How this team drafts will show us what TD is truly thinking

FalcD56

A lot of us have been scratching our heads over the current free agency period. We have a lot of holes to fill on defense, and like last year I expect all our early picks to be thrown to the fire. A lot of talk has been made of selecting Michael Johnson with the 24th pick. Selecting Johnson shows that Jamaal's chance to be a starter here has faded away. Personally, I wanted to give JA another year, but after hearing about his work ethic (RE: Chuck Smith) and reviewing his tape, I'd be perfectly fine with dumping him now and just labeling him a bust. MJ would instantly be a fan favorite, and it would give our line some BALANCE. As good as Abe was last year, he would have been even better if all the attention wasn't on him.

When building a defense, it's best to go from the lines out. Whether or not we draft a safety or corner high, the secondary will still be our biggest weakness. A defense's success stems from the personnel up front, and shoring that up first should be a priority.

If you are wondering who we should take, forget that the former 8th overall pick starts at defensive end. Instead, just concentrate on the performance.

i just dont see how people can label him a bust already...its been what 2 years in the league???...yeah he doesnt create that much of a pass rush but he is very good against the run...i wouldnt be against trying him in the middle...not totally against getting michael johnson but we have more areas in NEED...we have an empty outside linebacker spot AND an empty safety spot...itll be fun to see what TD does to plug people in...gotta trust the man

i just dont see how people can label him a bust already...its been what 2 years in the league???...yeah he doesnt create that much of a pass rush but he is very good against the run...i wouldnt be against trying him in the middle...not totally against getting michael johnson but we have more areas in NEED...we have an empty outside linebacker spot AND an empty safety spot...itll be fun to see what TD does to plug people in...gotta trust the man

I agree with that last part. I trust whatever Dimitroff does. Regarding the draft, it makes sense to take the BPA in the first round if it fits a need, and the coaches, TD, and Blank know whether or not Jamaal has any true potential on the end. If MJ is a higher rated prospect than the best CB or S available, take MJ and fill out the secondary in the second and third rounds.

point taken after all i was ready to send roddy white and michael jenkins to the lions for a seventh round pick but look how they have blossomed. i also remember the falcons saying something about him being a bit of a project anyway so maybe there is hope he has the physical tools i dont doubt.

ok say we get johnson in the 1st...who do you like in the 2nd and 3rd for those spots???...cb is a need but not as big as safety...chevis jackson i think will have a breakout season starting opposite houston....would be nice to bring one in from our 3rd or 4th though bc we still do have hutchins, irons, and grimes...we still need a backup for sam baker too bc of weiner retiring...and that tight end...man i didnt realize how many people we needed for this team until i started typing...haha

Can you please show me what make you think he is good againts the run. I know ppl keep saying that around here...but i dont see that. I'm not saying he is a bust or anything but i want to give me legitimate reasons he is helping our D.

Can you please show me what make you think he is good againts the run. I know ppl keep saying that around here...but i dont see that. I'm not saying he is a bust or anything but i want to give me legitimate reasons he is helping our D.

People say that because we struggled against the run when he was hurt. What they don't realize is he missed the game against St. Louis (Steven Jackson) and got hurt in Minnesota (AP). It wouldn't have mattered if he was in or not, those guys are two of the elite backs in the league.

he has shown in games hes decent against the run...and in about 2 or the games he was getting close and putting pressure on the qb just not getting any sacks....but pressure is a good thing too...we knew when we took him he had only played de for a little bit and he was very, very raw...do i wish we had another player playing the position that was an upgrade? yes, but we have him and he is not that bad to where we need to replace him...we have other areas in need and de is down a little ways on the list imho...hes still young but he has tremendous upside...so i dont see why we dont just rotate him and davis and if it doesnt work out by one or two more years, then move on...we just have bigger areas of need

A lot of us have been scratching our heads over the current free agency period. We have a lot of holes to fill on defense, and like last year I expect all our early picks to be thrown to the fire. A lot of talk has been made of selecting Michael Johnson with the 24th pick. Selecting Johnson shows that Jamaal's chance to be a starter here has faded away. Personally, I wanted to give JA another year, but after hearing about his work ethic (RE: Chuck Smith) and reviewing his tape, I'd be perfectly fine with dumping him now and just labeling him a bust. MJ would instantly be a fan favorite, and it would give our line some BALANCE. As good as Abe was last year, he would have been even better if all the attention wasn't on him.

When building a defense, it's best to go from the lines out. Whether or not we draft a safety or corner high, the secondary will still be our biggest weakness. A defense's success stems from the personnel up front, and shoring that up first should be a priority.

If you are wondering who we should take, forget that the former 8th overall pick starts at defensive end. Instead, just concentrate on the performance.

If TD takes MJ, I will lose all faith in him and call for his immediate dismissal on here.

He's a situational pass rusher at best. YOu don't draft guys like that in the 1st round.

I wouldn't be opposed to taking Michael Johnson. I think he does have the better chance of being a bust than other players, but his speed and strength will find a use somewhere. There is no way a guy as big and as fast as him can not be used in some form or fashion. I am all for having people who can rush the passer and having depth on the D line.

Michael Johnson thread 114...........

It's time for another Captain and Coke. BRB.... :mellow:

Hang on now. :lol: This one's got potential with the JA98 and secondary talk. Let me see if I can salvage it.

I think many of you fail to accept that there is a very real possibility that JA98's future is at DT. His skill-set is much better suited for this. And as for as him being good against the run, it has nothing to do with stats. Watch him play. He rarely gets washed out of running plays, and almost always forces the run back inside.

Now, as for S and CB...I don't think these are nearly the holes some make them out to be. Guys (and gals) remember, we drafted a safety in the 3rd round last year. You don't get a player in the 3rd that you have no expectations on starting. I think he (DeCoud) will get his chance. At CB, as already suggested, Chevis will be ready to go. That gives us Jackson, Houston, and Hutchins are our main three with forgotten players like Irons and Grimes competing for the dime spot.

See there, no mention of Michael Johnson......oops! I just did. Sorry. :P

Hang on now. :lol: This one's got potential with the JA98 and secondary talk. Let me see if I can salvage it.

I think many of you fail to accept that there is a very real possibility that JA98's future is at DT. His skill-set is much better suited for this. And as for as him being good against the run, it has nothing to do with stats. Watch him play. He rarely gets washed out of running plays, and almost always forces the run back inside.

Now, as for S and CB...I don't think these are nearly the holes some make them out to be. Guys (and gals) remember, we drafted a safety in the 3rd round last year. You don't get a player in the 3rd that you have no expectations on starting. I think he (DeCoud) will get his chance. At CB, as already suggested, Chevis will be ready to go. That gives us Jackson, Houston, and Hutchins are our main three with forgotten players like Irons and Grimes competing for the dime spot.

See there, no mention of Michael Johnson......oops! I just did. Sorry. :P

And that drink was soooooo good too..... Its almost time for another one. :D

I'm actually in favor of giving Jackson and DeCoud a shot this year. They played well enough last season to get the starting nod for this year. Next's years draft is supposedly going to be stacked with DB's both corner and safety.

I think LB/DT are the more important positions to fill, but Im not drinking the MJ Kool-Aid.