A Health Question

Alright, so over the past 4 months or so, every two weeks (about), I've been coughing up this sand color object. They've been roughly the size of an eraser on the back of a pencil. They have the consistency of old play-doh, where if you roll it in between your fingers, it kind of crumbles, and it smells like ****. Anyone have any clue what this is, or what could cause this? Thanks.....

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't laugh, bad breath!!

Alright, so over the past 4 months or so, every two weeks (about), I've been coughing up this sand color object. They've been roughly the size of an eraser on the back of a pencil. They have the consistency of old play-doh, where if you roll it in between your fingers, it kind of crumbles, and it smells like ****. Anyone have any clue what this is, or what could cause this? Thanks.....

Im gonna guess one of 2 things

sinus infection (not likely)

chunks of stuff that get caught in the folds of your throat and your tonsils. in this case its not harmful (i dont think) and usually clears up in time. Mouthwash and lots gargling.. but i dont think there is a way to fix them...

Im gonna guess one of 2 things

sinus infection (not likely)

chunks of stuff that get caught in the folds of your throat and your tonsils. in this case its not harmful (i dont think) and usually clears up in time. Mouthwash and lots gargling.. but i dont think there is a way to fix them...

I like that 2nd answer, so I'm running with it!

Thats weird.

4 months is a while.

Yeah, it's not to often and it's usually only one piece.

On a side note: I just realized that when this started happening, it's also around the time I started smoking cigarettes...

On a side note: I just realized that when this started happening, it's also around the time I started smoking cigarettes...

those dont look like cigarettes to me, but its been a while :lol:

I smoked for about 10 years and that happened on occasion. Especially when I wasn't just smoking cigarettes. My advice would be to quit smoking cigs. The problem, although I don't know the medical term, is likely related to mucus forming around damage to your lungs. It's not like you are developing long term problems yet, but your lungs aren't used to that garbage. Quitting was the hardest thing I have ever done, but it was worth it.

dont smoke cigs bro. i used to smoke after smoking, and i would get the sand color stuff, but once I stop smoking cigs it went away. its because the stuff that cleans your throat of mucus are dying from the cigs smoke. usually the hairs in your esophagus will catch them, but with smoking the hairs die and they go in your lungs and its your lungs cleaning them out by coughing. thats what i think it is at least.

I smoked for about 10 years and that happened on occasion. Especially when I wasn't just smoking cigarettes. My advice would be to quit smoking cigs. The problem, although I don't know the medical term, is likely related to mucus forming around damage to your lungs. It's not like you are developing long term problems yet, but your lungs aren't used to that garbage. Quitting was the hardest thing I have ever done, but it was worth it.

i never understood why people got addicted to cigs or what was so satisfying, but maybe it was just me.

i never understood why people got addicted to cigs or what was so satisfying, but maybe it was just me.

I started when I was 12 or 13 and a little skateboard punk. It came with the territory. Funny thing is I was a state ranked Cross Country runner in HS, while smoking a pack a day. It didn't catch up to me until much much later. Quitting after 10 years took about 3 years of slip ups in my case.

That seems like the more likely answer to what is going on.

I started when I was 12 or 13 and a little skateboard punk. It came with the territory. Funny thing is I was a state ranked Cross Country runner in HS, while smoking a pack a day. It didn't catch up to me until much much later. Quitting after 10 years took about 3 years of slip ups in my case.

habits are hard to break and a pack a day is a lot.