Derek Lee says MLB officials were disrespectful to him

Unknøwn

MESA, Ariz. — Derrek Lee said Major League Baseball officials were "disrespectful" for pressuring him to replace Kevin Youkilis on Team USA's roster for the World Baseball Classic.

After saying last week that he wouldn't be able to play in the WBC, Lee said: "They started calling me. They needed a first baseman. But I couldn't go, not being 100 percent."

Lee returned Sunday after missing the last five games because of his injured right quadriceps.

"I thought it was disrespectful, to be truthful," he said. "They knew I wasn't playing here [in camp]. How do they expect me to get off the trainer's table and start playing there?

"At the same time, you understand they're trying to win, and I was the guy that was on the [provisional] roster, so I guess they figured they'd give it a shot. If I felt better, it'd be a different story, but I don't think it would be fair to miss a week here and go play for them. Obviously, everyone knows it's not a serious injury, but it was enough to keep me out of games."

I dont think it was that they asked I think it was that he didnt want to because of the injury and they were pressuring him to play through it

Well, that is annoying but, I wouldn't say they were disrespecting him. If anything he should take it as a compliment that they would want him to play that badly and that they think he is god enough to produce even playing through an injury.