Atlanta in talks to move UGA-Florida game here.

SacFalcFan

Great news..

Atlanta in talks to move UGA-Florida game here

By LEON STAFFORD

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Friday, March 20, 2009

The Atlanta Sports Council is “in discussions” with the University of Georgia about trying to bring the Georgia-Florida football game to the Georgia Dome periodically.

Gary Stokan, president of the group, said Friday that it’s pushing to have the game played in Atlanta for at least one of the four years in an upcoming new contract between the schools.

“We’re not asking to move half the games or all of the games to Atlanta,” Stokan said. “We respect tradition. We’re just looking for one of the four.”

Georgia’s contract to play Florida in Jacksonville — a location that has long rankled Dogs fans — expires next year.

The Sports Council has pushed unsuccessfully to bring the game to Atlanta in the past, and Stokan acknowledged it will be Georgia officials’ call as to whether to demand a venue change in negotiations on a new contract.

“Whenever I see [uGA Athletic Director] Damon Evans I bring it up and talk about the possibilities,” Stokan said, adding he has not gotten any commitment from Evans.

Evans was immediately unavailable for comment Friday, but his counterpart at Florida, Jeremy Foley, said his school’s position hasn’t changed.

“Obviously, we have heard of these kind of discussions before,” Foley said. “We have been strong proponents of keeping the game in Jacksonville and that has not changed. I have a great deal of respect for Damon and I know that he must do what he thinks is best for the University of Georgia. We believe the Florida-Georgia game in Jacksonville is a great tradition and we look forward to maintaining that tradition.”

One factor that could work against the Dome is the facility’s smaller size. It seats about 72,000 fans versus 82,000 for the stadium in Jacksonville.

“We feel financially we could make up the difference,” Stokan said.

The Sports Council pitches Atlanta as a location for major sports events ranging from the Super Bowl to college basketball tournaments. It also operates the Chick-fil-A bowl.

The Georgia-Florida game is usually played the last Saturday in November.

The game has been held in Jacksonville since 1933, with the exception of 1994 and ‘95, when construction at the stadium forced it to the school’s home sites.

The first meeting between the two teams was played in Jacksonville in 1915. It was played at different sites from 1916-1932.

I dont know about this.... to me, it's not GA-FLA if it's not in Jacksonville. It sounds like we are just trying to make up excuses why we keep losing to UF. Outside the stadium, sure, there's not a neutral site feeling. But inside, the stadium is 50/50 so I don't see the big deal. UGA has traveled distances plenty farther than Jacksonville and still been able to kick some ***. It's not the distance that's causing us to lose.

Plus, come on, tailgating surrounded by concrete? Playing a game indoors in the fall? Not a great atmosphere if you ask me.

I'm torn on this one. I think it's complete BS that the Gators get to take an hour bus ride over while it takes us 7. On the other hand, I love getting to go down to FL for 3 days for this event. Being on the St. Johns river, getting drunk at the Landing, and trash talking 50,000 Gator fans is always the highlight of football season for me. Those are some things Atlanta just can't duplicate.

We're already averaging about a win every fours years now...don't see this as a drastic improvement honestly.

I dont know about this.... to me, it's not GA-FLA if it's not in Jacksonville. It sounds like we are just trying to make up excuses why we keep losing to UF. Outside the stadium, sure, there's not a neutral site feeling. But inside, the stadium is 50/50 so I don't see the big deal. UGA has traveled distances plenty farther than Jacksonville and still been able to kick some ***. It's not the distance that's causing us to lose.

Plus, come on, tailgating surrounded by concrete? Playing a game indoors in the fall? Not a great atmosphere if you ask me.

the only reason it's in jacksonville in the first place was due to the violence at home games so they felt it was moved there to be safe.. there was no tradition going to jacksonville other than to avoid deaths. if you fans don't think there is not an advantage of playing right now to where you are compared ot traveling down the state then we won't agree. Mark Richt wants to bring revenue into Georgia as well. Why continue to give all that money to florida? why make every game an away game? I mean i know it's fun to get drunk and run around without any clothing and make a complete fool of oneself, but you can do that in atlanta too.. :lol: :P

I'm torn on this one. I think it's complete BS that the Gators get to take an hour bus ride over while it takes us 7. On the other hand, I love getting to go down to FL for 3 days for this event. Being on the St. Johns river, getting drunk at the Landing, and trash talking 50,000 Gator fans is always the highlight of football season for me. Those are some things Atlanta just can't duplicate.

We're already averaging about a win every fours years now...don't see this as a drastic improvement honestly.

the only argument i have heard from dawg fans to keep it in jacksonville is due to the vacation factor, but i only care about the football factor and if CMR wants it moved I am all for it.

College Football should not be played in Dome's unless in upstate New York. <_< <_< <_< <_<

The SECCG played in the GA Dome is one of the most electrifying atmospheres in college football. I went to the Clemson/Alabama game last year...pretty much the same deal. Both games were big ticket items.

yeah let's see uf travel all the way up for games now instead of uga having to make that bus ride to jacksonville every year.

There may be some truth to that element from a psych standpoint, but I guarantee FL fans would be here. Same reason I always make the trip to Jax every year. A classic that is not one to be missed.

I have mixed emotions about it...GA fans never complained about a trip to the beach and a W until FL became relevant in the SEC in 1990 and really amped up their annual performances. I like going to Jax every year-something nostalgic about it to me. However, I'm all for whatever can give an edge to the Dawgs...there's no sugar coating how poorly we've performed in Jax since 1990.

Georgia’s contract to play Florida in Jacksonville — a location that has long rankled Dogs fans — expires next year.

Coincidentally since about 1990. :rolleyes:

Doesn't bother me a bit though. There's nothing I'd love more than to see Demps and Rainey on turf. Plus I may actually be able to spend less than a testicle to go to the game every once in awhile.

Coincidentally since about 1990. :rolleyes:

that is not true.. i remember before dooley left there was a number of dawg fans who wanted it home and home and dooley and the admin turned it down saying that it would cause too much violence on both campuses each year (which was why it was moved to jacksonville in the first place). that was when we had a much bigger advantage than now..

Too much violence? come on now, this rivalry isn't THAT big.

Every time I go to Jacksonville I have nothing but a great time with all the Georgia fans, and everyone enjoys each other's company. There's a reason it's called The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail PARTY, everyone has a good time with each other. Fights happen every now and then due to the alcohol involved but I'm willing to bet that's not the reason the game has been played in Jacksonville since the 30's. I've never heard that before, and it seems kind of ridiculous to me even if it is true.

which means nothing to his year and next and the next decade.. it's time to change things up regarding where it's played..

And why? Because you guys have gotten your teeth kicked in for 20 years now?

This game has been a Jacksonville tradition since the 30's, it would be a shame to see it dismantled because a bunch of pups can't handle getting worked nearly every year.

I thought you dogs were so big on tradition.

I don't recall ever hearing UGA fans complaining about going to Jacksonville back in the '80s when they owned the Gators. Suck it up.

80s??? Try ever. The Dawgs owned this rivalry until the stinkfest that has been ongoing since 1990. Totally agree: play better ball and the moan/groan goes away and all that's discussed is a fun beach trip to look fwd to every year.

And why? Because you guys have gotten your teeth kicked in for 20 years now?

This game has been a Jacksonville tradition since the 30's, it would be a shame to see it dismantled because a bunch of pups can't handle getting worked nearly every year.

I thought you dogs were so big on tradition.

What tradition? Do you know why it was moved there? I guess you want to ignore posts since I already stated the desire to move was before uf discovered college football and what it meant to win an sec title in the 90s. why should the state of florida get the revenues yearly? Georgia needs the money as well and moving it to atlanta is fine (since a home and home will not happen). What you afraid to do this? You don't like moving it from your backyard do you? It's clear the biggest advantage is that bye week.

I don't recall ever hearing UGA fans complaining about going to Jacksonville back in the '80s when they owned the Gators. Suck it up.

I agree and I'm definitely not gonna blame the location of the game as to why we're getting our *** handed to us every year. I think we all remember what happened last time Spurrier was in Athens. Mark Richt needs to develop a Spurrier like attitude towards Florida...that's when the tables will turn. No amount of location changing is gonna do it IMO.

Too much violence? come on now, this rivalry isn't THAT big.

Every time I go to Jacksonville I have nothing but a great time with all the Georgia fans, and everyone enjoys each other's company. There's a reason it's called The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail PARTY, everyone has a good time with each other. Fights happen every now and then due to the alcohol involved but I'm willing to bet that's not the reason the game has been played in Jacksonville since the 30's. I've never heard that before, and it seems kind of ridiculous to me even if it is true.

yep too much violence.. a reason why they won't play the game at night is due to the last time it happened a few fans were killed. The reason why it isn't a home and home is due to the violence.. It was moved in the 30s (1933) due to the violence and not tradition.. there is no tradition moving it to jacksonville and per vince dooley uga will not have to get permission and they are being asked to bring those 100,000 visitors to Atlanta instead of feeding the florida economy.. I love the idea.. gator fans shouldn't really care either way.

I agree and I'm definitely not gonna blame the location of the game as to why we're getting our *** handed to us every year. I think we all remember what happened last time Spurrier was in Athens. Mark Richt needs to develop a Spurrier like attitude towards Florida...that's when the tables will turn. No amount of location changing is gonna do it IMO.

i don't see anyone blaming the location. i see fans saying it's about time to get the game back in the state of georgia.. cmr wants this.. many fans want this.. and the state of Georgia will benefit from it and UGA is the state University and should bring that money home.. this is great news if they work this out.

10 reasons the UGA-UF game should be played on CAMPUS.

I realize the majority will disagree with me but I've never been a fan of playing this game in Jacksonville and it has nothing to due with the lopsided series outcome of late. I think the bye week issue has a much bigger impact in that regard. But...

1. The same 41K fans renew their tickets every year and the rest of the fan base gets shut out. Scalpers and eBay is not a reasonable alternative when you're planning a mini-vacation.

2. It's the biggest game on the schedule and we never bring it to our home campus. We lose the opportunity for exposure, hosting top recruits, etc.

3. Neutral sites are overrated for almost any sport. A neutral site will never match the crowd noise and intensity of a home game on either campus.

4. Playing in JAX benefits Jacksonville economically instead of our own surrounding community.

5. We have to treat it like a road game every year in terms of game week preparations and travel.

6. Some fans love the party and tradition but others of us can't make a road trip on Halloween weekend due to family or work commitments. A home game however would be just fine.

7. Because so many of our fans take off work, spend huge money, etc. on this mini-vacation in mid-season, it most likely hurts our turnout for bowl games.

8. Playing this game in a neutral site makes it hard to schedule OOC games because it reduces the number of home games we'll have.

9. The lack of home games often puts us on the road for an entire month late in the season.

10. Since when is Jacksonville the only city that can host an awesome party or create a great game day atmosphere?

Moving to the Dome doesn't excite me at all because it still fails to address most of these points, including #1 which is the biggest issue for me personally.

I found the above on another site.