Falcons mock draft

Zanka

Draft

Round 1: Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State – Brandon Pettigrew is a pick that some will like and some will hate but I have picked him because I feel that we have more defensive starters on our roster than we think. Pettigrew will be nice to have next year both blocking and receving. He has great hands, uses his size to create matchup problems, he quickly turns up the field when he gets the ball and is very tough to bring down when is given the ball. Only thing he lacks is elite speed for a TE. With him in on the field, the other team can never tell if it is a run or a pass with his great ability to both block and receive and he will make our offense better than it already is

Round 2: Lawrence Sidibury Jr, DE, Richmond – Some might say that this is a reach in the 2nd round but I have heard that he is moving up a lot of teams draft boards very fast and that he propably won’t be there for our 3rd round pick. He is a great pass rusher with great athleticism for a DE. He has a great spin move and reminds me a lot of John Abraham with his burst of the snap and way to get to the passer. When he gets to the QB he is also a hard hitter that will leave his mark after a tackle. He is also avaiable to make a tackle in the open field if it gets to that point. A great situational pass rusher for us

Round 3: Marcus Freeman, OLB, Ohio State – One of my favorite prospects after looking at some tape with this kid. He has got great speed for a LB. He has got nice instincts. He is a great cover LB and also a very reliabe tackler in the open field. He has shown that when gets his hands on the ball carrier he can drive the ball carrier to the ground hard. He can read the QBs eyes very nicely and he can also shed blockers fine but that may need some work. Besides that I think that he can groom behind Mike Peterson for a year or two. Then he can step in and IMO be a great LB duo with Nicholas and Lofton. Hopefully he is still there in the 3rd for our pick

Round 4: Brandon Underwood, CB, Cincinnati – A very versatile DB who can play the nickel, safety position but his main position is still CB. Underwood is big and athletic. Also a reliabe tackler in the open field. He can while covering quickly read the QBs eyes and he also has great range in coverage. When h egets the ball in his hands he has showed that he can make big things happen. He is willing to sacfrifise himself to prevent the big plays from happening and he is also a hustler on special teams with nice moves to get down the field. He has also shown that he can blitz from the edge and get to the QB. IMO he can be a steal for us in the 4th

Round 5: Sammie Lee Hill, DT, Stillman – IMO he could be a steal here in the late 5th round. He is a big guy with 329 pounds and he is still very athletic. He also has great agility. He actually played some DE in college which really shows how athletic he is for a guy his size. He is a stud against the run and can quickly come in and close the gaps. With his strenght to bull rush the opponent he can create pressure to the QB by closing his pocket that way. He also attracted double coverage in college. If we can train him I think he can end up being a really good player in the NFL on the DT position.

Round 5: Frantz Joseph, MLB, Florida Atlantic – Read a thread about this guy and heard a lot of good things about him. Then I saw some tape with him and got really impressed about his work ethic and his style of playing. He loves to make the tackle and he sure also can make it. He can make a big hit if given the chance. And he has also shown that he has the speed to drop back into coverage and do it well. He also sacrifices himself a lot to avoid the big play and break up the pass. IMO he can also come in and be a great special teams player for us, and great depth behind Curtis Lofton

Round 6: CJ Davis, OL, Pittsburgh – Not much to say about this pick besides that it is a pick for depth to our offensive line. Davis is a tough kid with a nice motor and he keeps on fighting no matter what is standing on the scoreboard. He is best at run blocking but he has shown that he can pass protect nicely. He will add nice depth behind Clabo on the RT position

UDFA

Kevin Akins, S, Boston College – Nice instincts and ball skills

Marcus Thigpen, KR, Indiana – Maybe the best KR coming out of college

Depth Chart

QB: Ryan-Redman-Shockley

RB: Turner-Norwood-Brown

FB: Mughelli-Snelling

TE: Pettigrew-Peele-Hartsock

WR: White-Robinson

WR: Jenkins-Douglas-Finneran

LT: Baker-Svitek

LG: Blalock-Ojinaka

C: McClure-Romberg

RG: Dahl-Wilkerson

RT: Clabo-Davis

RE: Abraham-Biermann

DT: Lewis-Hill-Jefferson

DT: Babineaux-Moorehead

LE: Anderson-Davis-Sidibury

SLB: Peterson-Freeman-Wire

MLB: Lofton-Joseph-Gilbert

WLB: Nicholas-James

RCB: Houston-Hutcins

LCB: Jackson-Underwood

SS: Coleman-Fudge

FS: DeCoud-Akins

K: Elam

P: Koenen

KO: Koenen

R: Thigpen

Notes

Offense

Offensive line - We don't change anything in the starting o-line but we add some much needed depth in Svitek, Romberg and Davis

Quarterback - We don't change anything cause here are we good

Runningback - We don't change anything cause here are we good

Fullback - We don't change anything cause here are we good

Tight end - Here we see a significant change in Pettigrew coming in and getting the starting job. Pettigrew will add a great threat both receiving and blocking. The other team won't know when he is in if it is a pass or a run

Wide receiver - We don't change anything cause here are we good

Overall - We only change one thing in the starting line-up by adding Pettigrew and besides that we add some nice depth yo our o-line

Defense

Defensive line - We are going to be rotating a lot on the defensive line. On normal downs Anderson and Davis will share the snaps but on passing downs they will be replaced by newly aquired Lawrence Sidibury because of his great ability to rush the QB. On the inside Hill and Lewis will be in on running downs and besides that the starters will be Lewis and Babs

Linebackers - Here we are now set for some years if Stephen Nicholas succeeds at WLB. Freeman will groom behind Mike Peterson and after Peterson he will step in at SLB

Secondary - Our secondary is not set for years but at least for this year. Houston and Jackson is the future at CB in my opinion and with Underwood playing NB. Hutchins is a solid back-up. Our S positions still leaves doubt. DeCoud will have this year to show that he is the real deal or else we will find a replacement in next years draft where there is a nice S class. Coleman is IMO still only a short term solution and we are still looking for our future SS.

Overall - We will be rotating a lot on defense as Smitty likes it. Our defensive line is IMO very nice with the new rotations and it will make our secondary look a bit better than it is

That is it. Please read the notes before you judge cause they are kinda important to the starting lineup especially on defense

Please critisize so I can improve the next or praise if you like it :)

Don't think Freeman and Hill will slide that far and Sidbury is too much like JA98, a one move pass rusher

Agree with you that Freeman propably won't be there but not on the Hill thing. I think it is possible that Hill will still be there for our first 5th round pick. But besides the little bet on Freeman then what do you think about the other picks

Your draft presents one of the major problems I have with going DE in the early rounds. I assume you like Biermann and Davis so that would mean Psycho Sid would be third string. Who ever we get with those first two picks will have to push for the starting job or at least be second string. Maybe you could go CB in the second and DE in the fourth. I would be happy with your draft and I like Sidbury but thats the only problem I have with it. The C. Davis resigning changed my thoughts on wanting an early DE. We have a little dead weight at that positon that will have to be moved if we bring in Sidbury. Otherwise solid draft.

Your draft presents one of the major problems I have with going DE in the early rounds. I assume you like Biermann and Davis so that would mean Psycho Sid would be third string. Who ever we get with those first two picks will have to push for the starting job or at least be second string. Maybe you could go CB in the second and DE in the fourth. I would be happy with your draft and I like Sidbury but thats the only problem I have with it. The C. Davis resigning changed my thoughts on wanting an early DE. We have a little dead weight at that positon that will have to be moved if we bring in Sidbury. Otherwise solid draft.

sidbury would come in on passing downs along with Abe to help get pressure on the QB. DAvis/Anderson would play on running downs. If Abe gets hurt or Anderson continues on his current path then we will be in trouble. If we had adequate players at DE, then why would we bring in nicholas on passing downs, IMO that means we need help. AFter the 2nd round the quality of pass rushing dE falls off significantly.

sidbury would come in on passing downs along with Abe to help get pressure on the QB. DAvis/Anderson would play on running downs. If Abe gets hurt or Anderson continues on his current path then we will be in trouble. If we had adequate players at DE, then why would we bring in nicholas on passing downs, IMO that means we need help. AFter the 2nd round the quality of pass rushing dE falls off significantly.

It could work. So Biermann can go or maybe practice sqaud. In that case Sid would be Abes back-up and I would be cool with that.

You'd expect a player to dominate more playing at Richmond. Sidbury is all speed, but doesn't use his hands well and gets shoved out of running lanes.

At this point it is not about Running Lanes, he would be used strictly has a pass rusher his first year. OUr coaching staff can help teach him how to play with more leverage in run support, plus he has long arms.

Agree with you that Freeman propably won't be there but not on the Hill thing. I think it is possible that Hill will still be there for our first 5th round pick. But besides the little bet on Freeman then what do you think about the other picks

Like Pettigrew, Freeman and Hill, but think we'd be very lucky to get all 3. The DE/34-OLB class is very deep and should provide pass rushers in the middle of the draft, so we can wait.

At this point it is not about Running Lanes, he would be used strictly has a pass rusher his first year. OUr coaching staff can help teach him how to play with more leverage in run support, plus he has long arms.

You want to spend a 2nd on a situational pass rusher when we just signed Davis to 4 more years and drafted Biermann last year? Where are all these guys gonna play?