Shuttle Launch pics

kicker23

We were a little delayed coming back from St. Martin Sunday, the 15th. The pilot had told us that there was an outside chance that we could see the launch from the right side of the plane if we were delayed enough. Because of bad weather in Atlanta, we were delayed even longer, and the pilot asked ATC to hang a right just past Orlando to give us a little more time to see the launch. We had an idea of about where the launch site was because they were flying planes above the site trying to guage wind direction, etc. I'm estimating that we were at least 75 miles away when we first saw it. We didn't get the best view because the plane wing was in the way, but these are the unedited shots I took with my camera. I was more concerned with getting the shutter speed right that I didn't even think to manually focus the lens, and the end result is that several shots aren't as crisp as they should be. The last few shots are after we had banked to the left, so it gives the impression that the shuttle isn't that much higher above us, but that's just an illusion. You can see the booster rockets had separated at that point. The object to the right is actually both rockets, and if you zoom close enough in the last shot you will see that the single blur is actually two.

shuttle1.jpg shuttle2.jpg shuttle3.jpg shuttle4.jpg shuttle6.jpg shuttle7.jpg

those are some pretty cool shots...I have a friend who grew up in Titusville...she they used to sit on their back porch and see the shuttle after it launched...they took some pictures...yours reminded me of theirs...I think you've got a pretty cool story to tell yours and Saturday's grandkids about someday... ;) :P

I always wanted to go watch a shuttle launch and plan on going to a shuttle launch in December, the launch is on my birthday. The last night before Discovery's last sunday Atlanta was suppose to see the SRB and the Orbiter. I'm in the process of uploading some pics that I took last september when both Orbiters were on the pad. One was Endeavor and the other one was Atlantis.

That is awesome. I always wanted to see the shuttle launch in person. I have seen it return to earth 25+ times. I lived 3 miles from Edwards Air Force base in CA and it would fly over my house. The sonic boom would shake the whole area when it re-entered the atmosphere. My father worked for Rockwell and helped assemble every shuttle so it always will be a special thing for me.

Awesome pictures! I imagine you got a better view from the airplane then you would from the ground.

I'm sure we did. The sun had already set on the ground, so at launch it was was fairly dark on the ground. You can see the vibrant colors from the shuttle's plume start just above the haze. I just wish I wasn't on the **** wing, or I could've seen the actual liftoff.

I was in Daytona Beach for my Spring break and I was lucky enough to get some pictures from a bridge!

Oh **** yes! Sweet! I read an article where the guys at Mission Control called it the most amazing launch they'd seen in years...I was curious to see what it looked like from the ground. Glad to see you guys had the same vibrant colors we did. Curious, but could you hear it from Daytona?

Here's a few pics from KSC last September. I had to use some digital zoom to get a close pic of the Shuttle

This is Space Shuttle Endeavor(Its about a mile from where I took these pics to the pad), its next launch is May 15. The Shuttle was moved to the pad earlier in the morning when I went.

P1030579.jpg

P1030572.jpg

P1030571.jpg

P1030580.jpg

Here's a pic of Shuttle Atlantis, its next launch is schedule for May 12, but may get delayed because of Endeavor or vice versa

P1030570-Copy.jpg

Its about 2 miles to the pad from where I took this