Falcons Schedule Private Workout with Alex Mack

sporkdevil

Falcons | Showing interest in Mack

Mon, 23 Mar 2009 10:58:31 -0700

Ed Thompson, of Scout.com, reports the Atlanta Falcons have scheduled a private workout with University of California C Alex Mack April 3.

Gimme a minute to find the scout.com report...

Alex Mack is packing his bags for a pair of visits to AFC North teams this week. According to a source, the former Cal center will spend some time in Baltimore visiting with the Ravens and will also be making a stop in Cleveland to visit with the Browns.

The interesting dynamic at play is that unless the Browns plan to make Mack, Scout.com's top-rated center in this draft class, the No. 5 pick overall, the Ravens could certainly pluck him off the board at No. 26 before Cleveland gets another shot at selecting him.

Another one of the many teams who have been showing interest in Mack is the Atlanta Falcons, who could snag the 6-foot-4, 307-pound center before the Ravens at No. 24 overall. The Falcons are scheduled to work him out on campus on April 3.

All three teams would benefit from Mack's football intelligence and aggressive, but technically-sound style of play. He would be a real asset to any team's offensive line, making the needed adjustments to help protect a young quarterback like Joe Flacco, Brady Quinn or Matt Ryan.

"I think I’m known for being an aggressive offensive lineman. I think I bring a lot to the table as far as finishing plays, playing to the whistle," Mack told the media at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. "In my play, I have a lot of offer as far as attitude on the offensive line."

Mack was the 2008 winner of the Draddy Award, often referred to as the "Academic Heisman" that is awarded to the college football player who excels on the field, in the classroom and in serving the community.

http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=2&c=849698

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

C is not 'pressing' because of the Romberg signing, but it is still necessary to get a top-notch one in the next year or two. i would only be upset with this pick because it means we will miss out on Barwin. but Mack could very well be the best value at 24 if we cant trade out.

C is not 'pressing' because of the Romberg signing, but it is still necessary to get a top-notch one in the next year or two. i would only be upset with this pick because it means we will miss out on Barwin. but Mack could very well be the best value at 24 if we cant trade out.

No way the Falcons select a C with the 24th pick.........I don't care whose on the board!

I wouldnt be opposed to it at all....ya can never have enough good OL....and McClure isnt exactly a spring chicken.

I have no problem fortifying positions before they become problematic, and I'm sure most people would agree that this draft wont shore up all of the deemed weaknesses on this team...because no draft ever does.

I wouldnt be opposed to it at all....ya can never have enough good OL....and McClure isnt exactly a spring chicken.

I have no problem fortifying positions before they become problematic, and I'm sure most people would agree that this draft wont shore up all of the deemed weaknesses on this team...because no draft ever does.

Fine, but if we're going to get an OLineman, wouldn't you rather get a RT/Backup LT? I know the "franchise" label wouldn't be likely applied to a guy taken at that spot, but it's a possibility, and a greater immediate need... IMO.

Fine, but if we're going to get an OLineman, wouldn't you rather get a RT/Backup LT? I know the "franchise" label wouldn't be likely applied to a guy taken at that spot, but it's a possibility, and a greater immediate need... IMO.

Yes, if Oher drops. We should be close to him at least.

sure, OT is a greater immediate need, but if i had to choose between getting a rock star C or a good RT (that could be the right fit) i will gladly take the C and address RT next year (which like S there will be a lot of great talent in the next draft.)

Oher would be a much better pick based on need.

Lemme just ask you all this.

Would you pass on Drafting Jeff Van Note ??

Mack will Anchor the team that drafts him for 12 years.

How do you pass up a player like that ?

Also, since this was posted lets take a look at the Team Depth Chart

for a minute.

Anybody care to take a shot at it?

This also could be a poker move by Atlanta. If they know the Ravens want him, and he falls into Atlantas lap, TD could try to trade down with the Ravens and add another pick in the late rounds. Depends on how badly the Ravens need\want him.

I also wouldn't mind picking up a top offensive linemen in the first round.

sure, OT is a greater immediate need, but if i had to choose between getting a rock star C or a good RT (that could be the right fit) i will gladly take the C and address RT next year (which like S there will be a lot of great talent in the next draft.)

Yeah, I understand your point. I wouldn't be horrified with the selection, but that's not to say I'd agree with it. McClure still hasn't even missed a game, and is highly regarded in the league, and we just signed his backup. So what to do with them?

...but yes, I do understand the arguments for him. Hopefully they are all rendered moot when we draft a DLman.

Could also come back in the third and get

Fenuki Tupou, Oregon

Height: 6-5. Weight: 314.

Projected 40 Time: 5.28.

Combine 40 Time: 5.41.

Pro Day 40 Time: 5.20.

Benchx225: 24. Arm: 34.

Projected Round (2009): 2-3.

The O line would be completly rebuilt for the long haul.

Our OLB ILB and S will be waiting for us in the 4th and 5a , b.

A franchise center who can also play guard. Unless Romberg is the future?
This also could be a poker move by Atlanta. If they know the Ravens want him, and he falls into Atlantas lap, TD could try to trade down with the Ravens and add another pick in the late rounds. Depends on how badly the Ravens need\want him.

I also wouldn't mind picking up a top offensive linemen in the first round.

My hopes are that Romberg isnt the future at center.. but I have been surprised before :lol:

I think that even though TD is well known for picking the best player from a needs/scheme point of view, it would be foolish to pass on a player with the qualities that Mack posesses. What if the quality on the defensive line, or another need position of ours, is just not there at #24? I wouldnt mind it either tbh.

If this is part of TD's smoke and mirrors plan, wouldnt it be more likely that the Ravens trade ahead of us?