcons.com

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/atlanta/falcons.html

If you have any questions, or just want to know more about the sport or the Falcons, feel free to send me a private message on here.

Hope this helped,

James

Most importantly you need to watch the games with him. I promise you if you watch them and actually keep up with them you will become a fan as well. My gf who i have been dating for about a year and a half is a big Falcons fan now because i have made it apart of our lives pretty much. Sundays i go to church and i watch football. She has no choice but to come watch with me :). I just hope its not a phase for your son. When i was 10 i did not care about the NFL at all. My dad and brother are going to Irag in June so i feel you there. Good Luck

ranting, she knows about that CIA paige. but that leaves me wondering about you now.watch out guys ranting is CIA and most likely responsible for the eagles game buffed punt call.BEWARE. hi marie this board is ok most of the time. and probably alot cleaner and more trust worthy than the unofficial boards. but we need proof you are not CIA. they are plotting for next season as we speak. i fear for tre lewis and his health as i know he will likely be a target for the 3rd time.they even got fin again last year with the ridiculous fumble call. they (the CIA), will stop at nothing to ensure 2 things.1(the falcons will lose b2b seasons forever)2(the falcons will never win a superbowl) why? ( operation falcon fowl up) my name for the CIA division against us or (OFFU) has motives currently they are unknown. but it is clear several agents are on this board. we know ranting is 1 now CIA kids site. you people(CIA), sicken me

ranting, she knows about that CIA paige. but that leaves me wondering about you now.watch out guys ranting is CIA and most likely responsible for the eagles game buffed punt call.BEWARE. hi marie this board is ok most of the time. and probably alot cleaner and more trust worthy than the unofficial boards. but we need proof you are not CIA. they are plotting for next season as we speak. i fear for tre lewis and his health as i know he will likely be a target for the 3rd time.they even got fin again last year with the ridiculous fumble call. they (the CIA), will stop at nothing to ensure 2 things.1(the falcons will lose b2b seasons forever)2(the falcons will never win a superbowl) why? ( operation falcon fowl up) my name for the CIA division against us or (OFFU) has motives currently they are unknown. but it is clear several agents are on this board. we know ranting is 1 now CIA kids site. you people(CIA), sicken me

LOL i am outed.

my girl learned football so quick when we met, i sent her an email, heres the link she sent me explaining the positions and what they do., hope it helps in understanding who is who on the feild.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_football_positions

:lol: :lol:

That's like something out of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Welcome falcmom hope you can find things to help you learn so you can take part in the enjoyment with your son. As you can see by the post below this is not some place for your ten year old son to be. the poster below is very right this place is getting really bad and as you call tell by the things he feels necessary to put in his sig a ten year old should not be here. But then if you read enough of his post you will wonder if he isn't really just ten years old.

yea sorry this place does get really bad, and would not recommend it to someone his age. I can not really think of anything on the web, but him playing madden will help a lot.

Marie

Marie, if you are close enough, I would recommend going to the Falcons 101 training camp. I've sent my granddaughters through it ( I go with them for support). It is an awesome day which includes talking with current Falcons players, running through drills with ex Falcons players, film study and explanation, rules explanation classes and classes on rules and penalties by officials. There is a beginners and a next step class. They also have an autograph session and lunch is provided. It is great fun and a great learning experience. It is not expensive, either. It is held in the Fall and you can sign up from this web site. I highly recommend it. I'm taking one of my granddaughters again this year as she has become a fast fan.

Marie

Welcome! I'd just "google" "football 101" and somethings will pop-up. You can also ask questions. He'll soon learn the rules perhaps in Physical Education.....and the Falcons does this "big" event for women and it explains everything about football! You might wanna check that out! ;)