Sunday Draft Notes

atljbo

Friday's workout at Hampton had a number of defensive coaches and NFL decision makers on hand. John Dorsey of the Green Bay Packers was there as was Carolina Panther defensive coordinator Mike Trgovac. The New York Jets also had a number of people on hand. They were all there to watch Chris Baker.

Tampa Bay has already scheduled a time to bring Baker in for a visit. Carolina and the Jets are expected to follow suit. The Bucs also are bringing in Temple defensive tackle Terrance Knighton. The team is also set to workout Stillman defensive tackle Sammie Lee Hill, who will also be privately working out for the New York Jets and New England Patriots.

Finally, Tampa Bay has set a date to bring Ron Brace of Boston College to town. Brace will also visit the New Orleans Saints and have private workouts with the Denver Broncos and New England Patriots.

The New England Patriots will be one busy team. They are scheduled to have a private workout with San Jose State cornerback Christopher Owens and Texas A&M signal caller Stephen McGee.

McGee will also workout with the Carolina Panthers. McGee has received heavy interest from Dallas, Houston, Seattle, Denver and has also met with the Jaguars.

Jarron Gilbert is on the rise as we have documented. His workout last Friday will only create more interest in the San Jose State product. The New England Patriots are scheduled to privately work out Gilbert and bring him in for a visit. Gilbert will also be visiting the New Orleans Saints, Dallas Cowboys and Detroit Lions.

Philip Loadholt of Oklahoma is an offensive tackle on the rise. League sources we've spoken with think he could go as early as late in round two. Loadholt will be visiting the Minnesota Vikings. He also has private workouts with St. Louis Rams, Cleveland Browns and Atlanta Falcons.

His teammate, center Jon Cooper, has private workouts set up with St. Louis Rams, Cleveland Browns and Atlanta Falcons.

BYU center Dallas Reynolds is set to visit the Seattle Seahawks while West Virginia guard Greg Isdaner will visit with the Philadelphia Eagles. Central Washington quarterback Mike Reilly has a private workout scheduled with San Francisco.

While everyone focuses on Alabama offensive tackle Andre' Smith, don't forget about guard Marlon Davis, a sleeper we wrote about in August. The New York Jets and New York Giants have already conducted private workouts with Davis. There has also been heavy interest from the Oakland Raiders, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Tennessee Titans, Kansas City Chiefs, Jacksonville Jaguars and St. Louis Rams.

One sleeper name to remember is safety Mike Mitchell of Ohio. Mitchell has visits planned with the Miami Dolphins and workouts with the Chicago Bears and Cincinnati Bengals.

I was also told that we are going to workout Sammie Lee Hill

man... i just dont like the idea of us ending up with loadholt. unless we pick him in round 1 i dont think we will get him though, so that is at least encouraging.

and notice... a couple major 3-4 teams are talking to ron brace. ;)

and christopher owens is meeting with the patriots and i just drafted him for them in the IMD in the 7th (even though he should go in the 3rd or 4th). thats kinda cool. :P

-Mr. Offseason

you have to be a insider to see it...you have to pay $10 to become a member but Im cool with the former scout that runs the site so i get the info........ to see the link u have to be a member

http://www.tfydraft.com/

Thanks, I got a good bit of info last season from tfydraft when it was all free. I thought about joining and paying this year, but decided not to.

man... i just dont like the idea of us ending up with loadholt. unless we pick him in round 1 i dont think we will get him though, so that is at least encouraging.

and notice... a couple major 3-4 teams are talking to ron brace. ;)

and christopher owens is meeting with the patriots and i just drafted him for them in the IMD in the 7th (even though he should go in the 3rd or 4th). thats kinda cool. :P

-Mr. Offseason

i think Loadholdt will be a first rounder. He's size is phenomenal, he's strong and his feet (which folks criticize) are more than adequate as a RT. In fact, everyone points to him getting owned by Orapko--well who didn't? Got news for the analysts aint many OTs stopping healthy speed rushers like Abraham or Freeney or Orapko (on collegiate level) by himself.

From a runblocking perspective Loadholdt is an absolute mauler and thats what really works in our offense. I also like him because he can man the left side if need be and drafting him allows us to retain Clabo as a valuable backup at all positions.

i know everyone wants defense --and i do too--but i wouldn't be suprised in the least to see us grab a falling OT at the end of the first. Particularly when you consider that while Clabo is a great backup he's an adequate at best starter. Weiner retiring really shook up our rotation. Right now i have to think RT has to be a major target for our front office--got to protect Matty

Its been a long time since Atlanta had an OL with a first rounder (baker) , a second rounder (high one in blalock) and potentially another First round OT. Finally some attention paid in the right area

i think Loadholdt will be a first rounder. He's size is phenomenal, he's strong and his feet (which folks criticize) are more than adequate as a RT. In fact, everyone points to him getting owned by Orapko--well who didn't? Got news for the analysts aint many OTs stopping healthy speed rushers like Abraham or Freeney or Orapko (on collegiate level) by himself.

From a runblocking perspective Loadholdt is an absolute mauler and thats what really works in our offense. I also like him because he can man the left side if need be and drafting him allows us to retain Clabo as a valuable backup at all positions.

i know everyone wants defense --and i do too--but i wouldn't be suprised in the least to see us grab a falling OT at the end of the first. Particularly when you consider that while Clabo is a great backup he's an adequate at best starter. Weiner retiring really shook up our rotation. Right now i have to think RT has to be a major target for our front office--got to protect Matty

Its been a long time since Atlanta had an OL with a first rounder (baker) , a second rounder (high one in blalock) and potentially another First round OT. Finally some attention paid in the right area

Phil Loadholt is a 2nd round pick....i dont know what are in the 2nd round tho...... Mike Mayock has him as a 3rd roud pick.... its atleast 6 or 7 tackles rated ahead of him because scouts feel like Phil is a pure RT.

Isnt it crazy how Phil Loadholt and Duke Robinson was considered first round picks last season but neither will be 1st round picks this year.

i have loadholdt as my first pick in my mock. He'll be our first round pick

please no! youre killin me msalmon! :P

i dont think i can agree with you on this one. you are definitely right about his size and his strength but his feet are slow no matter where he is imo. they are painfully slow at LT but only look better at RT because he wont be facing speed rushers as often. he has pretty bad lateral agility and despite his great strength and size he too often leans into his blocks. so many times when i watched Oklahoma games live i would see him engage his man, move him a bit and lean into him. then when the defender would disengage loadholt would just fall to the ground and land on his stomach. that is a HUGE issue with me. not only does that mean he is using his great size and strength as a bit of a crutch it shows me that his technique is still fairly raw and needs development. im not sold on loadholt being ready to contribute right away because i think he is still raw.

im not expecting him to take orakpo 1 on 1, especially at LT, but i dont think i would be comfortable playing at LT at all if baker got hurt. he would get eaten ALIVE by guys like freeney or gaines adams (who he would face 2x a year), will smith and maybe peppers if he remains on the panthers. im not even sure im comfortable with him at RT.

i agree that i want a RT. it would be an absolute shame to not take an OT in this draft class. it is so deep and talented. however, i dont like loadholt as much as some other people seem to. one guy i really do like is fenuki tupou, ot, oregon. he seems like a really good RT candidate to me. he wouldnt be able to start right away, but with some coaching and technique refinement i feel like he would be a great asset at RT in 2010. if we dont get someone like eben britton in round 1 (im not even sure hes on our radar, but he might be) then i think tupou would be a good target in round 2. i say round 2 because i think he could go early round 3, but with another run on OT's likely i think some guys will go a bit higher than projected.

but im with on on the RT position, id like to upgrade it and make clabo depth. however... i just dont like loadholt much as a prospect to be honest.

-Mr. Offseason