Our most glaring weakness on defense

Charley

A good DT would be an upgrade for our defense. Also, another DE that can get after the QB. These two things would definitely help out our young secondary and simultaneously protect our linebackers during running downs.

Note: A SS that has ball skills and that can be dominate in the box would be second on my list.

Another experience pass rusher

CB: This draft is full of cover 2 CBs...... Remember during the Quitrino administration Coach Zimmer said that he believe that David Irons could start in D-Hall spot (if traded)... David Irons was projected as a 2nd round pick but he fell to the 6 round because of his knee surgery and his learning disability.... Irons is 100% over his knee surgery but they said it takes him about a year to really learn a scheme.... its been a year ( David Irons ) .... We also have Chevis Jackson who looked really good as our nickleback ... I'm sure Jackson will get a chance to win the starting job... We also have Von Hutchins and Brent Grimes

LB: We are not in desperate need of a start now LB... We can get a guy and groom him.....

DT: I really like Trey Lewis...... In 2007 (when trey lewis started) we only allowed four 100 yard games (thru the whole year).... I really believe that our run Defense will improve...... We will add another big DT in the draft to rotate with Trey

Safety: We have Thomas Decoud..... TD saw something in Thomas Decoud...... We will draft a guy to compete with Thomas Decoud... I like Lawyer Milloy but remember that dude was terrible in pass coverage.... We will improve our Safety coverage ability (addition by subtraction)

I feel like we will draft guys that fits our scheme........ You guys act like we have no one in those positions but we do....... I feel like if we can improve our pass rush every other position will automatically improve (example... The Giants)...... Before the Giants won the super bowl their DBs looked terrible...... Corey Webster (who just signed a 5 year, $43.5 million contract) was benched because dude was getting burnt left and right...... Aaron Ross looked terrible his first couple of games...... The Giants learn how to generate a pass rush.... now everybody on their whole D look Elite...... Last year freakin Chase Blackburn and Danny Clark was the Giants starting Linebackers but that D-Line makes everybody look good.

Everybody on our D will look better if we can generate a consistent pass rush.... Beside Abe no one had more then 4 sacks last year..... Getting a consistent pass rush is like finding a good QB..... It seem like everything else just fall in place.

A good DT would be an upgrade for our defense. Also, another DE that can get after the QB. These two things would definitely help out our young secondary and simultaneously protect our linebackers during running downs.

Note: A SS that has ball skills and that can be dominate in the box would be second on my list.

I'am inclined to agree with you. If the pass rush improves, thats almost an instant upgrade to the secondary IMO. I know we may have some young guys stepping into starting rolls for the first time, but I would like to believe there would be improvement from last year. Now the big question... do you believe that both management and coaches would agree with this assesment. If for some reason they do, then I would also like to have a DT or DE.

Another experience pass rusher

CB: This draft is full of cover 2 CBs...... Remember during the Quitrino administration Coach Zimmer said that he believe that David Irons could start in D-Hall spot (if traded)... David Irons was projected as a 2nd round pick but he fell to the 6 round because of his knee surgery and his learning disability.... Irons is 100% over his knee surgery but they said it takes him about a year to really learn a scheme.... its been a year ( David Irons ) .... We also have Chevis Jackson who looked really good as our nickleback ... I'm sure Jackson will get a chance to win the starting job... We also have Von Hutchins and Brent Grimes

LB: We are not in desperate need of a start now LB... We can get a guy and groom him.....

DT: I really like Trey Lewis...... In 2007 (when trey lewis started) we only allowed four 100 yard games (thru the whole year).... I really believe that our run Defense will improve...... We will add another big DT in the draft to rotate with Trey

Safety: We have Thomas Decoud..... TD saw something in Thomas Decoud...... We will draft a guy to compete with Thomas Decoud... I like Lawyer Milloy but remember that dude was terrible in pass coverage.... We will improve our Safety coverage ability (addition by subtraction)

I feel like we will draft guys that fits our scheme........ You guys act like we have no one in those positions but we do....... I feel like if we can improve our pass rush every other position will automatically improve (example... The Giants)...... Before the Giants won the super bowl their DBs looked terrible...... Corey Webster (who just signed a 5 year, $43.5 million contract) was benched because dude was getting burnt left and right...... Aaron Ross looked terrible his first couple of games...... The Giants learn how to generate a pass rush.... now everybody on their whole D look Elite...... Last year freakin Chase Blackburn and Danny Clark was the Giants starting Linebackers but that D-Line makes everybody look good.

Everybody on our D will look better if we can generate a consistent pass rush.... Beside Abe no one had more then 4 sacks last year..... Getting a consistent pass rush is like finding a good QB..... It seem like everything else just fall in place.

Well that pretty much sums it up, but I do have some concerns about Trey Lewis. Just in a wait and see mode. No doubt the Giants won the superbowl due to a heavy pass rush on Brady.

Well that pretty much sums it up, but I do have some concerns about Trey Lewis. Just in a wait and see mode. No doubt the Giants won the superbowl due to a heavy pass rush on Brady.

I agree with your Trey Lewis comment..... We dont know for sure if Trew Lewis is 100% Healthy.... I want to see if Trey Lewis is 100% at this mini camp...... I believe that TD has scouted a mid round DT that fits our scheme.

I cant wait till the draft

What position on defense do you feel was our weakest link in 08 with explaination please?

Weakest link in 08? Probably Jamaal Anderson, OLB, and SS.

Jamaal Anderson was simply worthless as generating a pass rush, and Grady Jackson could not collapse the pocket inwards.

Brooking nor Boley could effectively play the pass or run. They may of had a good game in one facet, but would lack in the other.

Milloy was a beast when it came to running up and delivering the big hit, but he was weak in pass coverage.

How we will improve next year IMO? We will probably draft a OLB, SS, and DT with our top 3 picks. We may bring in another FA to compete at whatever position we don't draft for or we spend our 2nd/3rd round picks on. All in all, I see our defense looking like this next year.

RDE - John Abraham - Leader

NT - Trey Lewis/FA/Draft

UT - Johnathan Babineaux

LDE - Chauncey Davis

WLB - Draft Pick

MLB - Curtis Lofton - Leader

SLB - Mike Peterson - Leader

RCB - Chris Houston

LCB - Chevis Jackson

FS - Eric Coleman - Leader

SS - Draft Pick

Note: Mike Peterson may play WLB and we draft a SLB, that is completely up in the air.

I agree it was DT, OLB, and our secondary was a little shaky at times, but a better pass rush would help tremendously...but coaching is definitely not a weakness...you have to love some of the blitzs Van Gorder drew up last year...I hope we draft a DT first...a beast DT that is going to demand a double team, stuff the middle and still be quick enough to rush the passer...

What position on defense do you feel was our weakest link in 08 with explaination please?

In 07 our pass defense was rank 23rd and our rush defense was rank 26th in the league.

In 08 our pass defense is rank 21st and our rush defense is rank 25th in the league.

Teams are averaging 128 yards per game against our defense on the ground. Poor tackling up front and allowing offensive linemans to get to our linebackers have allowed runningbacks to gain big yards against us. We need a solid DT who's able to hold the point of attack and can make alot of tackles at the line of scrimmage. I think we should take Peria Jerry-DT if he fall to 24.

I'am inclined to agree with you. If the pass rush improves, thats almost an instant upgrade to the secondary IMO. I know we may have some young guys stepping into starting rolls for the first time, but I would like to believe there would be improvement from last year. Now the big question... do you believe that both management and coaches would agree with this assesment. If for some reason they do, then I would also like to have a DT or DE.

I hope they see it because pressure from your front four in a cover 2 scheme is a must. Without pressure it makes the opposing WR jobs easier at finding the holes in the zone. Especially slot WR and Tight ends running seam routes through the middle of the zone.

So yes being that we are running this scheme I suspect upgrades at these positions.

In 07 our pass defense was rank 23rd and our rush defense was rank 26th in the league.

In 08 our pass defense is rank 21st and our rush defense is rank 25th in the league.

Teams are averaging 128 yards per game against our defense on the ground. Poor tackling up front and allowing offensive linemans to get to our linebackers have allowed runningbacks to gain big yards against us. We need a solid DT who's able to hold the point of attack and can make alot of tackles at the line of scrimmage. I think we should take Peria Jerry-DT if he fall to 24.

Take a look at points allowed between the two years...

I hope they see it because pressure from your front four in a cover 2 scheme is a must. Without pressure it makes the opposing WR jobs easier at finding the holes in the zone. Especially slot WR and Tight ends running seam routes through the middle of the zone.

So yes being that we are running this scheme I suspect upgrades at these positions.

If we can see it, I am 100% certain that our FO can see it. They get payed millions to run the franchise for a reason...

I agree and i have to say that our Linebackers missed allot of open field tackles....I hate to pound on Brooking and Boley but they was missing mad tackles.... Boley was benched and Brooking just kept missing tackles....Miss tackles happen but Brooking missed allt of tackles... I really think that better tackling and gap control will make us a better run Defensive team..... I really believe that our run D will improve with with our new LB group and more active DT (Trey Lewis and whoever we draft)......... I also like when Chauncey Davis and Jamaal Anderson take snaps at DT

I'm more worried about a consistent pass rush on the other end of the D-Line..... We are going to face some passing offenses (Dallas, Eagles, Giants, Patriots, Saints)...... With our Offense we can compete with any team but we have to have a Defense that generates pressure.

Take a look at points allowed between the two years...

If we can see it, I am 100% certain that our FO can see it. They get payed millions to run the franchise for a reason...

Points allow in 08 have improve immensely from 07. I believe it is due to time of poccession. We did a much better job of keeping our offense on the football field in 08 than we did in 07. Teams can't put points on the score board if their offense is standing on the sideline.

I agree with your Trey Lewis comment..... We dont know for sure if Trew Lewis is 100% Healthy.... I want to see if Trey Lewis is 100% at this mini camp...... I believe that TD has scouted a mid round DT that fits our scheme.

I cant wait till the draft

Same here