Next year's AFMB IMD mock draft

Robb4242

2010 AFMB IMD Mock Draft  

14 members have voted

1. 1. 1. Should we use timeslots for next year's draft

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Regardless of the previous answer, what is the best way to use timeslots?

• Set it for all 7 rounds at the beginning of the draft
    • Set it for 2 rounds at a time
    • Set it for each round
    • Other (please explain)
  3. 3. How much time should be allotted per pick?

• 4 hours
    • 3 hours
    • 2 hours
    • 1 hour
    • 30 minutes
    • Other (please explain)

Now that we've finished the 7 rounds in this year's mock I'll put up a quick poll to see about a change for next year. I kind of like the format we're using for UDFA's, so this poll question relates to that setup.

Timeslots would mean that each team will draft at a certain time of day, and that time would be set in advance, so that each GM knows it and would be able to make arrangements easier to be online at that time.

I could see us doing timeslots either all set from the beginning (all 7 rounds), or 1 round at a time, or even 2 rounds at a time. I think once we go past 2 rounds, we might as well do the entire 7 rounds, but that's just my opinion.

The amount of time allotted per pick could be changed with this format. I think anything less than 3 hours is probably too short, especially if we're setting more than 1 round at a time. If we set 1 round at a time, then maybe 2 hours would be ok, but there are a lot of people who work or are in school, or even in different time zones that might make 2 hours very hard.

With timeslots, we would allow picks to be made before your time were due for a pick if the team ahead of you picks. But if 2 or 3 teams pick in a row, then the next team would still have until their timeslot ends to make a pick. That could cause a lull in the action (and we all know there are none of those right now). :P

So, this is just to get your thoughts & discussion on the topic. Please let me know when you vote, even if it's just a post padder saying you've voted.

I vote for setting times for picks for all 7 rounds before the draft starts. That way, there's no waiting around wondering when your time to pick will be. Everyone will know how long the draft is going to take and when they need to be on to make their pick. If they miss it, they get skipped. It would work a lot better than having to check back all the time to figure out when you were on the clock.

I vote for setting times for picks for all 7 rounds before the draft starts. That way, there's no waiting around wondering when your time to pick will be. Everyone will know how long the draft is going to take and when they need to be on to make their pick. If they miss it, they get skipped. It would work a lot better than having to check back all the time to figure out when you were on the clock.

Just so everyone knows, I voted for setting at the start of each round. But I don't want that to influence anybody.

I think that is a good way, everybody knows when a round should be ending, so then they could check back about the time is should end to get the next rounds schedule if we're not running ahead. But if we were running ahead, we could speed up the draft a little bit with the adjustment each round (of course that may not speed up the entire draft but a couple of hours). 7 rounds does have it's advantages as well though, and I'm not decided on any one or the other.

Just so everyone knows, I voted for setting at the start of each round. But I don't want that to influence anybody.

I think that is a good way, everybody knows when a round should be ending, so then they could check back about the time is should end to get the next rounds schedule if we're not running ahead. But if we were running ahead, we could speed up the draft a little bit with the adjustment each round (of course that may not speed up the entire draft but a couple of hours). 7 rounds does have it's advantages as well though, and I'm not decided on any one or the other.

Good point, and I think that would work too.

what are your thoughts on setting a specific draft pick time?

like mon-fri draft starts at like 10am (est) to 8pm (est)

sat-sun: noon - 12am

it also seemed that there were a few that did not participate on a day to day basis. set up a rule that says you get 2 chances to properly make a pick, after that then all your picks must be submitted in advance by PM'ing a pick list for that particular round. however if you are online and prefer another player not listed, then it will need to be sent via PM. you may want to get 1 or 2 other person involved to handle this.

I say U set a "draft day" and have everybody pick the 1st 3 rounds, back-to-back. Then go 2 tha old format 4 rounds 4-7.

I don't want to do a "draft day" for a couple of reasons.

1. It's impossible to get 32 people online at one time for the length of time that this would take.

2. This is supposed to be an off-season time killer, that also gets people thinking about what other teams besides the Falcons need (which can then help people see what players may or may not fall based on other team's needs). If we schedule this to be done in only 1 or 2 days, then we lose the time killing part that I like. I would prefer that we cut this down to about 3 - 4 weeks total time (offseason & draft), this year it took about 8 total weeks, almost 4 of which was the draft part. The draft should be 2 weeks, any longer & people start losing interest, but making it much shorter than that and too many missed picks.

I voted for having timeslots for next year's draft.

I voted for having a specified amount for each round.

Round 1- 2 hours

Round 2- 1 hour

Round 3- 1 hour

Round 4- 1 hour

Round 5- 30 minutes

Round 6- 30 minutes

Round 7- 30 minutes

I like this idea. I would set the time slots at the beginning of each round, so you don't have to correct all of the other rounds if something sets it back.

Use time slots for every round. Set the slots for the first 3 rounds at first. 2 hours per pick, spread over 1 week. Then set the slots for the final 4 rounds. 1 hour 30 per pick, spread over a 2nd week. Kind of like 1 week for each day of the real draft.

Also, there should be one guy who doesn't have a team who is just the 'commish', and if you can't make your slot you send him a list of people to pick for you.

Just FYI

32 picks x 4 hours/pick = 128 hours

128 hours/18 hour days = 7 days/round

32 picks x 3 hours/pick = 96 hours

96 hours/18 hour days = 5.3 days/round

32 picks x 2 hours/pick = 64 hours

64 hours/18 hour days = 3.5 days/round

32 picks x 1 hour/pick = 32 hours

32 hours/18 hour days = 1.7 days per round

32 picks x .5 hours/pick = 16 hours

16 hours/18 hour days = .8 hours per round

Rounds 1-3 @ 3 hours per pick with 18 hour days

5.3 days per round x 3 rounds = 15.9 days

Rounds 4-7 @ 2 hours per pick with 18 hour days

3.5 days/round x 4 rounds = 14 days

15.9 days + 14 days = 29.9 days = 4.3 weeks

4.3 weeks is about the right pace IMO. We could set the timeslots for rounds 1-3 and then set timeslots for the last 4 rounds after that IF the 1st 3 rounds finished early.