★ IMD Jacksonville Off-Season Review ★

296547.png IMD Jacksonville Off-Season Review 296547.png

KiiNGofLONDON

Where to begin? I took over the Jaguars midway through the off-season, just as the F/A had come to a close, and as GM's were preparing there draft options. I was lucky in that we didn't lose any players through F/A (none of my F/As were signed, so they all returned to my roster as per default in the IMD). I was taking over a roster with a lot of potential, but that had just come off a 5-11 season and had a lot of holes to fill. I knew that I simply couldn't fill every hole through the draft alone, and I was happy to accept that (I guess kind of like the Falcons this year). In a way it kind of made things easier and took a little pressure off. Anyway, here's how the off-season went:

Needs

The O-line was a mess. In terms of sacks allowed, Khalif Mitchell was the worst tackle in the league. Both the former starting guards, Vince Manuwai and Maurice Williams had been out all season, and with Manuwai coming off a torn ACL, he may not play to the same standard again. I knew this was going to have to be my primary objective: rebuild the O-line.

That wasn't the only need relating to Garrard's supporting acts. My WR corps needed help; I needed a downfield threat badly. I also needed a new starting CB with Florence already out the door, and a big run-stuffing DT with the Jaguars' Defense being 24th against the run.

Trades

As I mentioned, I had two guards coming off season-ending injuries. I decided I couldn't risk my O-line depending on both of them returning, so with Manuwai coming off the worse injury, I decided to trade him. In return I got Carlos Rogers, Washington's #1 CB, which filled a need and to be represented incredible value.

Vince Manuwai G for Carlos Rogers CB = Trade Grade
A*

Trade 2 involved a player I had on my roster who was simply in the wrong system. Quentin Groves is a 3-4 OLB who was stuck as a 4-3 DE at Jacksonville, and when I found a few GM's interested in him I was happy to let him go for a 3rd round pick, especially knowing there were a lot of 4-3 pass-rushers available in the mid-late rounds. The only drawback I saw in this trade was that he had been drafted in the middle of the 2nd round a year earlier, and thus we had lost a little value on him over the year, but I saw a lot of value in the extra 3rd round pick, so was happy to pull the trigger.

Quentin Groves DE/OLB for 85th Overall Pick (Round 3) = Trade Grade
B

The final trade I undertook was to look for a deep-threat WR through a trade. I targeted Sinorice Moss, who I find to be a very underrated WR in the NFL, and who may, in the aftermath of the Plaxico Burress affair, have a big year for the Giants in 09. He was a 2006 early-second round pick, and while he has yet to develop into an NFL starter, he still has so much potential. I was prepared to offer a 5th round for him, but I started by offering a 6th which Robb, the NYG GM, accepted. I was delighted with this pickup which took a lot of pressure off of me to find a suitable WR in the draft.

167th Overall Pick (Round 6) for Sinorice Moss = Trade Grade
A

Overall Trade Grade = A

The Draft

I needed a new starting left tackle so I could shift Barnes over to the right where he is a great fit as a mauler. The only place where I could get this would be in Round 1, so iI had to pull the trigger on Oher. I could have got him up to five picks later, so it could be considered a slight reach, but he fits in do well and definitely helps my fix my mangeld O-line.

8th Overall Pick: Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss (Round 1) = Draft Grade
B

I very nearly chose Brian Robiskie who I like a lot, but with one of my favourite prospects still, to my surprise, on the board, I had to go with the Duke. He would be able to come in and start as my right guard and complete my O-line transformation.

39th Overall Pick: Duke Robinson, G, Oklahoma (Round 2) = Draft Grade
A*

I had my eye on Juaquin Iglesias for this pick. I think he's going to be a very good WR in the NFL, and was delighted to see him still on the board ten minutes before I was OTC. Sadly, a GM who had missed an earlier pick picked him just before I went and did the same. I had to settle for the best DT on the board, but in hindsight that was probably the best thing for my team. He's a natural leader, a monster in the running game and does get the odd sack. Him and Henderson together as a pairing would inspire those around them on defense, and he holds value in the 3rd.

72nd Overall Pick: Dorell Scott, DT, Clemson (Round 3) = Draft Grade
A

I can't believe how underrated this guy is! I need a backup C to cover the oft-injured Meester when he's on the sidelines and to eventually become my starter, so this pick made a lot of sense. I truly believe Caldwell is the #2 C in this draft behind Mack, so I can't believe some mocks have him going on the 4th. Great value at the bottom of the 3rd if you ask me.

85th Overall Pick: Antoine Caldwell, C, Alabama (Round 3) = Draft Grade
A*

I still needed to replace Groves and find a back-up DE, so I took Phillip Hunt here. He's a very good pass-rusher and could add to an already very-strong DE rotation (Harvey, Hayward, Spicer and now Hunt). He may still have been on the board at my next pick, but I highly doubt it, and he was by far the best DE still on the board.

103rd Overall Pick: Phillip Hunt, DE, Houston (Round 4) = Draft Grade
B

6'1" WR who ran the second fastest combine 40-time (4.33), and jumped the 4th higest (10') and the 3rd longest (10'9"), is effective as a kick-returner, and has pretty solid hands. That's pretty good value to me. Yes, he's a project, but with Jerry Porter to learn from I think he should be fine, and is a bright prospect for a team needing as many options as possible at WR.

136th Overall Pick: Mike Wallace, WR, Ole Miss (Round 5) = Draft Grade
A

This guy simply shouldn't have still been on the board. I consider him a 6th round prospect, so I was delighted to snap him up. Can come in and sit behind Marcedes Lewis and hopefully develop into a starter eventually.

1st UDFA Pick: Davon Drew, TE, East Carolina = Draft Grade
A*

Probably my favourite UDFA prospect, and somebody I really want the Falcons to sign. No, he won't get drafted, but he's a big guy, a mauler, and most importantly a leader. He, like Wallace, is a project, but has everything an NFL RT needs. All he needs to do is sit behind someone with NFL experience, like Khalif Barnes, and improve his mechanics and technique. He was Tennessee's captain, and would definitely be a great guy to have to lift spirits.

2nd UDFA Pick: Ramon Foster, OT, Tennessee = Draft Grade
A

Overall Draft Grade = A

The Depth Chart

QB: David Garrard/Cleo Lemon

RB: Maurice Jones-Drew/Fred Taylor/Chauncey Washington

FB: Greg Jones/Montell Owens

WR1: Jerry Porter/Sinorice Moss/Dennis Northcut

WR2: Reggie Williams/Mike Walker/Mike Wallace

TE: Marcedes Lewis/Davon Drew

RT: Khalif Barnes/Ramon Foster

RG: Duke Robinson/Greg Norman

C: Brad Meester/Antoine Caldwell

LG: Maurice Williams/Uche Nwaneri

LT: Michael Oher/Tony Pashos

LE: Derrick Harvey/Phillip Hunt

DT1: John Henderson/Tony McDaniel/Atiyyah Ellison

DT2: Rob Meier/Dorell Scott/Derek Landri

RE: Reggie Hayward/Paul Spicer

WLB: Justin Durant/Clint Ingram

MLB: Mike Peterson/Thomas Williams

SLB: Daryl Smith/Brian Iwuh

CB1: Rashean Mathis/Omare Lowe/Brian Witherspoon

SS: Gerald Sensabaugh/Chad Nkang

FS: Reggie Nelson/Pierson Prioleau

CB2: Carlos Rogers/Brian Williams/William James

K: Josh Scobee

P: Adam Podlesh

KR: Maurice Jones-Drew

PR: Brian Witherspoon

So there you have it. I think I have turned the worst O-line in the league to potentially the best. I have given Garrard a few new options as receivers and I've added a brillian new starter to my secondary as well a couple of rotational players to my D-line. I think I have given the Jags a chance to push on for the play-offs, but more importantly, I have looked to the long-term and given them a stepping stone from which to build a fantastic team.

Overall Grade = A

The 2010 Draft

I though I might as well go and put together a mock 2010 draft. So here goes:

1. Eric Berry, SS, Tennessee.

He can come in and partner Reggie at safety. Could you imagine Mathis + Rogers + Nelson + Berry. That would be by far the best secondary in the league!

2. Brandon LaFell, WR, LSU.

Depending on how his senior year goes he'll be a 1st or 2nd rounder. He could be an incredible outlet for Garrard.

3. Dexter Davis, OLB, Arizona State.

A SLB who can get to the QB regularly is gonna be needed in '10. This guy sure knows how to do that (40 tackles, 15 TFL and 11 sacks last year)!

4. Tyrod Taylor, QB, Virginia Tech.

Garrard's successor. With a little grooming could be a franchise QB. T-Mobile could well be Michael Vick without the interceptions and the dog fighting.

5. Keenan Clayton, OLB, Oklahoma.

Why not take a WLB too? A SS convert who had 84 tackles, 10 TFL, 4.5 sacks, nine passes broken up and six forced fumbles last year.

6. Ekom Udofia, NT, Stanford.

Dorell's gonna need some help on those running downs when Henderson's hung up his boots.

7. T.J. Conley, P, Idaho.

This kid is a very good punter.

Thanks for reading!

:D

Very nicely put together.

I must say the Jaguars Offensive line could be one of the premier lines in the game; all young solid players. Your Defensive line is a solid rotation as well, both, interior and exterior.

I like how the defensive backfield is coming along; probably the weakest spot on the D, is at SS, but Eric Berry would compliment Reggie Nelson perfectly.

I really appreciate the write-up you did and all the work you did for the most disappointing 2008 team, Jacksonville Jaguars.

I'll get mines up, sometime this week.

I know i didn't take part in this but ill give my opinion. I think with this draft the Jags would have another tough season next year similar to last year but they'd be primed to break out in 2010. They would need to add a playmaker on offense and some more defensive help but the lines would be solid. Next year they can get their rookie struggles out of the way but that o-line will be rock solid in 2010. I guess what Im saying is you've set up a nice base to build upon so nice job

I thought I had signed brad meester through FA?

Did you? I wasn't aware of that. When I signed up I asked if any of my F/A's had been snagged and I was told nobody left. I guess this is a pretty big misunderstanding...

Very nicely put together.

I must say the Jaguars Offensive line could be one of the premier lines in the game; all young solid players. Your Defensive line is a solid rotation as well, both, interior and exterior.

I like how the defensive backfield is coming along; probably the weakest spot on the D, is at SS, but Eric Berry would compliment Reggie Nelson perfectly.

I really appreciate the write-up you did and all the work you did for the most disappointing 2008 team, Jacksonville Jaguars.

I'll get mines up, sometime this week.

Thanks man! Yeah Berry + Nelson would be monstrous together.

I know i didn't take part in this but ill give my opinion. I think with this draft the Jags would have another tough season next year similar to last year but they'd be primed to break out in 2010. They would need to add a playmaker on offense and some more defensive help but the lines would be solid. Next year they can get their rookie struggles out of the way but that o-line will be rock solid in 2010. I guess what Im saying is you've set up a nice base to build upon so nice job

Thanks. That's really what I was aiming for.

Me. I was hoping you guys would be arguing with all my grades, but I guess you all agree!

I can tell, You make it seem like you chisted (sp) me on our trade though. You sneaky man, J/k. I guess you did a good job, either way it was fun, i just wish i had joined when it first started. :D