Trey Lewis "when training camp starts, I'm full throttle and there's no holding back."

gazoo

BLOGGER'S NOTE: Look for more on Trey Lewis and his rehab after two knee surgeries Wednesday on AtlantaFalcons.com.

Defensive tackle Trey Lewis missed the last six games of 2007 and all of 2008 with knee trouble. He tore an ACL against Tampa Bay on Nov. 18, 2007 and worked his way through two surgeries to repair the damage.

He was one of three previously-injured players declared ready for organized team activities Tuesday according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Now he's ready to pick up where he left off.

"During the season I went to every meeting," said Lewis, who started five games at nose tackle as a rookie in 2007. "I know the system well and it shouldn't be hard for me to get back into the swing of things. Obviously I have to go out there and see how it feels physically."

The sixth-round pick out of Washburn recorded 23 tackles and an interception in '07. He said he backed away from his 317-pound playing weight after surgery but has worked his way back to that size.

Lewis said coaches haven't identified which defensive tackle position he'll play through the offseason and into training camp but he expects to see time at both the nose and "under" tackle spots.

"It doesn't matter," he said. "As long as I'm on the ground with my hand in the dirt I'm good."

With the free agent departure of starting defensive tackle Grady Jackson Lewis is looking at an opportunity to get back into the rotation. The Falcons could make moves to upgrade or solidify the defensive line in the upcoming NFL Draft but what if Lewis continues to show the promise he did as a rookie?

Time will tell.

"As of right now I want to get through this offseason program and make sure everything is good," he said. "I want to get confident with my knee right now so, when training camp starts, I'm full throttle and there's no holding back."

Imagine if we drafted another stud UT in the 1st round to go with Babs and Trey. We could have a solid three man rotation at DT. Plus, we could get another pure NT later on in the draft if need be. We have a chance to do this thing the right way and fortify the middle of our defense. I have a feeling the team is satisfied with Decoud or has their eye on someone in the middle rounds. Maybe Derek Pegues out of Miss. State, an Ed Reed clone.

Imagine if we drafted another stud UT in the 1st round to go with Babs and Trey. We could have a solid three man rotation at DT. Plus, we could get another pure NT later on in the draft if need be. We have a chance to do this thing the right way and fortify the middle of our defense. I have a feeling the team is satisfied with Decoud or has their eye on someone in the middle rounds. Maybe Derek Pegues out of Miss. State, an Ed Reed clone.

I think that would be the route I would choose. A fresh rotation of DT's would help keep the pocket collapsing towards the QB, and will allow both Abe and JA/Davis to get a few more sacks. Too many times last year did I see a QB step up into the pocket to avoid a sack from a DE flying aroung the edge.

I think that would be the route I would choose. A fresh rotation of DT's would help keep the pocket collapsing towards the QB, and will allow both Abe and JA/Davis to get a few more sacks. Too many times last year did I see a QB step up into the pocket to avoid a sack from a DE flying aroung the edge.

Exactly! You noticed that too last year. Our ends would come off the edge, and the QB would step up in the pocket and our DTs were nowhere to be found. What if we had a Peria Jerry shooting the gap and flushing the QB to Abe, Davis, or Kroy. I believe that push up the middle will even help Jamal's game. A penetrating DT would put QBs right in his lap. In addition, a strong Dline would protect our Young secondary. I believe Coach Smith and TD see the importance of a nasty Defensive line.

Guest Gritz
Exactly! You noticed that too last year. Our ends would come off the edge, and the QB would step up in the pocket and our DTs were nowhere to be found. What if we had a Peria Jerry shooting the gap and flushing the QB to Abe, Davis, or Kroy. I believe that push up the middle will even help Jamal's game. A penetrating DT would put QBs right in his lap. In addition, a strong Dline would protect our Young secondary. I believe Coach Smith and TD see the importance of a nasty Defensive line.

Great great observations by you and usc........ ;)

A perfect example of how players rely on each other for the effectiveness of their own individual game.

Great great observations by you and usc........ ;)

A perfect example of how players rely on each other for the effectiveness of their own individual game.

UCSB, the Trojans can kiss my a**. ;)

im still in favor of trading for henderson.. with a mid round pick.. he would add a quality starter and we would never get someone as productive as him with that pick, but i to think if we are solid in the middle abe and JA98 could do their jobs better.

If we could get him for a 4th I would be all for it, but I would still like to see the position addressed early in the 2010 draft were that the case.

Imagine if we drafted another stud UT in the 1st round to go with Babs and Trey. We could have a solid three man rotation at DT. Plus, we could get another pure NT later on in the draft if need be. We have a chance to do this thing the right way and fortify the middle of our defense.

I think this is the future plan, but with JA98 as that other UT. If we went for another DE, Davis and that pick would rotate the LE position, moving JA98 inside to rotate with Babs. Add another NT to rotate with Trey to keep him fresh, and rotate Abe with Beirmann, and there you have it.

I know that there were some instances last year where Anderson moved inside, but why are so many people so certain that is where he is heading? Did I miss something? The guy would have to gain a solid 30lbs on that frame to take that position.

I've seen both Dimitroff and Smitty say in interviews that JA98's future is probably inside. That's where I'm getting it from. Plus, his skill-set is much more in line with an UT's skill-set than a DE's. He played there a bunch last season (he rotated there and was in the DT position on most passing downs).

Besides, he's already as heavy as Babs (just taller). If he adds another 30 lbs, he'd be a 6'6" 312 lbs monster (that's huge for a DT).

He'd realistically only have to add 10 lbs or so to be able to withstand the DT position on a regular basis (that'd put him at 292 lbs).

I know that there were some instances last year where Anderson moved inside, but why are so many people so certain that is where he is heading? Did I miss something? The guy would have to gain a solid 30lbs on that frame to take that position.

Thank You. The guy has done nothing at DE. What makes people think he will be a STUD at DT? What has he shown? This coaching staff is not going into this upcoming season relying on Jamal Anderson to contribute as a DT. Not going to happen. Now if he comes in and does well at DT in a pinch, that's gravy.

I've seen both Dimitroff and Smitty say in interviews that JA98's future is probably inside. That's where I'm getting it from. Plus, his skill-set is much more in line with an UT's skill-set than a DE's. He played there a bunch last season (he rotated there and was in the DT position on most passing downs).

Besides, he's already as heavy as Babs (just taller). If he adds another 30 lbs, he'd be a 6'6" 312 lbs monster (that's huge for a DT).

He'd realistically only have to add 10 lbs or so to be able to withstand the DT position on a regular basis (that'd put him at 292 lbs).

I wasn't aware he was that big. Well, I stand corrected. I still think he has one more year on the outside.

Thank You. The guy has done nothing at DE. What makes people think he will be a STUD at DT? What has he shown? This coaching staff is not going into this upcoming season relying on Jamal Anderson to contribute as a DT. Not going to happen. Now if he comes in and does well at DT in a pinch, that's gravy.

I don't think the argument is that he will flourish inside, just that he might not be such a waste of roster space there.

we could get a few good yrs from henderson and with a good draft this yr we could address any position next yr b/c we will not have a glaring need then. but in this draft id love to see a solid LB SS and CB come out with the addition of henderson. with henderson, it would take alot of lewis and allow him to stay healthy and keep JA98 at the right position DE. JA98 will make a great DE with a good supporting cast. he already has abe and babs is alittle above average and with a great NT i know our line would be great from left to right and our young secondary wouldnt have to be elite and can grow thru the yr without having to become the target to opposing Os

If he can push at DT why is it that people claim he gets beat at DE? the argument sounds weak. we will see him at DE this year. if he manage's 1 sack all season again he will be traded to some one who thinks that the right coaching will make him look like a #1 guy. we may get a 2nd or 3rd rounder package him in for someone we may want. but still i think we will see him at DE. but since we are looking at other DE's we may see a trade this year as his value is still quite high.

We just gave Babs a big deal to play UT, Anderson can rotate in at UT, and now Lewis is taking some practice snaps at UT. Why would we draft yet another in the first round? You don't draft a guy in the first to be a rotational player behind a guy who just got a huge deal. First round players should start right away or at least be the clear heir apparent to a starting job in the very near future. If we're going to draft a DT, my guess would be that we get a guy who can play NT and just sit there and eat blockers to free up the linebackers.

Nice to hear about Lewis; hopefully he can stay healthy and build on the promise he showed as a rook.

Direwolf