Microsoft's Reply to February NPD Numbers

http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/Ek...pElITOsQqLD.php

Microsoft's Reply to February NPD Numbers

>> From the press release:

February NPD results are in and Xbox 360 highlights include:

· Xbox 360 system sales hit 391,000, up 53 percent from a year earlier, as the best value in the industry continues to win over consumers

· Xbox 360 claimed four of the top 10 video game titles in February

· "Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and Damned" set a sales record for Xbox LIVE

Xbox 360 sustained its record-setting pace this year as U.S. retail sales jumped 53 percent in February from a year earlier to hit 391,000 units. With Xbox 360 starting at just $199, the system offers a compelling buy for consumers looking to make their entertainment dollars go further. Xbox 360 is home to the most top-rated games of any current-generation console, with 135 titles earning a score of 80 or above on Metacritic, versus 94 for PlayStation 3 and 43 for Wii (Metacritic data). Xbox 360 also features a vibrant online community with Xbox LIVE and takes entertainment beyond games with more than 30,000 pieces of content available for download, including more than 12,000 movies and TV shows for instant watch through a partnership with Netflix.

Games on Xbox 360

Xbox 360 claimed four of February's top 10 console games, including "Street Fighter IV," "Call of Duty: World at War," "FEAR 2," "Skate 2." (February NPD data). Each game was from a different publisher, underscoring Xbox 360's role as a driver of the entire industry. Sales of third-party games on Xbox 360 hit $162 million in February, more than either competitor (February NPD data). Xbox 360 owners continue to buy more games than owners of other systems, having bought an average of 8.2 titles each.

"The Lost and Damned" Sets Xbox LIVE Sales Record

On February 17, "The Lost and Damned," the first highly anticipated Game Add-on for "Grand Theft Auto IV," was released exclusively on Xbox LIVE. This all-new chapter in the "GTA IV" world set a record for first-day sales on Xbox LIVE and highlighted Xbox 360 as the only console where you can play additional episodes of the game.

Setting the Stage for Sustained Growth

Xbox 360 rolled out more hits in March with the release of "Halo Wars," which put a strategic twist on one of the best-selling franchises of all time. As announced earlier today, sales of "Halo Wars" have already hit 1 million copies worldwide. Also, Capcom's globally popular "Resident Evil" franchise came to Xbox 360 for the first time with the release of "Resident Evil 5" on March 13. Xbox and Capcom further stoked fan enthusiasm by releasing a red "RE5" limited edition Xbox 360 console.

Consumers Get More Entertainment on Xbox LIVE

· Xbox 360 is the leading console for online play and is used by fully half of people who play console games online(NPD Online Gaming 2009)

· Xbox 360 owners spend an average of 8 hours per week playing games online, more than any other platform, including the PC (NPD Online Gaming 2009)

· The top five movie downloads on Xbox LIVE in February included "Body of Lies," "College," "Eagle Eye," "My Best Friend's Girl," and "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" (Microsoft internal data)

· Game Add-ons give Xbox 360 owners the ability to extend the life of their favorite games, with examples ranging from the wildly successful "The Lost and Damned" for "Grand Theft Auto IV," to extra tracks for music games.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Microsoft has done everything right this generation, outside of the faulty hardware. I can see why so many people favor the 360. There's a lot to like about the XBox 360...

I was surprised to see that PS3 had that many games rated over, considering that they got in the game a year after Microsoft. That shows that they are putting out some great games too. They just need to lower the console prices...

Microsoft has done everything right this generation, outside of the faulty hardware. I can see why so many people favor the 360. There's a lot to like about the XBox 360...

I was surprised to see that PS3 had that many games rated over, considering that they got in the game a year after Microsoft. That shows that they are putting out some great games too. They just need to lower the console prices...

He posted about Microsoft speaking about itself. It's company PR.

If he's going to post company PR, he should post all three companies' PR. This thread isn't just biased, but it's stupid. Bias isn't bad, as we all have opinions. When you inject stupidity in there, like Greg has done here, that's when it's bad.

If he's going to post company PR, he should post all three companies' PR. This thread isn't just biased, but it's stupid. Bias isn't bad, as we all have opinions. When you inject stupidity in there, like Greg has done here, that's when it's bad.

there is nothing wrong with posting a company PR if you disclose it as that, which he did. why should he post all three companies PR? where does it say anywhere he has to be objective?

I was surprised at that too, I was in Game stop the other day because of their buy 2 get one free used sale and I was trying so hard to find a pS3 game to buy, the guys in the store were heckling me lol, (I know them all) and I picked out the Orange Box and was told to put it back 'cause the PS3 ver was way too buggy. So i ended up getting Strangle Hold Spec Ed. glad I got it too it came with the Hard Boiled blu ray :) for only 17 bucks, so yeah there are some good deals out there, ya just gotta hunt. Sony is just slowly killing itself with hardware pricing. Its a nice piece of hardware don't get me wrong, Sony just doesn't have the content to sell at that price point

This just goes to show that Escapism is huge during tough economic times. People will spend money on anything that lets them escape reality.

Quite correct, the entertainment industry ALWAYS does well in difficult times, whether it be wartime or a recession

All I saw was Microsoft's I have not seen anything this new from Sony or Nintendo yet, feel free to post 'em if you see 'em bro

All I saw was Microsoft's I have not seen anything this new from Sony or Nintendo yet, feel free to post 'em if you see 'em bro

Why would I?

It's company PR. It's spin to favor a company. It's not really something worth posting. I'm just saying, if you choose to post spin, might as well post the spin from all sides.

By the way, Kotaku posts all three companies' post-NPD PR on their website. Kotaku.com.

Why would I?

It's company PR. It's spin to favor a company. It's not really something worth posting. I'm just saying, if you choose to post spin, might as well post the spin from all sides.

By the way, Kotaku posts all three companies' post-NPD PR on their website. Kotaku.com.

Or he could just post Microsoft's, as it clearly states in the title.

Like Sony.

Is there something wrong with bashing a company for intentionally releasing a flawed product then lying about it for a year?

I love the first Xbox. I have almost every console released since the NES. It's not about company fervor. I will constantly bash Microsoft for their filthy and unethical behavior with the X360. It's backwards to support their behavior.

Be logical for a second.

Is there something wrong with bashing a company for intentionally releasing a flawed product then lying about it for a year?

I love the first Xbox. I have almost every console released since the NES. It's not about company fervor. I will constantly bash Microsoft for their filthy and unethical behavior with the X360. It's backwards to support their behavior.

Be logical for a second.

So it's ok to bash a company, but not to post an article that's in their favor? Right.....

So it's ok to bash a company, but not to post an article that's in their favor? Right.....

What? I'm not posting Sony PR. I never have.

I bash Microsoft for their unethical behavior. Why would I post their spin against that?

If I were to post Sony spin against MS, which I never have, I'd post MS' response. If I post Sony's NPD spin, I'd post MS'.

well if you did the latter it would be considered being biased

I have and love the original Xbox. It's not about bias. It's about bashing a company for intentionally releasing a flawed product then lying about it for a year.

Answer this question. Do you not think a company who does that should be harshly and constantly criticized?

I have and love the original Xbox. It's not about bias. It's about bashing a company for intentionally releasing a flawed product then lying about it for a year.

Answer this question. Do you not think a company who does that should be harshly and constantly criticized?

sure, but why do you do it in this forum? why not criticize them in a forum that they might actually hear the criticism? what on earth do you hope to accomplish by bashing MS in this forum?

Dear 40 year old virgin,

I think you are a troll. I think that there is nothing wrong with this article being posted. I think there would be nothing wrong with the same thing being done for Sony or Nintendo. I think the only thing wrong is your compulsion to repeat the same sentence over and over again. Do you have a weird form of turrets syndrome? If so, I apologize for being so rude to you in light of your disorder.

Best regards,

UCSB

And they have a lot to be happy about.

It's okay Wom, I'm partial to Sony too, but there is room for more than one great game console...