Top Posters In This Topic

Marvin Gaye

The Isley Brothers (Had to do it!!)

Da mn..............hti is hard, give me a little more time!!! :unsure:

I know I am still thinking myself.

So far I have:

Marvin Gaye

Luther Vandross, I am stuck here.

I keep think of Bobby Brown and the joke Jaime Foxx did when Whitney Houston call Bobby Brown the king of R&B. Jaime Foxx said what the king of rocks and blounts. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here's a random 5..

Temptations

Stevie Wonder

James Brown

Prince

Micheal Jackson

I think there were some r&b topics a good while ago.

But see here is the problem would Michael Jackson and Prince be considered R&B? I think Michael was more pop and Prince was more Rock & Roll. We need this established before I post my ranking.

But see here is the problem would Michael Jackson and Prince be considered R&B? I think Michael was more pop and Prince was more Rock & Roll. We need this established before I post my ranking.

Yes I would not consider Prince or Micheal Jackson R&B not Jackson 5 yes I would consider them R&B.

Too many to name. Off the top of my head:

The Temptations

James Brown

Sam Cooke

Parliment/Funkadelic

Bobby "Blue" Bland

Otis Redding

Aretha Franklin

Ray Charles

Prince

Top 5 all time, in your opinion? :huh: :huh:

Okay I am ready

Top 5 R&B Artist:

Luther Vandross

Barry White

Marvin Gaye

R. Kelly

Mary J. Blige

Old school mix with new school artist.

Ahh man I forgot about Mary J., I might have to put her in over Aaliyah, I liked them both, but I remember my Mama always listening to Mary J. She had some classics.

I'm going to go download some Luther V. and Barry White.

Yes I would not consider Prince or Micheal Jackson R&B not Jackson 5 yes I would consider them R&B.

Top 5 all time, in your opinion? :huh: :huh:

If I absolutely had to boil it down to only five, then I'm looking at innovation: the people who brought it to the mains.tream and changed the genre:

1. The Temptations (brought attention to the Motown Sound)

2. Sam Cooke (popularized Soul)

3. James Brown (brought in Funk)

4. Parliment/Funkadelic (brought in P-Funk)

5. Ray Charles (showed how rock, soul, gospel and country could intermix; genius)

I gotta go with:

5: Jill Scott

4: Ronald Isley

3: Teddy Pendergrass

2. Marvin Gaye

1. Luther Vandross

Honorable mention to: Curtis Mayfield, Al Green, R. Kelly, Stephanie Mills, Denise Williams, Boyz II Men, New Edition, Early Mariah Carey, Maxwell, Barry White, Joe, Robin Thicke, Whitney Houston, Raheem DeVaughn, Otis Redding, Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, James Brown.

I know I'm forgetting some folks but yeah this is all I got right now.

If I absolutely had to boil it down to only five, then I'm looking at innovation: the people who brought it to the mains.tream and changed the genre:

1. The Temptations (brought attention to the Motown Sound)

2. Sam Cooke (popularized Soul)

3. James Brown (brought in Funk)

4. Parliment/Funkadelic (brought in P-Funk)

5. Ray Charles (showed how rock, soul, gospel and country could intermix; genius)

Usher, Chris Brown, Ginuwine, Bobby Brown, Micheal Jackson and many other all owe this man credit because they have all stole some of his moves. Ciara, Bey, Ashanti the list goes on and on.

I gotta go with:

5: Jill Scott

4: Ronald Isley

3: Teddy Pendergrass

2. Marvin Gaye

1. Luther Vandross

Honorable mention to: Curtis Mayfield, Al Green, R. Kelly, Stephanie Mills, Denise Williams, Boyz II Men, New Edition, Early Mariah Carey, Maxwell, Barry White, Joe, Robin Thicke, Whitney Houston, Raheem DeVaughn, Otis Redding, Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder.

I know I'm forgetting some folks but yeah this is all I got right now.

**** Robin Thicke has a lot of old soul to him.

Funny you'd mention Donny...............................I'm listening to "A Donny Hathaway Collection" as I type!! "For All We Know" would send a CLEAR message, and "A Song For You" was a GUARANTEED panty dropper back in the day! Let me go back and edit!

Edit: I'd know the Christmas season was REALLY Christmas (not withstanding the reason for the season) when the stations would start rocking "This Christmas" continuously!!

10 posts and 0 mentions of Donny Hathaway?

'scust