Thomas Decoud

Do you guys think he has starter for the falcons? If so SS or FS. Remember he isn't that big, heres a scouting report on him from last year.

Thomas Decoud, FS, California

DeCoud is a very fluid athlete at the safety position, who was an all Pac-10 honorable mention selection. Mel Kiper Jr. of ESPN ranks DeCoud as the number five safety prospect in the 2008 draft. He does a good job in zone coverage and can cover an entire half of the field as long as he is not caught out of position. He does a good job of getting to passes to either deflect or intercept them. He was a tackling machine in 2008, leading California with 116 tackles. DeCoud is a monster hitter and looks for the big hit every chance he gets; this can lead to missed tackles. DeCoud does a very good job defending against the run from his safety position. He has adequate speed for the safety position, but does not have the burst to play corner at the next level. DeCoud matches up well with tight ends and running backs, but will struggle against receivers with top flight speed. DeCoud has been a two year starter for California on defense and has shown strides in understanding the game from the day he became a starter. DeCoud will contribute immediately on special teams. He blocked 6 kicks in 2 years as a starter on special teams. He also does a great job of blocking for return teams. DeCoud ran very well at the combine with a time of 4.48 in the forty yard dash. The biggest knock on DeCoud is his lack of experience. He is a bit of a developmental prospect, but he will make the team who takes a risk on him very happy down the road. DeCoud also performed well at California's Pro day. He will be a good pro player. He shows enough versatility and athleticism to play corner as well in a cover 2 scheme. DeCoud will be a second day pick in a class lacking talent at the safety position.

Do you guys think he has starter for the falcons? If so SS or FS. Remember he isn't that big, heres a scouting report on him from last year.

DeCoud is a very fluid athlete at the safety position, who was an all Pac-10 honorable mention selection. Mel Kiper Jr. of ESPN ranks DeCoud as the number five safety prospect in the 2008 draft. He does a good job in zone coverage and can cover an entire half of the field as long as he is not caught out of position. He does a good job of getting to passes to either deflect or intercept them. He was a tackling machine in 2008, leading California with 116 tackles. DeCoud is a monster hitter and looks for the big hit every chance he gets; this can lead to missed tackles. DeCoud does a very good job defending against the run from his safety position. He has adequate speed for the safety position, but does not have the burst to play corner at the next level. DeCoud matches up well with tight ends and running backs, but will struggle against receivers with top flight speed. DeCoud has been a two year starter for California on defense and has shown strides in understanding the game from the day he became a starter. DeCoud will contribute immediately on special teams. He blocked 6 kicks in 2 years as a starter on special teams. He also does a great job of blocking for return teams. DeCoud ran very well at the combine with a time of 4.48 in the forty yard dash. The biggest knock on DeCoud is his lack of experience. He is a bit of a developmental prospect, but he will make the team who takes a risk on him very happy down the road. DeCoud also performed well at California's Pro day. He will be a good pro player. He shows enough versatility and athleticism to play corner as well in a cover 2 scheme. DeCoud will be a second day pick in a class lacking talent at the safety position.

To me he is more of a FS, I think that he would be great in our scheme, and he needs to get his opportunity to start this year.

I think that time is now. From previous discussions regarding his position DeCould is set to be playing FS. Coleman was the FS last year, but in an interview, Coleman stated that he was set to be playing SS next season thus making room for DeCould/other at FS.

I dont have a link to the article. Untill another writer can provide it, take my word for it.

Well last season, when Milloy was hurt, J. Fudge went in to sub on him. Apparently he didnt do too bad.. which makes me think that there might be more to the safety battle than we think atm:

SS last year was Milloy and Fudge - FS was Coleman and DeCould.

If Fudge impressed the coaches with his level of play, wouldnt that open up for a 3-way position battle between Fudge, Coleman and DeCould?

Coleman could fill both positions, meaning he would only need to beat one of them :mellow:

I like the guy, but he just doesnt impress me at the safety, position, maybe because i havent seen him play alot. But i would really like the falcons to give him some corner reps, I could c him being a beast at cover 2 corner

I wonder if that has been the plan all along. Maybe that is why Dimitroff has been talking to so many Safety prospects.

If he is switched to CB and does a good job, then I am prepared to declare that Dimitroff is a football genius.

I like the guy, but he just doesnt impress me at the safety, position, maybe because i havent seen him play alot. But i would really like the falcons to give him some corner reps, I could c him being a beast at cover 2 corner

How can he not impress you if you havent seen him at Safety. Some of the Best cover 2 Safeties can play CB too, which means that he has the speed to cover the field.

in our system, we dont necessarily have a FS and a SS. I think Mike Smith's dream is to have 2 interchangeable guys who both can hit and cover their half of the field. With that said, we would only be looking for a guy who is better than what we have at a designated position. So when our picks comes up, we will look at what is on the board and take the guy who best upgrades our team not just pick a guy at a position we may not have the best talent at. Plus you start from the inside out, building down the middle. DT, MLB, S. we have a MLB so we need to come up with a better DT and better S. We may not be in a position to take either at 24 so the next most needs will be OLB, TE or DE. We have a better chance to get better at 24 in one of these 3 positions than the others. DE, we need someone with some size there. Not one of these DE\OLB hybrid guys. we have that in abe. We need a DE who can anchor that side of the line but at the same time be able to get after the QB. I dont see one of those guys with a first round grade, maybe jackson from LSU. But he may be gone.

In conclusion i believe we will take one of the OLBs who will be there (Matthews or Cushing) or TE with a 1st round grade (Pettigrew). We will take the same approach thru each round till we get what we need but only taking someone who will upgrade us at that position.

I think he will have the chance to start...that said, I don't think he will.

I have questions about his playmaking ability. If I remember correctly he wasn't a big time playmaker @ Cal.

When Milloy was out last year, it was week 17. DeCoud had been in the system all of training game and practically all the regular season and Jamaal Fudge got the nod over him. I am not sure the coaches are sold on him either.

I think he is an adequate reserve safety for the Falcons.

in our system, we dont necessarily have a FS and a SS. I think Mike Smith's dream is to have 2 interchangeable guys who both can hit and cover their half of the field. With that said, we would only be looking for a guy who is better than what we have at a designated position. So when our picks comes up, we will look at what is on the board and take the guy who best upgrades our team not just pick a guy at a position we may not have the best talent at. Plus you start from the inside out, building down the middle. DT, MLB, S. we have a MLB so we need to come up with a better DT and better S. We may not be in a position to take either at 24 so the next most needs will be OLB, TE or DE. We have a better chance to get better at 24 in one of these 3 positions than the others. DE, we need someone with some size there. Not one of these DE\OLB hybrid guys. we have that in abe. We need a DE who can anchor that side of the line but at the same time be able to get after the QB. I dont see one of those guys with a first round grade, maybe jackson from LSU. But he may be gone.

In conclusion i believe we will take one of the OLBs who will be there (Matthews or Cushing) or TE with a 1st round grade (Pettigrew). We will take the same approach thru each round till we get what we need but only taking someone who will upgrade us at that position.

We already have two DE with size which include Anderson and DAvis. WE need a DE that can get to the QB, which may be a tweener. He would be a situational pass rusher as he develops into an everydown DE. I dont think we will target a LB. I think we will either get a DE, DT, TE, SS ( i hope we dont get a safety) :D

I have questions about his playmaking ability. If I remember correctly he wasn't a big time playmaker @ Cal.

When Milloy was out last year, it was week 17. DeCoud had been in the system all of training game and practically all the regular season and Jamaal Fudge got the nod over him. I am not sure the coaches are sold on him either.

I dont think that TD would use a 3rd round pick for Depth when we needed to get a Safety last year. Fudge already had experience in Smith's system in Jacksonville, maybe that is why he played instead of Decoud. TD hit on jus about every pick he made last year. He helped to pick a few winners at Safety in New England so i would think he has skill at finding talent at the Safety position. Decoud is fast, can tackle, and is a very intelligent player. I still dont see a big difference in Decoud and any other safety in this years draft.

1. We should all have questions about his playmaking abilities. No one has seen him play much Safety in the NFL. Of course, the same goes for all of this year's draft prospects.

2. DeCoud did not get a chance to play Safety when Milloy was out. This can be explained by the fact that the Safety must be well versed in the defensive scheme. More so than a CB. If you recall, Foxworth did not crack the starting line up until week seven. If an experienced CB had to prove his knowledge of the scheme, what do you think a rookie Safety had to do?

3. He was a playmaker at Cal and he played ST's very well. I think that he stands a very good chance of becoming a very good starter for us.

I dont think that TD would use a 3rd round pick for Depth when we need to get a Safety last year. Fudge already had experience in Smith's system in Jacksonville. TD hit on jus about every pick he made last year. He helped to pick a few winners at Safety in New England so i would think he has skill at finding talent at the Safety position. Decoud is fast, can tackle, and is a very intelligent player. I still dont see a big difference in Decoud and any other safety in this years draft.

agreed.

How can he not impress you if you havent seen him at Safety. Some of the Best cover 2 Safeties can play CB too, which means that he has the speed to cover the field.

[/quote

I don't have to see him play, the coaching staff started 5'9'' 194 lb fudge over him, i don't care if fudge was in jmikes system before, by not impressing the coaching staff, he has not impressed me. But I like his size and ball skills at corner better