Why does everyone think were going TE first round

Statman

As I was looking at mock drafts I asked myself one question. WHY DOES EVERYONE THINK WE ARE GOING TO TAKE A TE IN A HEAVY TE DRAFT CLASS FIRST ROUND. Pettigrew will not be drafted 24th because of three reasons, 1 Character issues, 2. Isnt a good blocker, 3. We can get a guy like Jared Cook 3rd-4th round.

Second, WE ARE NOT GOING DEFENSIVE END 1ST ROUND EITHER NOR DT. Were moving Anderson inside to DT as said by reporters close to the Falcons. We wouldn't have given Chauncey Davis 14 million dollars to be a second string guy, I mean why would we pay big money on a Michael Johnson (who I think is another Anderson) and pay him a lot, and we drafted Kroy Biermann last year who is like a Kiwanuka (can play OLB/DE). We are going either safety or defensive back 1st round, and unless a LB like a Brian Cushing, or Larry English fall to us I dont see us going backer.

24th pick - Delmas, or a CB

Isnt Darius Butler a CB? I just dont know about CB. We clearly need help at LB, DL and S but we can get by with our CBs. Plus I feel like CB is by nature a position doomed to failure. I mean its a high profile spot and guys make a ton of money there...and more often than not they're expected to be deion sanders and they're not. I'd actually feel the same way about TE as I do CB. We have other needs right now....

I think we can wait for later rounds to get james casey. I never liked the pick of pettigrew with 24. I would really like to see us get a good corner like Vonte Davis (if he falls that far, but thats a big IF) or sean smith (who can play CB/FS)

I also like Butler or Delmas so basically I would like to see us draft a DB.

I dont think we are going DB either or LB. WE need help on the DL, we need help with getting pressure on the QB. If we cant get pressure on the QB then a rookie CB or SAfety is not going help us as much as you seem to think. WE may get a CB in the 3rd round, but there is not much of a difference between the safeties in this draft class compared to Decoud.

Butler is a GREAT LOCK ON CORNER FROM UCONN WHO HAS A GREAT VERT. Remember Hutchins played both DB and FS so we could him to FS and Coleman to SS. I think Chevis isnt anything more than a nickel back, but I prob am wrong, it depends on whos there at 24. I think we'll go LB but not 1st round I think our linbackers will be Peterson, Lofton, and Nicholas. Yes we could go Peria Jerry DT from Ole miss but hes only 303 lbs and we dont need another Babineaux sized guy hopefull;y we get Ron Brace.

Look for us to go S 2nd round if Delmas isnt there I would love to have English, but whoever TD and Smitty take Im happy with look how effective everyone we drafted were.

This here is a prime example of the biggest mistake that people make when looking at personnel.

To win consistenly, you have to get the best players at EVERY position. The Falcons have SO many holes that they must take the best player (regardless of position) if they want to compete for many, many years.

Think of it this way: You've got no LB or DT on the team. It's your time to pick and Brian Cushing and Sammie Lee Hill are both on the board. Without question, DT is the more important position but you take Cushing because he's the much better player which also fills a need.

I really don't see why people can't understand this concept. It's fairly obvious to me.

As I was looking at mock drafts I asked myself one question. WHY DOES EVERYONE THINK WE ARE GOING TO TAKE A TE IN A HEAVY TE DRAFT CLASS FIRST ROUND. Pettigrew will not be drafted 24th because of three reasons, 1 Character issues, 2. Isnt a good blocker, 3. We can get a guy like Jared Cook 3rd-4th round.

Second, WE ARE NOT GOING DEFENSIVE END 1ST ROUND EITHER NOR DT. Were moving Anderson inside to DT as said by reporters close to the Falcons. We wouldn't have given Chauncey Davis 14 million dollars to be a second string guy, I mean why would we pay big money on a Michael Johnson (who I think is another Anderson) and pay him a lot, and we drafted Kroy Biermann last year who is like a Kiwanuka (can play OLB/DE). We are going either safety or defensive back 1st round, and unless a LB like a Brian Cushing, or Larry English fall to us I dont see us going backer.

24th pick - Delmas, or a CB

1. He doesn't have character issues. Try reading the whole story instead of taking pit&atlfan's opinion as your own.

2. He is a good blocker with good hands as well.

3. Read War **** Eagles post in this thread

4. Sorry but some of you "must draft defense" guys need to realize we are building for the long term, not just '09.

Personally I don't care which side of the ball we draft first as long as it is the BPA for us.

First off lets state the teams needs in no specific order. TE, DT, S, and CB maybe a LB but its not a must because we picked up Peterson in FA

SO based on our needs and the players most likely available at #24 the best player available will could very well be Pettigrew. Furthermore, I have to beleive that anyone in their right mind knows if we draft him - he will play in games - and he will be an immediate target for Ryan on offense.

Secondly, it is very likely that JA98 will play next to babs next year as a DT if not all of the time, most of the time. One could even argue that he had his best games last year when he played that position. Given that fact DE may be a logical position for us to draft for and Connor Barwin a OLB/DE could very well be around for us to pick up in the second round.

Our starting SS next year could already be on our team, TD drafted DeCoud in the third round last year and I personally thought he played well when he was in the game. I dont think the saftey class this year is great, there are a few good players but none good enough to take the job from Decoud. SO if we are drafting a back up get a project player in the third or fourth round.

As for cornerback apparently the staff have been impressed with Asher Allen of UGA and we could very well get him in the 3rd fourth or even 5th round.

Any LB sould be 5th or 6th round pick UNLESS we decide to get a Saftey in the 5th or 6th then pick up a decent LB in the 3rd or 4th round and there will be decent LB's out there

Why waste time guessing who we're picking? Last year, we all thought we'd get a NT, QB and load up on the OL. We got the QB and one OL in the entire draft. TD knows what's developing and he's shown to be willing to take the best player available as opposed to picking for need. I think we're still two drafts away from seeing his whole vision for the team and I don't think he's pressed to hit a home run on this draft or this free agency period. But that's cool IMHO.