Do We Really Need A LB AT #24?

quaz99

I could be wrong, but just hear me out. We brought in Mike Peterson. We have Lofton who is solid at MLB. Nicholas and Wire are set to compete for the third spot. If we pick a LB at #24 it will most likely be Lauranitis(if he's still available), Larry English, or Clay Matthews. With Nicholas and Wire in the mix do we really need to spend that first pick on a LB? We DESPERATELY need a DT and depth at corner so maybe looking in that direction may be the smartest thing to do. I don't know, what do you think?

post-543937-1237840371_thumb.jpg

I could be wrong, but just hear me out. We brought in Mike Peterson. We have Lofton who is solid at MLB. Nicholas and Wire are set to compete for the third spot. If we pick a LB at #24 it will most likely be Lauranitis(if he's still available), Larry English, or Clay Matthews. With Nicholas and Wire in the mix do we really need to spend that first pick on a LB? We DESPERATELY need a DT and depth at corner so maybe looking in that direction may be the smartest thing to do. I don't know, what do you think?

I do agree that we dont need to go LB in the first, but if we do pick English it will be as a DE not a LB. I think that we already have our starters on the team with Peterson, LOfton, and Nicholas.

I agree that Linebacker is probably not as bad as we thought. With Peterson and Lofton in there, we are good. And I think Nicholas can ball. I say we go DE/DT or TE (if whatshisface is available). If the value isn't there trade down and pick up Delmas.

I say we need a LB and a DT evenly. Nicholas and Lewis have both proven the same amount, very little. Wire played well the end of the season and I would have loved him and Boley to share time at WLB, but if he were win the spot outright, i'd be concerned slighty. I think either a DT or a LB would be good there. DE, on the other hand, **** no. Davis is a good DE, and Anderson may need just one more year, but we don't have to address that yet. I think safety is more pressing need than DE right nw.

I say we need a LB and a DT evenly. Nicholas and Lewis have both proven the same amount, very little. Wire played well the end of the season and I would have loved him and Boley to share time at WLB, but if he were win the spot outright, i'd be concerned slighty. I think either a DT or a LB would be good there. DE, on the other hand, **** no. Davis is a good DE, and Anderson may need just one more year, but we don't have to address that yet. I think safety is more pressing need than DE right nw.

I think that we do need to address DE, we need to generate more of a pass rush than we had last year. If we dont draft a DE, will will have the same players that we had last year, so we may not see anything different regarding our pass rush. When/IF teams realize that all they have to is double ABe then there goes at least 50-60% of our pass rush.

We have ONE good linebacker in Curtis Lofton. We have an old guy who's slowing down at WLB (sounds like Keith Brooking, except Peterson has never actually played the position), and we've got Coy Wire competing for a starting spot at SLB (excuse me if that doesn't get me excited).

Yes, I think we need LB help just as bad as we need help at CB/S/DL. I think the value will be there at LB (Clint Sintim is quickly becoming the most underrated prospect of this draft), but I wouldn't be opposed to a Louis Delmas or Alphonso Smith.

I do agree that we dont need to go LB in the first, but if we do pick English it will be as a DE not a LB. I think that we already have our starters on the team with Peterson, LOfton, and Nicholas.

Jaymadd1, care to explain why you would go DE in the first?

We have ONE good linebacker in Curtis Lofton. We have an old guy who's slowing down at WLB (sounds like Keith Brooking, except Peterson has never actually played the position), and we've got Coy Wire competing for a starting spot at SLB (excuse me if that doesn't get me excited).

Yes, I think we need LB help just as bad as we need help at CB/S/DL. I think the value will be there at LB (Clint Sintim is quickly becoming the most underrated prospect of this draft), but I wouldn't be opposed to a Louis Delmas or Alphonso Smith.

Mike Peterson is older, but he isn't bad. He is a definate upgrade over Brooking, and he has played OLB. Our FO seems high on Stephen Nicholas as well.

SLB - Peterson/Nicholas

MLB - Lofton

WLB - Nicholas/Peterson

Doesn't sound bad to me, IMO.

We don't "need" a LB at 24 in the sense that we're screwed if we don't get one there, but it certainly is one of the more pressing needs on the roster...

We may not "need" a LB at 24 and I may not "need" a car (I can ride the bus and it will get me from A to B ) but it is nice to have both a car and a LB at 24. ^_^

Jaymadd1, care to explain why you would go DE in the first?

Abe accounted for 47% of our pass rush last season. He will be 30 at the beginning of the season. There are some talented DE speed rushers that could develop into everydown DE in the earlier rounds of the draft. Abe will be getting double teamed more soo than last year, and what happens if ABe gets hurt. We need to get some pressure up the middle and from the other side of ABe. The JA98 experiment is on its last leg, so if it doesnt pan out what will we do, live with another 2 sack season (I hope not). It is like we have all of our EGGs in one basket with Abe. Plus you can never have enough pass rushers. I also think that we have alot of solid players on our roster right now that would fill some of the holes that we have, maybe the FO feels the same way which would explain why we werent active in FA.

Just don't reach, that's all I ask.

I don't think the Falcons are in a position to where they HAVE to draft a starter at #24. Last year TD showed he understood where the weak area's on the team were and he didn't reach to fill them (even if the talking heads blasted T-Rex)

That's why I keep bringing up Alex Mack as a legit possibility at #24. He may be the highest rated player on the board at #24. Now I'm all for Cushing if he's there but I don't want any 3-4 OLB tweeners, or a slow footed MLB

Secondary. That is what we need to fill in the 1st round. There are an abundance of TE's, and DE's that can be had 2-4 rounds.

There are no secondary players in the 1st round that are going to start for us. We already have the players who will start for us on the roster. More pressing needs are on the D-line and at WLB.

and we don't for WLB???

I like Nicholas and I think he's going to be a starter for some time...

I don't. He's a good backup. There are LB's that will be on the board at 24 that would start over him. Heck there are LB's in the 2nd that would start over him. This is a good linebacker class, not a good secondary class. Thomas DeCoud is better than any of the safeties on the board for us in this draft, and Chevis Jackson and Chris Houston will start at corner.

I don't. He's a good backup. There are LB's that will be on the board at 24 that would start over him. Heck there are LB's in the 2nd that would start over him. This is a good linebacker class, not a good secondary class. Thomas DeCoud is better than any of the safeties on the board for us in this draft, and Chevis Jackson and Chris Houston will start at corner.

I dont know if a rookie would start over Nicholas at this point especially since the coaching staff seems to be pretty high on him. They let go of brooking and informed him that he would be a backup based on what we have on our roster now, i dont think it was based on us getting a draft pick, the same thing goes for Grady Jackson - Lewis, Milloy -Coleman, DEcoud.

I dont know if a rookie would start over Nicholas at this point especially since the coaching staff seems to be pretty high on him. They let go of brooking and informed him that he would be a backup based on what we have on our roster now, i dont think it was based on us getting a draft pick, the same thing goes for Grady Jackson - Lewis, Milloy -Coleman, DEcoud.

I don't think they're all that high on him. I think everyone around here took the comment that he would be given a chance to compete for the starters job to mean that he had the inside track, and I don't think that's true at all. There are some VERY good linebackers in this draft, and I think a first round LB would start ahead of Nicholas at WLB, if not on day 1 then by midseason.