Do we need a safety in the first few rounds?

I was just looking at the safety class for this year and to me it doesn't look like any safety prospect is better than Decoud. And if Coleman does play SS this year as many think he will Decoud could play the FS. I do think it couldn't hurt to draft a safety for depth somewhere later in the draft on the second day but I don't think we need a first day safety. Do you see anyone in the draft that could be better than Decoud?

Someone brought up the point about DeCoud being drafted in the 3rd round last year, then why would we take a safety in the 2-3rd round this year and expect them to be better then DeCoud? DeCoud already has 1 year of experience over any rookie we bring in. I still think we will draft a guy in the later rounds for depth behind DeCoud.

I like Decoud but I am not ready to crown him. We need depth at the position and I think competition between Decoud and another draft choice would benefit the team greatly. It could be a smoke screen but the team has had discussions with most of the premier safeties in this years draft. Maybe they are not as confident as we are in Decouds abilites.

There are guys with Higher Ceilings.... like William Moore and a few others.

He has shown the potential of becoming a GREAT safety. He can play the pass and run very well and is a leader. He has a MUCH higher ceiling than DeCoud does.

DeCoud doesn't have the "natural" ability like some of these other safeties. In other words, he is REALLY raw. He has all the speed, range, and tackling ability, but it all needs to be refined.

I have said it many times. If we draft a Safety this year, Coleman is probably not in our Long-term plans. The problem is finding somebody who can fill in next year at SS.

DeCoud will eventually take over, but I think it might take him one more year to be fully ready for the job.

He has shown the potential of becoming a GREAT safety. He can play the pass and run very well and is a leader. He has a MUCH higher ceiling than DeCoud does.

DeCoud doesn't have the "natural" ability like some of these other safeties. In other words, he is REALLY raw. He has all the speed, range, and tackling ability, but it all needs to be refined.

I have said it many times. If we draft a Safety this year, Coleman is probably not in our Long-term plans. The problem is finding somebody who can fill in next year at SS.

DeCoud will eventually take over, but I think it might take him one more year to be fully ready for the job.

I still dont think that we will take a FS, maybe a SS. Dont forget that if Decoud is not ready we can always play Hutchins at FS.

I still dont think that we will take a FS, maybe a SS. Dont forget that if Decoud is not ready we can always play Hutchins at FS.

I don't want Delmas or Rashad Johnson. The good thing about Moore is that he can come up in the box or play back in coverage.

Delmas or Rashad Johnson would give us 3 "natural" FS's. None would be comfortable if they had to come in the box and help in the run game and that would put us at a disadvantage if we are having trouble in a particular game.

Moore would give us the flexibility that we need out of a Safety. He handles the run the best and showed he can play deep coverage when he got many more opportunities in 07.

If a team is running us into the ground and we have Delmas, Coleman, and DeCoud, we will continue to have problems because None are really "fit" to do that job and will probably struggle if asked.

We need a "younger" version of Milloy who has shown the ability to cover..... That is William Moore. Best "all around" safety in this draft.

I don't want Delmas or Rashad Johnson. The good thing about Moore is that he can come up in the box or play back in coverage.

Delmas or Rashad Johnson would give us 3 "natural" FS's. None would be comfortable if they had to come in the box and help in the run game and that would put us at a disadvantage if we are having trouble in a particular game.

Moore would give us the flexibility that we need out of a Safety. He handles the run the best and showed he can play deep coverage when he got many more opportunities in 07.

If a team is running us into the ground and we have Delmas, Coleman, and DeCoud, we will continue to have problems because None are really "fit" to do that job and will probably struggle if asked.

We need a "younger" version of Milloy who has shown the ability to cover..... That is William Moore. Best "all around" safety in this draft.

I think that you have Delmas all wrong. IMO his best asset is his ability to help with run support, i just have a question mark about his coverage ability.

I think that you have Delmas all wrong. IMO his best asset is his ability to help with run support, i just have a question mark about his coverage ability.

Delmas has a very thin frame and although he showed what he can do in college, he might not be able to take the hits that he would get in the NFL.

I think he will have a BUNCH of injury problems if he was ever put in that position.

Moore, as long as he's not picked up in round 1, would be a great pickup I think. 08 was just a horrible year for him stats wise cause he was playing hurt so much.

and his role completely changed from more of a coverage safety to an "in the box" type. Either way, in two years, he has gotten different reputations when his game had to change.

In 07, when he got a chance to be out in coverage, he was labeled as a Coverage Safety with Great Ball skills.

In 08, he had to take on a different role and now he is getting labeled as a premier run stuffing type safety similar to Adrian Wilson.

Well, That just tells me that he can excel in both facets of the game and he showed his versatility. If we get him, he will be a STEAL!!!!

And yea he was playing hurt a lot too.

I think that Decoud has the natural ability, but he needs to refine his technique. The attributes you listed (speed, range, tackling ability) are what you like for in a safety, to me that is defined as natural ability. I dont know if any of the FS in this draft (except a Sean Smith or Malcon Jenkins) would be better than Decoud. I think that Decoud has a high ceiling especially if we can refine his technigue to seize that Natural ability that he has. He has the speed, range and tackling ability, and the fact the he is a very smart player. The more we talk about it the more that i like Decoud. :D

Someone brought up the point about DeCoud being drafted in the 3rd round last year, then why would we take a safety in the 2-3rd round this year and expect them to be better then DeCoud? DeCoud already has 1 year of experience over any rookie we bring in. I still think we will draft a guy in the later rounds for depth behind DeCoud.

That was me! :D:D

Decoud= Cover 2. Simple math.

It is a weak draft calss for safeties, unfortunately I've not seen enough of DeCoud to compare him to the crop of players avaliable. I think we'll draft a CB and move Hutchins to FS. If the organisation are serious in letting DeCoud compete for a starting job, I wouldn't expect us to draft a player to compete with him. Considering the fact that we hit a home run in the 3rd round with Douglas & Jackson also seems to be a jem, there's no reason to feel that DeCoud couldn't be a quality player for this franchise also. To draft another safety when we have Coleman entrenched a one spot would almost seem like a waste of a 3rd round pick last year.