what would you think of a draft day trade for Glenn Dorsey

MSalmon

One of the most interesting stories this year that has gotten little press is the fact that the Chiefs are shifting to a 3-4 after spending #1 picks on Tamba Hall and most recently the #5 overall pick for Glenn Dorsey. Dorsey certainly is not best suited for a 3-4 NT or 3-4 DE--he's a definite 4-3 penetrating type with size.

in fact those that wanted Dorsey last year were not crazy, as our 4-3 base with Cover two and 1 gap responsibility would be a perfect fit for the stout and quick Dorsey.

We own the #24 pick. The chiefs are rebuilding and traded the #33 pick for Cassell. What would you all think of shipping the #24 overall to KC for Dorsey? I know many on this board clamored for Glenn instead of Ryan last year.

Wouldn't that be ironic if we ended up with Ryan and Dorsey after last years debate of which one to take?

Thoughts?

We had this discussion before in another topic ... I'd make this trade in a heartbeat, Dorsey was used wrong at KC and he'd be a perfect fit, if we wanted to get a little more aggressive up front.

I know some people here want a big-body NT, but I don't care about weight ... with Babs and Dorsey on the field together we'd get so much penetration, that RBs would've to bounce their runs to the outside.

My problem then would be that our LBs would be asked to be real good tacklers and quite honest, our OLBs are still a big question mark.

So, if we want to have a aggressive Front 4, YES ... but it wouldn't make much sense if we wanted to keep playing the (stupid) "bend but don't break"-style.

Love the idea, but I just couldn't see it happening. If we were to land Dorsey, it would have to be for alot less than a late 1st rounder. Knowing Pioli, he'd try to maximize value if he were to trade last year's #5 overall selection; knowing TD, he might not want to pay the contract that Dorsey has for a dominating, though slightly undersized, DT.

If we could augment the deal to be more cap-friendly to the Chiefs, or offer them more value on thier return, this might work. I think adding a 3rd rounder and possibly JA98 (a proto-type 34 DE) in exchange for Dorsey and Hali (maybe they'd take Vick, too - ha!). I like this trade, if it could work financially, b/c it should satisfy Pioli's need for value on his return, as Anderson could start immediately (he is very stout against the run) and the 1st and 3rd could net the Chiefs 2 major contributors, if not starters. As has been said, Dorsey somewhat and Hali especially are not good scheme fits in KCs new Pendergrast style 34.

From our perspective, the salary cap would be the only problem, as Dorsey is due big money, and Hali is in the 2nd year of a 4 year deal that averages over $4MM/season. But both players would be great in our DL rotation, with Hali likely battling DAvis for the starting nod at LE, and Dorsey working in a rotation w/ T. Lewis, J. Babs, and a draft pick. I here the critcisms that Dorsey doesn't fit many conceptualizations of a NT in a Cover 2 style system, but remember, we're talking about a player that can simply dominate his competition...this makes me less concerned with his size. As I remember at LSU he was the type of player that you didn't have time to talk about his size because you were always too busy talking about the last trainwreck he just caused somewhere on or behind the line of scrimmage.

Love the idea, but I just couldn't see it happening. If we were to land Dorsey, it would have to be for alot less than a late 1st rounder. Knowing Pioli, he'd try to maximize value if he were to trade last year's #5 overall selection; knowing TD, he might not want to pay the contract that Dorsey has for a dominating, though slightly undersized, DT.

If we could augment the deal to be more cap-friendly to the Chiefs, or offer them more value on thier return, this might work. I think adding a 3rd rounder and possibly JA98 (a proto-type 34 DE) in exchange for Dorsey and Hali (maybe they'd take Vick, too - ha!). I like this trade, if it could work financially, b/c it should satisfy Pioli's need for value on his return, as Anderson could start immediately (he is very stout against the run) and the 1st and 3rd could net the Chiefs 2 major contributors, if not starters. As has been said, Dorsey somewhat and Hali especially are not good scheme fits in KCs new Pendergrast style 34.

From our perspective, the salary cap would be the only problem, as Dorsey is due big money, and Hali is in the 2nd year of a 4 year deal that averages over $4MM/season. But both players would be great in our DL rotation, with Hali likely battling DAvis for the starting nod at LE, and Dorsey working in a rotation w/ T. Lewis, J. Babs, and a draft pick. I here the critcisms that Dorsey doesn't fit many conceptualizations of a NT in a Cover 2 style system, but remember, we're talking about a player that can simply dominate his competition...this makes me less concerned with his size. As I remember at LSU he was the type of player that you didn't have time to talk about his size because you were always too busy talking about the last trainwreck he just caused somewhere on or behind the line of scrimmage.

obviously this is a hypothetical discussion. But you are right Dorsey is far from a Pendegrast style DT. Dorsey would definitely work in a 1 gap 4-3. Folks were talking value, but truth be known i don't know that you have to sweeten the pot a lot. Face it Pioli didn't draft Dorsey, and Dorsey doesn't fit the scheme. getting a #24 for a wasted pick is some value in of itself. **** i like the JA98 trade straight up!

Probably none of this would happen--but hey a guy can dream, can't he?

I liked Dorsey a lot. I wanted him over Ryan (of course, that seems like stupidity now). But, we need to compare him to who we can draft now. Is Dorsey that much better than Evander Hood, or Peria Jerry? I am not certain. I know all about Dorsey's performance with LSU, but we need to project what each player will do on our team. Dorsey was surrounded by quite a few high quality defenders in college. Football is the ultimate team sport, so it can be difficult separating a prospect's talent from a team's talent.

If a trade for Dorsey is made, I would wait for draft day. If a quality DT can not be added by the end of day one, then an overnight trade can be worked out over dinner.

Keep in mind that John Henderson might be a good trade target as well.

O would love it but it would cost a lot. He was a top 5 pick. It would cost maybe this years first and next years first. I wouldn't be willing to give up that much and despite his performance last year, he will cost close to that. He was a rookie so his lack of production is understandable at the DT position. I would love to have him start beside Trey Lewis at UT and rotate him with Babs. This is a pipe dream though. If we can get Jerry from Ole Miss we would get a very similar player.

I may be in the minority but I wouldn't do the trade. We need a bigger body to pair inside with Babs. Dorsey is 6-1 297lbs which isn't much bigger than Babs. I didn't want Dorsey in the draft last year (because of the leg injuries) and I don't think I want him now. If we really want a DT in the first round why not draft one. Maybe someone like Ziggy Hood who is 6-3 300lbs. He may be somewhat of a reach in the first round but I don't think its too bad.

I may be in the minority but I wouldn't do the trade. We need a bigger body to pair inside with Babs. Dorsey is 6-1 297lbs which isn't much bigger than Babs. I didn't want Dorsey in the draft last year (because of the leg injuries) and I don't think I want him now. If we really want a DT in the first round why not draft one. Maybe someone like Ziggy Hood who is 6-3 300lbs. He may be somewhat of a reach in the first round but I don't think its too bad.

Thanx 4 your input 804 Bucsfan :P jk

One of the most interesting stories this year that has gotten little press is the fact that the Chiefs are shifting to a 3-4 after spending #1 picks on Tamba Hall and most recently the #5 overall pick for Glenn Dorsey. Dorsey certainly is not best suited for a 3-4 NT or 3-4 DE--he's a definite 4-3 penetrating type with size.

in fact those that wanted Dorsey last year were not crazy, as our 4-3 base with Cover two and 1 gap responsibility would be a perfect fit for the stout and quick Dorsey.

We own the #24 pick. The chiefs are rebuilding and traded the #33 pick for Cassell. What would you all think of shipping the #24 overall to KC for Dorsey? I know many on this board clamored for Glenn instead of Ryan last year.

Wouldn't that be ironic if we ended up with Ryan and Dorsey after last years debate of which one to take?

Thoughts?

DIdn't he have a bad year? Even before he got injured and after he got injured all i had heard on the guy was how bad he was playing and how bad his first step and his footwork in general was. Yeah i was one of those guys who was on Dorseys nuts big time. I figured a big DT like that will make every part of our defense just that much better. I highly doubt it will happen because how often does a team trade away one of their top 5 picks in one year of playing? I wouldn't be against it by any means, but i highly doubt it will happen.

If you're willing to give up the #24 pick for Dorsey, why not draft Peria Jerry instead. Jerry was just as productive as Dorsey but not as highly touted as Dorsey. Both are 6'1 and 298 lbs.

Glen Dorsey Stats

Senior Year (2007)

14 games played

34 solo tackles, 35 assisted, 69 total

12.5 tackles for loss for negative 53 yards

7 sacks for negative 45 yards

3 passes broken up

3 QB hurries

LINK to stats

Junior Year (2006)

13 games played

22 solo, 42 assisted, 64 total

8.5 tackles for loss for negative 42 yards

3 sacks for negative 25 yards

1 QB hurry

Peria Jerry Stats

Senior Year (2008)

12 games played

25 solo tackles, 24 assisted, 49 total

18 tackles for loss for negative 80 yards

7 sacks for negative 54 yards

3 QB hurries

2 FF

Link to stats

Junior Year (2007)

12 games played

40 solo, 18 assisted, 58 total tackles

14 tackles for loss for negative 41 yards

3.5 sacks for negative 16 yards

4 QB hurries

If you're willing to give up the #24 pick for Dorsey, why not draft Peria Jerry instead. Jerry was just as productive as Dorsey but not as highly touted as Dorsey. Both are 6'1 and 298 lbs.

Glen Dorsey Stats

Senior Year (2007)

14 games played

34 solo tackles, 35 assisted, 69 total

12.5 tackles for loss for negative 53 yards

7 sacks for negative 45 yards

3 passes broken up

3 QB hurries

LINK to stats

Junior Year (2006)

13 games played

22 solo, 42 assisted, 64 total

8.5 tackles for loss for negative 42 yards

3 sacks for negative 25 yards

1 QB hurry

Peria Jerry Stats

Senior Year (2008)

12 games played

25 solo tackles, 24 assisted, 49 total

18 tackles for loss for negative 80 yards

7 sacks for negative 54 yards

3 QB hurries

2 FF

Link to stats

Junior Year (2007)

12 games played

40 solo, 18 assisted, 58 total tackles

14 tackles for loss for negative 41 yards

3.5 sacks for negative 16 yards

4 QB hurries

I'd take Jerry in a heartbeat too, but I doubt he'll make it past the Lions' second first round and/or the Bucs pick. I'd love to get more aggressive up front and skip the immobile big NT ... if you get penetration, the Runner will have to bounce to the outside where you can swarm him. But for that style we might have to upgrade the OLB spots too.

I'd take Jerry in a heartbeat too, but I doubt he'll make it past the Lions' second first round and/or the Bucs pick. I'd love to get more aggressive up front and skip the immobile big NT ... if you get penetration, the Runner will have to bounce to the outside where you can swarm him. But for that style we might have to upgrade the OLB spots too.

Lions won't take him.