"D-Led" has us taking Larry English

g-dawg

AJC Mock - Daryl Ledbetter

English goes to Falcons in early Mock Draft

10:58 am March 20, 2009, by D. Orlando Ledbetter

Larry English could add some pop to the Falcons pass rush. He had 31.5 sacks over his career at Northern Illinois. Photo courtesy of NIU sports information.

Matthew Stafford’s dazzling show at Georgia’s Pro Day did not lock down the No. 1 pick in the draft.

But as one NFC director of player personnel said, “He didn’t hurt himself.”

Georgia running back Knowshon Moreno did not help himself with slow 40-yard dash times. He ran a 4.6 and 4.63 after running a 4.59 at the combine. But he has what some scouts call “front-end” speed and won’t drop out of the first round.

It’s no secret the Falcons will go heavy on defense in this draft. Here are couple of players to track over the next month. They’ll likely still be available when the Falcons pick No. 24.

Northern Illinois defensive end Larry English.

Ohio State linebacker James Laurinaitis.

Virginia linebacker Clint Sintim.

Southern California linebacker Clay Matthews Jr.

Here’s a little bit on English, who measured 6-foot-2, 255 pounds at the NFL scouting combine.

“I’m just a natural competitor and that’s kind of how it’s always been for me,” English said. “I’ve always wanted to be the best. Always wanted to make plays and win and I think those are some of the intangibles that are important in a good football player. You have to be a gentleman off the field and I try to do that.

LEDBETTER’S EARLY MOCK DRAFT

1. Detroit Lions: Jason Smith, OT, Baylor. Lions go with the safe pick.

2. St. Louis Rams: Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest.

3. Kansas City Chiefs: Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia.

4. Seattle Seahawks: Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia.

5. Cleveland Browns: Everette Brown, DE/OLB, Florida State.

6. Cincinnati Bengals: Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech. Bengals ignore his injury woes.

7. Oakland Raiders: B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars: Rey Maualagu, LB, USC. Del Rio can’t resist adding a play maker.

9. Green Bay Packers: Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas.

10. San Francisco 49ers: Mark Sanchez, QB, Southern California.

11. Buffalo Bills: Andre Smith, T, Alabama. Bills decide to believe what they see on tape.

12. Denver Broncos: Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU.

13. Washington Redskins: Brian Cushing, LB, USC.

14. New Orleans Saints: Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri.

15. Houston Texans: Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State.

16. San Diego Chargers: Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss. The second run on tackles starts here.

17. New York Jets: Josh Freeman, QB, Kansas State. Jets get their quarterback of the future.

18. Chicago Bears: Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Eben Britton, OT, Arizona.

20. Detroit Lions (from Dallas): Percy Harvin, WR, Florida. Lions get running mate for Calvin Johnson.

21. Philadelphia Eagles: Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland.

22. Minnesota Vikings: Peria Jerry, DT, Mississippi.

23. New England Patriots: James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State.

24. Atlanta Falcons: Larry English, DE/OLB, Northern Illinois

25. Miami Dolphins: Clint Sintim, LB, Virginia.

26. Baltimore Ravens: Clay Matthews Jr., OLB, USC.

27. Indianapolis Colts: Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia.

28. Philadelphia Eagles (from Carolina): Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State.

29. New York Giants: Hakim Nicks, WR, North Carolina.

30. Tennessee Titans: Duke Robinson, OG, Oklahoma.

31. Arizona Cardinals: Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State.

32. Pittsburgh Steelers: Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech.

So would the Falcons be making a mistake if they select English? Should they trade out of the first round and pick up some more picks? Would it be a good move to address the defensive line in the first round?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Im not sure that adressing the Dline means taking a DE.

He might be under the impression that English is as good, or better, than some of the OLB still on the board at that point. If that is what he believes than Im right there with him.

Personally I would rather pick C. Matthews, even if some dont think he is first round material.

I think that dope is right for a change. I agree that DE is the biggest need and if English is there then he might be the pick. Could be MJ. If Jerry is there then they might have to go with him at DT which is a need too. I think he might be right about English. I do change my opinion on who we should take daily though.

there is nothing wrong with that pick. WE need help getting to the QB and English helps us with that, granted i would rather have Micheal Johnson. I dont think that English would be a EVerydown DE his first year, but i see him evolving into that role, maybe taking over for ABe when he retires with 2 Superbowl rings with the FAlcons. :D

there is nothing wrong with that pick. WE need help getting to the QB and English helps us with that, granted i would rather have Micheal Johnson. I dont think that English would be a EVerydown DE his first year, but i see him evolving into that role, maybe taking over for ABe when he retires with 2 Superbowl rings with the FAlcons. :D

Just say "no" to Larry English.

Just say "no" to a guy that doesn't fit our scheme and is a 3-4 Rush OLB.

Micheal Johnson. :lol::lol::rolleyes:

Just say "no" to Larry English.

Just say "no" to a guy that doesn't fit our scheme and is a 3-4 Rush OLB.

Micheal Johnson. :lol::lol::rolleyes:

What are you talking about a 3-4 Rush OLB, he would be a DE in our 4-3 scheme.

Yeah Micheal Johnson, I think you are going to have to get your Flame TD thread ready Pit. :lol:

What are you talking about a 3-4 Rush OLB, he would be a DE in our 4-3 scheme.

He's built more to be a 3-4 Rush OLB in a 3-4. Like a Harrison or Lamarr Woodley.

Sorry man, my mind is made up on English. Just say "no"

I'll lose all faith in TD if he selects him.

Yeah Micheal Johnson, I think you are going to have to get your Flame TD thread ready Pit. :lol:

I hope not. :(

Just say "no".

He doesn't fit our scheme.

How do you know? Are you a NFL DC that has been trained to what fits our scheme. He is said to be either a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 OLB. I think you just don't like him. Plus, why would we listen to the guy that would even consider starting a "let's fire TD" thread? lol. I'm just playing but English wouldn't be bad and he would be a DE for us. A lot more than just D-Led have us taking him.

He's built more to be a 3-4 Rush OLB in a 3-4. Like a Harrison or Lamarr Woodley.

Sorry man, my mind is made up on English. Just say "no"

I'll lose all faith in TD if he selects him.

I hope not. :(

So you will lose faith in TD if he selects either English or Pettigrew? So Mr. GM with a trained eye for talent, who would TD have to pick to keep your faith? I assume you have someone in mind since if TD picks anyone but him you will want his head.

How do you know? Are you a NFL DC that has been trained to what fits our scheme. He is said to be either a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 OLB. I think you just don't like him. Plus, why would we listen to the guy that would even consider starting a "let's fire TD" thread? lol. I'm just playing but English wouldn't be bad and he would be a DE for us. A lot more than just D-Led have us taking him.

Sorry, I'm not sold on English. Not buying his stock in a 4-3 scheme. He fits a 3-4 much better.

And aren't all of us on here amateur GM's? or DC's? ;)

So you will lose faith in TD if he selects either English or Petegrew? So Mr. GM with a trained eye for talent, who would TD have to pick to keep your faith? I assume you have someone in mind since if TD picks anyone but him you will want his head.

Jerry

Laurenitis

Cushing

Oher(if he falls or is stilla round at 21 or 22)

Delmas

Trade down and take Robert Ayers.

:lol::lol: @ Ledbetter having the Seahawks take Stafford.

And if the Steelers take Johnson, I am gonna be extremely pissed. The Steelers need to take an O-lineman w/their first pick. Hopefully Mack if he is there.

I've seen some Mocks with Seattle taking Stafford and they were apparently very high on Stafford even before he threw yesterday. The said they loved him and he was impressive in their meeting with the x's and o's.

:lol::lol: @ Ledbetter having the Seahawks take Stafford.

And if the Steelers take Johnson, I am gonna be extremely pissed. The Steelers need to take an O-lineman w/their first pick. Hopefully Mack if he is there.

This looks to be a disappointed for both of your teams, too bad you for, I guess to got two Flame Threads you got to start.

Sorry, I'm not sold on English. Not buying his stock in a 4-3 scheme. He fits a 3-4 much better.

And aren't all of us on here amateur GM's? or DC's? ;)

Yes we are. lol. I was just playin. I change my mind daily right now for who I want. I don't think English would be a bad pick because we desperately need help putting pressure on the QB.

I think English would be a great pick up, hes versatile, meaning he can get down in a 3pt stance and come off the edge, or drop back in a 3-4. If hes there I say we should take him. His athleticism would also help with zone blitzing, him and abe both dropping back into zone would be a scary thought for opposing qb's.

What a great pick that would be. Larry English or Brandon Pettigrew you can't go wrong..

*sits back and waits for pit's response*

I know that you are happy FalconMama. I was reading the Chat with Pat Yaskinsas and he seems to be very high on Micheal Johnson and mentioned that we were extremely interested in MJ.

Jerry

Laurenitis

Cushing

Oher(if he falls or is stilla round at 21 or 22)

Delmas

Trade down and take Robert Ayers.

I like your list a lot with the exception of Laurentis. He is a MLB and does not have the speed to play OLB. Other than that, I do like it. And I think Oher would be a steal even though we are OK at OT. I can't figure out why he's dropping like he is but I think Detroit takes Stafford #1 and then takes Oher with their second 1st rounder.

I've seen some Mocks with Seattle taking Stafford and they were apparently very high on Stafford even before he threw yesterday. The said they loved him and he was impressive in their meeting with the x's and o's.

Yeah but in a WCO though?

ANd in a Greg Knapp offense at that? :blink: **** that!

It would be good for him to sit and learn from Hasselbeck, though. He's a good one to learn from.

But Staff isn't a WCO QB.

This looks to be a disappointed for both of your teams, too bad you for, I guess to got two Flame Threads you got to start.

Fortunately the Steelers have a solid history of not making stupid picks in the 1st rd. So they won't take MJ.

ANd Dimitroff can earn my trust for good if he has another good draft.