Jasper Brinkley LB

datfalcon

i really enjoyed watching him even though i hate the gamecocks! he really shined through the yrs. i think he could be had late 2nd early 3rd and could be a great player for us in the future. he can play WLB, SLB or MLB but i like lofton at MLB so i think JB can plug WLB and nichols or wire play SLB and our corp will be solid. i know we picked up MP he can rotate through, or let him start this yr and JB can move between SLB and WLB to find the best fit. I really hope we get him. he is a great local guy and i havent heard of any character issues... i know alot want cushing, matthews, or laurinaitis but my counter to that would be i think JB is just as good and will come alot cheaper plus with my draft mock we drop out of the first to get an additional 2nd and 3rd. this would give us another pick and plus we wont have to over pay a first rounder.

What do yall think?? i look forward to your feed back...

As a Gamecock fan, he's one of my all-time favorite players. He was one of the best linebackers in the country his junior year at Carolina, an absolute stud. His senior year he started out red hot and was arguably the best, up until the LSU game where he blew out his knee and missed the rest of the season. He redshirted and came back the next season, but it was easy to see he wasn't the same player. Not as much explosion, lateral movement not near as good, etc. He didn't recover fully from it.

However, the last several months off he's been proving he can easily be a high draft pick. He dropped some unwanted weight, got more lean, his movement and speed is up, and he had one of the best combines of the linebackers. The knee injury is obviously out of his mind and not a factor anymore(or as much as it was his last season with Carolina). I doubt we'd go after him, since he is a pure middle linebacker. I highly doubt he can play WLB. He's going to be a very good NFL linebacker, but WLB isn't for him.

As a Gamecock fan, he's one of my all-time favorite players. He was one of the best linebackers in the country his junior year at Carolina, an absolute stud. His senior year he started out red hot and was arguably the best, up until the LSU game where he blew out his knee and missed the rest of the season. He redshirted and came back the next season, but it was easy to see he wasn't the same player. Not as much explosion, lateral movement not near as good, etc. He didn't recover fully from it.

However, the last several months off he's been proving he can easily be a high draft pick. He dropped some unwanted weight, got more lean, his movement and speed is up, and he had one of the best combines of the linebackers. The knee injury is obviously out of his mind and not a factor anymore(or as much as it was his last season with Carolina). I doubt we'd go after him, since he is a pure middle linebacker. I highly doubt he can play WLB. He's going to be a very good NFL linebacker, but WLB isn't for him.

i watched him play at thomson HS he is a stud!! but why dont you think he could play WLB... i think with his size and skills he can play all three positions. i see it to be a great pick. and would fit our scheme, if you remember VG was going to be his coach before last yrs mess

Before his injury, he was just as good as any linebacker out there. While he was never the same after the injury, you can clearly see, over the last several months of training, and a solid combine, he's over it and can be a very good linebacker. He is a MLB all the way, and I doubt Atlanta will go after him, but he'll be a solid pickup for anyone. If I remember correctly, he was pretty high up on everyone's linebacker boards.

You're kidding yourself if you think he is a seventh round pick or UDFA.

Think Brooking,but good against the run. His covering skills and speed may not be up to par due to his injury. And even prior to it, he was running like a 4.7 if I remember correctly.

However! he is a beast in the making at middle linebacker

i think he is a 7th rd pick or UFA, and a 3-4 inside linebacker. i dont want him at all.

I agree about the 3-4 inside linebacker. He may go higher than the 7th round b/c he worked out well at the combine.

I really wish all of these people on the board would stop attempting to move every player in the draft to another position.

i dont want to draft someone to move them to another position, but we have huge holes in our LB corps and no one iv seen will fit our scheme, and become a solid starter that is a WLB or SLB straight up. cushing and mathews may be close but JB is along the same size and caliber as them and would come ALOT cheaper. this is my point why spend a 1st round pick on someone like JA98 who shined in college to only fail in the bigs when we could draft a davis in the later rounds and let him EARN that big check??? im sorry i hate over paying for players who arent proven guys.

TD may already know that there isnt someone in this yrs draft to plug WLB and SLB so thats why we signed MP so next yr we can address this hole. but imo we dont have someone on our roster who will become a probowler at these positions. nichols maybe a good player but not the answer and wire although played well last yr, isnt either. if we dont address this needs we will have a uphill battle all yr on D