DE will be a priority in the first.

kirbyr

Trey Lewis has shown this regime that he has the ability needed to start. DeCoud could start at FS and Coleman can switch back to SS, I would feel comfortable with either. Nicholas will get a starting job, as will Peterson. We will get a LB to groom in the 3rd or 4th.

The only question marks we have are corner and DE. We will be drafting a DE if only to get JA98's *** in gear, and provide depth. Kroy is not starting material, he lacks the size and strength needed to play LDE, he is better suited to RDE. I think Davis, JA98, and the draft pick will compete for that position, that would give us 3 solid ends and JA55. We will go DE in the first round, because we all know a secondary is only as good as the line.

Houston has all the tools to dominate, he just needs to turn his **** head. Jackson is a good nickle, and will compete for a starting job. Look for us to grab a corner in the second.

We have starters at DT, we will draft depth in the 6th and 7th rounds, big body guys.

Saftey needs something, and I am probably wrong about DeCoud starting. If the front office has confidence in him we will draft a safety in the 4th/5th round. As well as a TE.

Thats how I think the draft will happen. Hopefully Dimitroff can hit on pretty much every pick once again.

When did Trey Lewis show this regime anything????

We've actually got some depth at DE, so drafting one in the 1st wouldn't make very much sense. It's one of our very few positions on defense with some depth.

Corner on the other hand does make sense, we need to draft a starting quality CB since it appears we're not signing one in FA and we don't really have a proven one on the roster yet (Jackson has the best shot at it though IMO).

We could use a starter/depth at DT, both safety positions, and OLB positions. I'm not extremely confident in our penciled in starters at any of those positions.

So I'd guess DT/CB/S/OLB in the first 2 rounds. OLB looks like it might have some depth in round 3. If we want a big body DT, then round 4/5 might be best because of who should be available there.

Sorry but we can't afford to spend 3 first round pick in 4 years on 1 position - especially when you consider that we also added another DE in the middle of the draft last year.

Fix our other (bigger) needs first, and actually give Anderson and Bierman a chance to develop...

Defensive Tackle is our biggest need not End, unless JA98 is moved inside. Trey Lewis has potential, but who knows if he's fully recovered from his injuries.

I would be inclined to select a corner in the first round, hopefully Daruis Butler. This would fill two needs as it would allow Hutchins to move to safety to compete with DeCoud.

Defensive Tackle is our biggest need not End, unless JA98 is moved inside. Trey Lewis has potential, but who knows if he's fully recovered from his injuries.

I would be inclined to select a corner in the first round, hopefully Daruis Butler. This would fill two needs as it would allow Hutchins to move to safety to compete with DeCoud.

WE really dont need a corner, it would be a luxury to pick a CB in the 1st round. WE already have a young secondary, and another young player wont help that much. DE is one of our bigger needs along with DT, but we need to get after the QB, this will help our secondary more than putting younger player back there.

Who cares if we have depth at DE when only one of them is any good at getting to the QB. We have to improve our pass rush. That will fix a lot of the holes with our secondary and allow them to play much better and more aggressively. Again, we went to the NFC championship game in 04 with Aaron Beasely and Jason Webster starting at corner and Corey Hall at FS because we led the league in sacks.

Who cares if we have depth at DE when only one of them is any good at getting to the QB. We have to improve our pass rush. That will fix a lot of the holes with our secondary and allow them to play much better and more aggressively. Again, we went to the NFC championship game in 04 with Aaron Beasely and Jason Webster starting at corner and Corey Hall at FS because we led the league in sacks.

good point, real good point.

But if we aren't even prepared to give someone like Kroy Bierman a chance, what is the point of drafting another DE? In 12 months time do we look to draft yet another DE when this year's rookie doesn't play like a pro-bowler in his first season?

You have to trust your picks and give them time to develop, rather than writing them off and looking to replace them after 1 or 2 years.

NT is the biggest need, but this is an EXTREMELY weak NT class...Raji will be the only NT taken in the first and Brace is a 3-4 NT b/c he is very slow...After that, there is almost no body till the 4th round...

I don't think nose tackle is our biggest need. I think Trey Lewis can hold that down. Maybe draft a guy in the later rounds for rotation. Nose tackle isn't that hard to find, especially as much as we rotate.

But if we aren't even prepared to give someone like Kroy Bierman a chance, what is the point of drafting another DE? In 12 months time do we look to draft yet another DE when this year's rookie doesn't play like a pro-bowler in his first season?

You have to trust your picks and give them time to develop, rather than writing them off and looking to replace them after 1 or 2 years.

Thats true, and Kroy is one of my Favorite players, but i dont know if he can develop into a everydown DE. He would have to add at least 20lbs to get to a good playing weight. He may be able to do it, but i really hope that we try him at OLB.

True, and I like Kroy, but look at what teams like the giants do. Just cause you have Kroy (Who is way undersized btw), doesn't mean you stick with that. The Giants have Osi, Kiwanuka, Tuck, Robbins, and still went and got Bernard and Canty. A good pass rusher is gonna be on their bench during a given play, but through out the game they will always be fresh. So what I'm saying is you can't have enough pass rushers. It isn't giving up on a guy just because you add someone else to compete with them.

I don't think nose tackle is our biggest need. I think Trey Lewis can hold that down. Maybe draft a guy in the later rounds for rotation. Nose tackle isn't that hard to find, especially as much as we rotate.
We were getting torched up the middle b/c our NT(Grady, Jefforson) couldn't cause any disruption vs. the run game....Yeah, I agree that we need a rotational guy in the mid to 5th round for rotation( I love Sammie Lee Hill)...But, a 325 lb. man that has busted his knee twice is never good....Trey is one of my favorite players, but we will need a solid rotation(like you said) so we don't overwork him...

We were getting torched up the middle b/c our NT(Grady, Jefforson) couldn't cause any disruption vs. the run game....Yeah, I agree that we need a rotational guy in the mid to 5th round for rotation( I love Sammie Lee Hill)...But, a 325 lb. man that has busted his knee twice is never good....Trey is one of my favorite players, but we will need a solid rotation(like you said) so we don't overwork him...

Yea def need to wait and see on Trey...I'm just hoping the coaches and personnel people know whats up.

Thats true, and Kroy is one of my Favorite players, but i dont know if he can develop into a everydown DE. He would have to add at least 20lbs to get to a good playing weight. He may be able to do it, but i really hope that we try him at OLB.

So he's a situational pass rusher.....just like the position many are pushing to be drafted in the 1st round. We'd be duplicating efforts and not addressing more pressing needs.

I don't know if he was brought here to be an every down DE. On the face of it, he looks more like a situational pass rusher, which is actually just what we need. Anderson is better against teh run than the pass, and if Kroy can come in on passing downs and give usa rush when we need it, they could form a good rotation.

It will be interesting to see how Bierman shows up this off-season, and whether the staff have tried to bulk him up. I have a feeling that KB will be a breakout player for us this season.

So he's a situational pass rusher.....just like the position many are pushing to be drafted in the 1st round. We'd be duplicating efforts and not addressing more pressing needs.

We drafted a DE in the first most of those propects would not be as effective against the run as DAvis or Anderson, but would be much more effecitve at generating pass rush in there first year. My hopes are that within 2 years they would be an all around DE that can play all 3 downs.

True, and I like Kroy, but look at what teams like the giants do. Just cause you have Kroy (Who is way undersized btw), doesn't mean you stick with that. The Giants have Osi, Kiwanuka, Tuck, Robbins, and still went and got Bernard and Canty. A good pass rusher is gonna be on their bench during a given play, but through out the game they will always be fresh. So what I'm saying is you can't have enough pass rushers. It isn't giving up on a guy just because you add someone else to compete with them.

There is nothing wriong with adding depth, but you don't add depth in the first round whern you have bigger needs.

We are stronger at DE than we are at DT, OLB, or Safety. If the uncapped year is voided, it is conceivable that we could also lose the entire right side of our O-line to free agency next year, so - unless we are looking to retien Claybo/Dahl - I'd consider adding an OL before a DE.

Add a DE by all means, but do it in the 4th or 5th round.

I don't know if he was brought here to be an every down DE. On the face of it, he looks more like a situational pass rusher, which is actually just what we need. Anderson is better against teh run than the pass, and if Kroy can come in on passing downs and give usa rush when we need it, they could form a good rotation.

It will be interesting to see how Bierman shows up this off-season, and whether the staff have tried to bulk him up. I have a feeling that KB will be a breakout player for us this season.

That is if he can handle the weight without losing speed. He is currently listed at 241, he would have a ways to go.

There is nothing wriong with adding depth, but you don't add depth in the first round whern you have bigger needs.

We are stronger at DE than we are at DT, OLB, or Safety. If the uncapped year is voided, it is conceivable that we could also lose the entire right side of our O-line to free agency next year, so - unless we are looking to retien Claybo/Dahl - I'd consider adding an OL before a DE.

Add a DE by all means, but do it in the 4th or 5th round.

What are these bigger needs that you are referring to, what is a bigger need that consistenly getting pressure on the QB.

What are these bigger needs that you are referring to, what is a bigger need that consistenly getting pressure on the QB.

Well,we are 5 deep at DE with Abe, Anderson, Davis, Bierman and Fraser.

Our only competent NT has torn his ACL twice in the last 18 months; we don't have 1single competent backup at safety, and we have 1 decent backup at LB. I'd also consider adding OL above a DE for the reason I stated above.

Well,we are 5 deep at DE with Abe, Anderson, Davis, Bierman and Fraser.

Our only competent NT has torn his ACL twice in the last 18 months; we don't have 1single competent backup at safety, and we have 1 decent backup at LB. I'd also consider adding OL above a DE for the reason I stated above.

the key that your are indicating is that they would be backups, waiting in the wings to develop to hopefully become our starters. Of the above listed positions I would agree that DT does have some holes but we can get a good quality rotational player in rounds 2-5. We have Fudge behind Coleman at SS, dont forget that Hutchins can play FS too, so he could back up behind Decoud (or they could battle it out for the starting spot). Why not have a player that can have a significant impact now that will be rotational or not a full-time starter. The difference to me is that most of those prospects drafted at those other positions would be backup, not playing unless there is an injury or a change in package. WE still have 6 more rounds to pickup servicable backups.

the key that your are indicating is that they would be backups, waiting in the wings to develop to hopefully become our starters. Of the above listed positions I would agree that DT does have some holes but we can get a good quality rotational player in rounds 2-5. We have Fudge behind Coleman at SS, dont forget that Hutchins can play FS too, so he could back up behind Decoud (or they could battle it out for the starting spot). Why not have a player that can have a significant impact now that will be rotational or not a full-time starter. The difference to me is that most of those prospects drafted at those other positions would be backup, not playing unless there is an injury or a change in package. WE still have 6 more rounds to pickup servicable backups.

I don't think it would hurt us to try to add a starter at either safety spot, OLB, CB, or DT in the first 2 rounds of this draft. All of those positions could be upgraded IMO. DE could also certainly be upgraded, but the need there is not as urgent. We've got a 5 deep rotation already there, and while everyone would love the LDE to get more pressure on the QB, they have to be able to play the run as well, so IMO, we're "ok" there especially compared to the depth/starters at FS, SS, CB, OLB, & DT.

I don't think it would hurt us to try to add a starter at either safety spot, OLB, CB, or DT in the first 2 rounds of this draft. All of those positions could be upgraded IMO. DE could also certainly be upgraded, but the need there is not as urgent. We've got a 5 deep rotation already there, and while everyone would love the LDE to get more pressure on the QB, they have to be able to play the run as well, so IMO, we're "ok" there especially compared to the depth/starters at FS, SS, CB, OLB, & DT.

I dont know who would come in and start at OLB, Safety with the pick that we have a 24. I like our current LB core. HOw much of a difference do you see with the safties in this draft compared to Thomas Decoud. I agree that DT would be a need, but we need a NT, and both Jerry and Hood are a little light, but they may still be effective though. CB is a ?, because he we cant improve our pass rush then how much help would a rookie CB provide over what we already have.