DT: patient enough to wait another year?

.leon

I am a huge fan of the big guys in the middle. I think they have a far bigger impact on the game than some people realise, and am slightly miffed that we don't seem in a position this year to get a real stud. Raji and Jerry would likely be gone. I think Ziggy Hood is fantastic, but probably more suited to UT, rather than the big body we need. I like Ron Brace but am wary since he is one of those players whose stock has risen only really after the season's ended, and I think he will go inbetween out picks.

Next year's crop seems good, or we can possibly trade for a guy like John Henderson.

I think what will likely happen is we draft a guy like SLH or Pryor in the mid rounds and leg Trey Lewis take the starting job...but still I relish the though of having an absolute monster at DT.

As much as I tihnk Trey or Brace or guys like SLH can be above average starters, I don't see them ultimately being dominating on the level of say, an Albert Haynesworth.

Hopefully Suh next yeah :P

I am a huge fan of the big guys in the middle. I think they have a far bigger impact on the game than some people realise, and am slightly miffed that we don't seem in a position this year to get a real stud. Raji and Jerry would likely be gone. I think Ziggy Hood is fantastic, but probably more suited to UT, rather than the big body we need. I like Ron Brace but am wary since he is one of those players whose stock has risen only really after the season's ended, and I think he will go inbetween out picks.

Next year's crop seems good, or we can possibly trade for a guy like John Henderson.

I think what will likely happen is we draft a guy like SLH or Pryor in the mid rounds and leg Trey Lewis take the starting job...but still I relish the though of having an absolute monster at DT.

As much as I tihnk Trey or Brace or guys like SLH can be above average starters, I don't see them ultimately being dominating on the level of say, an Albert Haynesworth.

I kinda like your thinking. That way, we also have a much better picture of what we have in Lewis. Draft class this year seems a bit weak in this area anyway. No sense in spending a lot of money unless we're pretty sure of what we're getting. Remember we still got JA98 on our payroll to think about. <_<

you mean Ndamukong Suh from Nebraska right? hes an absolute beast, he had two INTs and returned both of them for TDs +he caught one

i would like a developmental guy to be our 3rd NT and 9th DL this year like terrance knighton in rd 4 or 5. next year i would like a guy in rd 1, like jared odrick or vince ohghabaase, to take jeffersons place and give trey lewis copetition at #1.

a DE would be nice too like brandon graham. the only way we get a DE past rd 1 is if he has one main deficiency like height or something.

I don't know why everyone thinks Hood is a UT.

He's 300 lbs of pure muscle. He can easily bulk up more.

I would love to get Hood in the draft. In some other topic I listed him as my 2nd favourite choice behind Michael Oher/Andre Smith.

I do think that throughout college he has shown himself to be more suited to UT though, through his style of play. he is very fast and explosive and seems always to be looking to get penetration. As a NT sometimes his role will be to sit there and hold blocks and plug holes rather than exploding through the OL. I do think he can be coached to be an effective run stopper, but I can see why he is regarded as more of a UT.

@Huskerfalcon Yeah I meant Ndamukong Suh

@falconsfan8412502 I disagree. I think truly dominating DTs are very hard to come by, and I believe are much easier found enar the top of the draft.

I don't know why everyone thinks Hood is a UT.

He's 300 lbs of pure muscle. He can easily bulk up more.

His style of play is what makes him more suited for the UT position. He is more of a pass rusher than run stuffer and uses a bunch of finesse moves to get around a Lineman. He probably wouldn't do very well if he was asked to just to hold his gap. I saw Northwestern run right at him and he was trying to use finesse moves to stop the run, but they weren't working.

If we didn't have Babs I would be all for Jerry/Hood but we need a natural NT who does a better job at holding his gap.