My case for Evander Hood

Last week, I posted a thread making a case for Brandon Pettigrew. The responses were mixed, but most were very lucid and helped me think more broadly about our first pick. This week, I want to make a case for Evander Hood. This is a quote from my previous post:

The defense needs DT and a LB. It also could use a good pass rushing DE. The offense needs depth at the OL and a dual threat TE.

When Dimitroff looks at this draft he will look at each position and judge the depth of talent. So, let's go through this:

DT: We will not get a chance to draft Raji. However, there are a few good DT's that can help stop the run (Scott, Brace, Hill). We don't have to draft a DT in the first round because we can pick up a similarly talented one later on.

Looking at our options for DT in the second and later rounds, I mentioned Hill, Scott and Brace. Let me poke a few holes in each DT, as they pertain to our draft.

Sammie Lee Hill. This guy comes from a small school and has been a long time favorite on these boards. He certainly has the size to qualify, but he is a little slow to get out of his stance, and he needs a lot of work on his technique. Right now, he looks like a good developmental player, but he doesn't look like he will contribute much his first season.

Dorrell Scott. This Clemson DT has been flying under the radar. He is a good run stopper, but doesn't do much for the pass rush. He would be a good rotational guy, but not much more than that.

Ron Brace. Of course, everyone knows BJ Raji's partner. The two of them basically dominated the interior line in college. Brace is a stay at home run plugger. In college he was able to do that well and I expect that he will do a good job in the NFL. The problem is that he has gained a lot of steam lately and will likely get drafted by a 3-4 team before our second round choice. He is big but he is also slow. In my opinion, he is too slow for our 4-3 DT. I don't want to draft him in the first round and I don't think that he will be there for our second round.

All of this brings me to Evander "Ziggy" Hood. Mr Hood is 6'-3", 300 lbs and he runs the forty in less than 5 seconds. That means that he can add ten pounds to his large frame and still not give up much speed. So, when we look a Hood, we need to recognize that he has the size to be our DT now, but he also has the potential to get even bigger.

During his college days at Mizzou, Ziggy lived in the offense's backfield. He was pretty much a terror and required double teams to contain him. On these boards, many believe that he is an UT....not so. Hood is strong against the run and can anchor as well as Raji. A DT tandem of Hood and Babs could pose some very difficult problems for offenses on obvious passing downs.

When you break down our defensive weaknesses, DL play has to come to the forefront. J Anderson got most of the grief, but we did not get much pass rush from our DT's. Grady was sucking wind and Babs was seeing a lot of double teams. We need a good run defender, but we need another penetrating DT to wreak some havoc in the middle. I suppose that we can find another UT in this draft. There should be quite a few of them in later rounds. But, if we want a DT that can stay in the game full time, Hood stands out.

If Evander Hood is not drafted sooner, we should take him with the #24 pick.

Well, let's open this up to discussion. What do you think?

Before I post I would just like to say that I am a Hood fan and wouldn't mind drafting him at all.

What's the reasoning/examples behind you saying he is strong against the run? From what I've seen he is very good at penetration, but not so much at holding his blockers. But I may be completely wrong.

I did read somewhere that he had tried to put weight on before and found he couldn't really. Ummm not sure think it was from mockingthedraft but not sure. Will check.

i could see hood going in the 1st rd especially when teams go on a position craze and then every other teams panic and start making earlier picks and possible moving up. i could seriously see the vikings picking hood and not a CB or S too, pat williams is a aging NT and i can see a rookie NT on a temp duty filling in while he takes his suspension next year.

Before I post I would just like to say that I am a Hood fan and wouldn't mind drafting him at all.

What's the reasoning/examples behind you saying he is strong against the run? From what I've seen he is very good at penetration, but not so much at holding his blockers. But I may be completely wrong.

I did read somewhere that he had tried to put weight on before and found he couldn't really. Ummm not sure think it was from mockingthedraft but not sure. Will check.

I did not see much of Hood in college. However, he performed very well in run D drills at the Senior Bowl. His skill set is ideal for a DL that plays gap responsibility. He would make a great tandem with Babs.

I'm fine with Hood. It really depends on what defensive scheme we're going to run (actual cover 2 as stated, or more man coverage as Smith said, or more toward tampa 2, where we need two penetrating DTs.)

I don't think a big fatty that can't collapse the pocket is what we need at NT. When Coleman was here, you saw how disruptive it was to have pressure up the middle. In 08, Abraham would have had 8 more sacks if the QB couldn't step up in the pocket. The LE (Davis sometimes, Anderson sometimes) also would have had several. We need to help our pass rush off the edge, but sometimes the best way to do that is to get a guy pushing the middle.

Think of it this way...if you're a QB, what is more disruptive? A guy who's coming off the edge, who you never see, and he gets 2 sacks...or a guy who you see every plan, in your face, and only ends up with a half sack? The latter guy is way worse, because he gives you the happy feet. You seem him casting your blocker aside, and he won't let you step up, so you have to throw a lot off your back feet.

Good penetrating DTs lead to INTs because the QB cannot have proper mechanics.

So, if we can find a DT who can anchor OK to pretty good against the run, and can get after the QB, that's a really big help to this defense.

Also, we don't have a light tampa 2 MLB. We have a thumper heavier MLB, which allows you to get more penetrating DTs.

problem with not having a massive NT: Nobody will be there in the middle who can command a double team (two gap filler) leaving the guards the option to double the DEs in the run game, as well as against the pass. We need a 315-330 lbs NT to complement Babs. Convince me Hood can not only shed his blocker to disrupt the run, but also command a double team, then I'll be more on board with this pick in the first. I'm not convinced right now that he's that kind of DT....

problem with not having a massive NT: Nobody will be there in the middle who can command a double team (two gap filler) leaving the guards the option to double the DEs in the run game, as well as against the pass. We need a 315-330 lbs NT to complement Babs. Convince me Hood can not only shed his blocker to disrupt the run, but also command a double team, then I'll be more on board with this pick in the first. I'm not convinced right now that he's that kind of DT....

He already is 300, and could probably get bigger fairly easily.

And that's 300 pounds of pure muscle from the looks of it. He put up 36 reps @ his pro day. I really dont see why 10-15 pounds of basically worthless fat(because I dont really know how much more muscle he could put on because he is ripped already) would be necessary.

He could get double-teams immediately. Idk, maybe it's the cornrows, but he reminds me alot of the best DT ever, Warren Sapp. ;)

If a team doubles Abe and single blocks him, then he will make Rod Coleman look like Chad Lavalais. :D

Evander Hood is 300 lbs, with room on his frame to add more. Not only that, but I've never seen someone who is 300 lbs look so ripped at the same time.

Also, for anyone who said he can't gain weight, he was listed as 290 going into the season.

He's on the roster already. Trey Lewis: 6'3, 323. He'll be 24 in May, which is STILL younger than Peria Jerry who most want drafted in the first round. I have faith in Lewis, he showed great play for a rookie out of Washburn. If he's not the starter this year, he'll at the very least be a heavy contributer.

He already is 300, and could probably get bigger fairly easily.

And that's 300 pounds of pure muscle from the looks of it. He put up 36 reps @ his pro day. I really dont see why 10-15 pounds of basically worthless fat(because I dont really know how much more muscle he could put on because he is ripped already) would be necessary.

He could get double-teams immediately. Idk, maybe it's the cornrows, but he reminds me alot of the best DT ever, Warren Sapp. ;)

If a team doubles Abe and single blocks him, then he will make Rod Coleman look like Chad Lavalais. :D

Yeah, of all the 1st round options, I'd probably be more on board with this one. He's a hard worker with great intangibles from what I've read. If TD and co. believe he can be a solid NT, I'll be happy...

At the worst, he can always be a backup UT, and the rotation of him and Babs and wreck havoc on the QB...